Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12322 Discussions

NUC not powering on after Flashing image for Intel(R) Management Engine firmware ... [failed!]

Pernat1y
Beginner

Hello.

I upgraded BIOS on my NUC from version 72 to 82 (latest, at this moment).

After that, I got warning on boot: "(A7) Me FW Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed".

I followed 'BIOS Recovery by Security Jumper' documentation, but got and error, while flashing BIOS:

Flashing image for Intel(R) Management Engine firmware ... [failed!]

Flash update failed!

Technical information: (0x8000000000000007, 0)

After that, I turned NUC off, placed jumper back and plugged power in. Power button glowing orange (as expected), but after pressing it, NUC completely powers off (except of green light on motherboard).

Model: Intel NUC NUC7i7BNHX1

RAM: 2 * HyperX 16Gb

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mrswadge
Beginner

I'm having the exact same issue on a NUC7i5BNH. Did you ever get past this?

PXL_20220401_173818170.MP.jpg

The lights are on, but the screen is just black since rebooting it. I tried disconnecting the CMOS battery to drain the residual current, but still no joy.

PXL_20220401_183756580.MP.jpg

mrswadge
Beginner

I tried a few things.

1. Removed M.2
  2. Removed HDD 
  3. Removed Memory

Still no signs of life.

I was looking at the what I think is the BIOS chip and trying to figure out what it is. I reckon it needs to be reprogrammed or the BIOS chip replaced. I found a "Winbond" chip on the board, so I believe this could be the BIOS, but I can't quite make out the writing.

I'm going to investigate how much it might cost for it to be replaced on the motherboard, but if it's not economical then I think it's a new machine.

I can't quite read the writing on the chip sadly, it looks like W25X and then it's unclear until the G on the end. Any ideas?

https://www.winbond.com/hq/search/?__locale=en&q=w25x3 

PXL_20220402_091410726.MP-cropped.jpg

mrswadge
Beginner

I found a better picture of the BIOS chip on nucblog.net. The BIOS chip is a 25X10CL which seems to be a "1Mb Density". I'm not 100% sure this is correct as the documentation here states 64Mb Flash EEPROM. Perhaps I am looking at the wrong chip...?

nuc7i5bnk_mainboard[1].jpg

mrswadge
Beginner

I contacted a man in Cumbria (England) who repairs BIOS chips. He was able to point to a different chip on the motherboard which was on the other side of the board (cooler fan side). It turns out that the BIOS chip is actually a Winbond 25Q64FVSIO which makes more sense as this is a 64Mb chip. I should get the board back next week. 

PXL_20220406_134312475.MP.jpg