Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11283 Discussions

NUC lights stay on when shut down

hadesc
Beginner

As the title says. The skull, the power button and the power button stay on.

Latest bios applied. I tried making the bios manage the lights but nothing changed.

I see many others have reported the fault. Please help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @hadesc

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is this a new Intel® NUC or was it working fine before?

2- Just to make sure (since the power button is mentioned twice in the first post), if this happening only with the skull and the power button?

3- If this worked fine before, was there any recent hardware or software change (Windows*, driver, or software updates?)

4- Could you please provide more details regarding the different settings that you have tried either on the BIOS or through software and provide screenshots if possible?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

hadesc
Beginner

1 New

2 Skull, eyes, power button and power-led (green)

3 There have been updates etc since the NUC came with Windows 10 but had to update and install the software I needed. As I understand from other posts, this might be a bios issue. However the bios is supposed to be the latest one.

4 I have gone into the bios and removed the "software managed" settings for the LED so that bios would have sole control of it but makes no difference. In fact, the problem started showing up before I even installed the LED manager software, which to my surprise did not come pre-installed.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I suggest that you reinstall the latest BIOS, but this time via the BIOS Recovery method. This is documented here: Intel NUC BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions. You can initiate BIOS Recovery from the Power Button Menu (PBM). Power off the NUC. Insert a USB Flash disk that contains the .BIO file. Then, power it back on, but continue to hold the power button pressed in until it changes color (it takes about 4 seconds for this to occur) and then release. The PBM should show up in a few seconds (15 max). From there, press F4 to initiate the BIOS Recovery. When it is done, it will stop and tell you what to do.

Why are you doing this? The LEDs are controlled by an embedded controller (EC, a microprocessor built into the Super I/O chip). As part of any BIOS installation, the firmware for this EC, if modified, is supposed to be updated in this EC. To ensure that is absolutely is, we use the BIOS Recovery process. Clear as mud?

Hope this helps,

...S

hadesc
Beginner

I did the bios recovery.

it will take a few days of usage for the issue to return... if it does.

hadesc
Beginner

The issue re-occurred but in another form.

The machine powered off fine with the LED off. However, when I went to turn it on, it would not.

If I long pressed the power button it would beep and do nothing.

In order to power-on the machine I had to pull out and put back in the power cable.

I do not believe this to be a different issue. I think there is a fundamental problem with the motherboard or the bios.

hadesc
Beginner

The issue has now re-occurred as initially reported too.

Any more suggestions?

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @hadesc

Thank you for your response.

We understand that the issue persists even after trying a BIOS recovery and actually, the Intel® NUC experienced another issue where it would not power on unless you pull out and put back in the power cable.

Based on those facts and considering this is a new Intel® NUC, if you are within the first 30 days from the date of purchase, we recommend contacting your place of purchase to check the warranty options for your system.

Otherwise, try contacting us directly; feel free to refer to this post once you contact Intel Customer Support.

Here is our "contact us" information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7

We would recommend phone or chat support venues during your regular working hours.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. We will leave the thread open in case other users want to participate, but if you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician