Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PMole
Beginner

NUC (nuc6cays) help updating HDMI firmware

Hi I've been using Win10 with the Nuc (nuc6cays) for a couple years now but like others I'm having trouble getting my new Samsung HDTV (49" QN49Q6F) to recognize it through the HDMI port. I have searched through the forums and gotten some help and tried a few things, but I'm having trouble with upgrading my NUC. I've successfully flashed the bios with AYAPLCEL.86A.0049.EB but I'm confused about the HDMI firmware upgrade "NUC6CAY-NUC7ixBN-HDMI-Update-1.72". I found this reference in an old post as a possible fix to the HDMI problem, but I'm a little confused on how to work the "Bobcat Aux ISP Tool" software. It seems I'm using this program to run the files found in the "bin" folder, but no matter what file I run, it fails. First all, is this firmware update still relevant? When it comes to flashing bios and firmware/driver updates I'm of the mindset that if it ain't broke don't fix it. If anyone can advise me on which updates to apply to fix this problem please let me know. I was able to find a tutorial on how to install the HDMI firmware, but it said nothing about how to use Bobcat and I don' know what "FW" refers to. The other possible problem is that the tutorial says I must be hooked up to an HDMI 2.0 compliant device which is impossible in terms of the Samsung as hooking up is the problem. I did run bobcat while hooked up to a different HDMI monitor, but I was unable to be certain if this was HDMI compliant.

Beyond that I've confirmed the HDMI cable is fine and that HDMI works fine with the HDTV using a different PC. I spend two or three hours trying to get the HDMI to work including returning and getting the same TV thinking the problem might be with the "ONE CONNECT" box that comes with the TV. This box attaches to the TV with it's own priority cable. At one point, the one connect box feel 2 feet to the floor, then when I picked it up, the HDMI port was recognized, but only for as long as the TV was on. After that it went back to being unable to detect the PC, although it's clear the HDTV knew something was connected to the HDMI port. Hot swapping didn't work and I've tried all 4 HDMI ports available on the TV. I don't get a blank screen or a boot screen or anything. Just the Samsung screen showing it failed to establish a connection.

I realize there are other posts on this topic which I am still exploring.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello pmole,

I understand that you are currently experiencing issues with the connection of the NUC to the TV via HDMI.

Regarding this, I would like to begin by asking for an Intel ® System Support Utility report, this report can be generated with our tool which you can download from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Also, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

Make sure to attach the reports to this thread. Something else I would like to ask is if you have tried different TVs or monitors to see if they work properly so as to isolate the problem and makes sure if it is only that specific Samsung* TV. Are you able to connect the HDMI cable to the TV directly instead of the One Connect* box? If so, please try it and let me know the outcome of this.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

David V
PMole
Beginner

Before we get into all that, could you simply confirm if "NUC6CAY-NUC7ixBN-HDMI-Update-1.72" is a proper update for the 6cays and tell me how to install it? I've already spend several hours trying to solve this issue and I'm about ready to throw the NUC away and just buy another non-intel PC. Old forum posts indicate this is a common issue with the NUC and likely not related my personal settings.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, it is the correct update for the NUC6CAYS, NUC6CAYH, NUC7i# BNH and NUC7i# BNK. You did read the part where your 4K monitor/TV needs to be connected to the HDMI output while you install the update, right?

...S

PMole
Beginner

"You did read the part where your 4K monitor/TV needs to be connected to the HDMI output while you install the update, right?"

Scott,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I referred to that in my OP. The problem is if I could connect the NUC to the HDMI 2.0 complaint HDTV, I wouldn't care about updating the HDMI in the first place. I have tried hot swapping the cable from a working monitor to the Samsung, but no luck. One thing I could try is to have the mouse precisely placed such that I could run the update without having to actually see the screen. Then I could hotswap knowing I'll have no picture, but still be able to run the update. However, I don't know if this would count as "connected to HDMI 2.0 device" and even if it did, the software used (bobcat) is not so straight forward. Running the program (bobcat) seems to create some sort of data file, but there's also the option to run one of the three individual files found in the bin folder and there are two ways to do that. I can't do that in the dark. Perhaps with some sort of command line parameter using dos. And so this is why I've started a post on how to run the firmware.

EDIT: Also, I can confirm that when I did run bobcat, I was connect to a monitor via HDMI, but it was too old to be HDMI 2.0 so it's understandable why the upgrade didn't work.

David,

That you for your help. I'll try to get the information you require, but the NUC does not currently have an internet connection, nor is it part of my wifi network. I will need to use a flash drive to collect and return the information. I'll try to get that done and get back to you, but I will still have my question regarding how to use bobcat.

Also, the ONLY way to connect HDMI to the Samsung TV is by using the ONE CONNECT box.

n_scott_pearson

Do you not have an older monitor or TV that you can connect via the NUC6CAYS' VGA connector to (at least temporarily) use as your Windows display until you have the update installed? This is what I did.

...S

PMole
Beginner

Scott,

I have tried the NUC on two different HDTVs and a monitor and it works fine. For the HDTVs I used HDMI to connect, but it was not 2.0 HMDI. The new Samsung supports HDMI 2.0 and for this HDTV, the nuc will not connect.

PMole
Beginner

David,

I have attached the files you requested. Thank you for your help.

Edit: Data for these files was collected with the NUC connected to a HDTV via HDMI, but not using HDMI 2.0.

n_scott_pearson

You have nothing you can connect to the VGA connector? Have you checked *all* of your TVs for a VGA connector?

PMole
Beginner

Scott,

I don't understand the point in seeking out or using a VGA connection. Please explain.

n_scott_pearson

It's simple...

• You need to have the 4K TV connected to the HDMI connector while you apply F/W update.
  • The 4K TV will not work until this update is applied.
  • You need another monitor connected so that you can use it to log into Windows and apply the F/W update.
  • Unless you upgraded to Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Enterprise, you cannot use a remote monitor (i.e. use the Remote Desktop Connection tool from another Windows-based PC).
  • What method is left to hook up another monitor? The VGA connector.

...S

PMole
Beginner

Okay, so you're suggesting I run the NUC hooked up with two monitors, one VGA, and the other the Samsung HDMI 2.0. That sounds like a good idea, but I'll need a little time to check and get back to you.

In the meantime, running the bobcat software it's unclear to me what's happening. Just by running BobcatAuxISPTool, is the patch/firmware being applied? There seems to be more to it. Under ISP File Setup there's a browse function for "Driver File" and another browse function for "FW File". When browsing, they start in the "bin" folder that was unzipped along with bobcat. Bin folder contains the following:

BobcatIsp_v1.02_cut2.2_aux_SA_signed

MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.72.00_LSPCON_MP_FHC_SIGNED_CMDB_AY

MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.72.00_LSPCON_MP_FHC_SIGNED_CMDB_BN

Each of these three files can be selected and run, but I'm not sure which one if any is appropriate and I'm not sure if I should be running them under the "Driver File" path or the "FW file" palth.

PMole
Beginner

Scott/David,

I was able to connect the NUC via VGA to a monitor while also connecting it to the HDMI port of the troublesome Samsung HDTV. As expected, the Samsung did not detect, but the VGA monitor did. I did NOT attempt to put the Win10 settings in dual or clone mode or anything like that. I assumed it was enough that the HDMI cable was connected to the Samsung.

I ran the bobcat firmware software and then ran each of the three above mentioned files found in the bin folder as described above. Running all three under Driver and all three under FW, they all failed just as before. Shutting down the NUC and restarting it made no difference.

Below I have cut&pasted the entire output from the "BobcatAuxISPTool" file created and updated by bobcat. During this last attempt I unzipped the update file to a new location and ran it from there so all data you see below is only from this session.

Gfx Selection = 0

Graphics adapter initialization - NVIDIA: failed! (-2)

Graphics adapter initialization - AMD: Loading DLL failed!

Graphics adapter initialization - Intel (LS-PCON): done!

Device ID: 0x0C = N/A (0x25)

Device ID: 0x0D = OK

====================================

07/25/18 13:22:24

Current Firmware Version: Bobcat App: MC2800 v1.60 (cut2.2)

System Reset ...Not available!

Open FW file failed!

Open FW file failed!

07/25/18 13:22:30

Open FW file failed!

Open FW file failed!

07/25/18 13:22:36

Open FW file failed!

Open FW file failed!

07/25/18 13:22:42

Load ISP driver failed!

ISP failed! (2)

ISP failed! (2)

07/25/18 13:22:59

Current Firmware Version: MC2800 v1.60 (HWver=0x22)

ISP initialization failed!

ISP failed! (1)

ISP failed! (1)

07/25/18 13:23:08

Current Firmware Version: MC2800 v1.60 (HWver=0x22)

ISP initialization failed!

ISP failed! (1)

ISP failed! (1)

------------------------------------

Gfx Selection = 0

Graphics adapter initialization - NVIDIA: failed! (-2)

Graphics adapter initialization - AMD: Loading DLL failed!

Graphics adapter initialization - Intel (LS-PCON): done!

Device ID: 0x0C = N/A (0x25)

Device ID: 0x0D = N/A (0xF)

Device ID: 0x0E = N/A (0xF)

Device ID: 0x0F = N/A (0x25)

Graphics adapter initialization - Intel: done!

Device GUID: 0x100 [AUX] = OK

PMole
Beginner

Scott,

There's a similar active thread in this same forum:

On this thread, Intel Tech, "Wanner G." is instructing that OP how to install the same HDMI firmware with the instructions:

"-There can only be one video device plugged into the HDMI port and it must be an HDMI 2.0 device."

While it sounded like a good idea to me, it now seems that having the NUC output to monitor via VGA (so I can see it) while also having it output to my Samsung via HDMI would not be a good solution because only ONE video device may be plugged in. Unless of course this was just a precaution by Wanner G. Either way, I'm not sure how I can plug into a 2.0 HDMI video device and run the software when my problem is I can't see anything using the HDMI 2.0 compliant device (Samsung).

Again, I could hot swap with my mouse right on the file to execute, then hook it up to the Samsung and click/run bobcast in-the-dark, so to speak, but again the problem is the way the software runs requiring you to browse for a bin file.

PMole
Beginner

David,

Other things I've tried, but with no change in results:

Updated the firmware of my Samsung HDTV to newest available

Booting NUC in safe mode (via msconfig) with HDMI connected to Samsung

Samsung TV has special External Device settings

I have tried turning Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) both ON and OFF (default is ON).

There is also a HDMI UHD Color mode which I have tried both on and off to no avail

As a reference, here is a link to my Samsung 49" HDTV's manual:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2017-qled-tv-q6f-series 2017 QLED TV (Q6F Series) | Owner Information & Support | Samsung US

Whenever I have done anything with the NUC trouble solving this issue, I have done it logged in as administrator

I have tried different HDMI cables. The one I'm using now was purchased in 2012 from Amazon. My old order says this is a high speed HDMI cable, but it's not printed on the cable. Even so, I have ordered a new High Speed HDMI cable which I will get by this Friday.

Is there a way to identify what version of HDMI my NUC current has? How do I know if my NUC supports HDMI 2.0? I couldn't find anything in dxdiag.

PMole
Beginner

David/Scott,

Well, it's a tedious process, but I think I figured out a way to hotswap. I boot a non-NUC PC while the Samsung TV is on. Non-NUC PC is detected by Samsung and everything works fine. Meanwhile, I have my NUC booted to desktop and outputting via HDMI to a different monitor. To hotswap, I take the HDMI out of the non-NUC PC and put it in the NUC instead. Although my results aren't consistent, typically this results in the Samsung TV working for the NUC, but sometimes it doesn't. When it does, I'm able to use my desktop and run bobcat, the firmware software.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING THE FIRMWARE ARE NOT CLEAR OR COMPLETE

As a result, I don't know how to use it. I've tried a few things, but after the bobcat finishes its attempt, the screen goes blank and I lose my connection. It seems that if I don't run bobcat, the screen stays and is not lost but I haven't experimented enough to be certain about this. Screen connection is always lost if TV is turned off or I switch to a different onscreen output like LIVE TV.

Getting back to the firmware "bobcat", once it's run, it has two zones... one for Driver and one for FW, each with a browse function which defaults to the "bin" folder included with the firmware download. Inside this bin are three files:

BobcatIsp_v1.02_cut2.2_aux_SA_signed

MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.72.00_LSPCON_MP_FHC_SIGNED_CMDB_AY

MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.72.00_LSPCON_MP_FHC_SIGNED_CMDB_BN

For the last two files listed, the only difference are the last two characters. Does the AY refer to NUC6CAYS? Does the driver have to be the file ending in "AY" while the "FW" selection need to be something else or perhaps the opposite? I've tried it a few times now, but it's been hours and don't have any more time to dedicate to this today.

The hotswapping process is time consuming because it requires everything including the TV to be powered down and restarted and the TV takes a couple minutes to detect anything new and in the end it doesn't always work. Also, as mentioned, forum user ogg_swe started a similar post in this same subforum and he lost his HDMI capability from what seems to be a misuse of the firmware, so that's another reason I'd rather not randomly try different configurations of the firmware software.

So please can I get some specific information on how to run the firmware software? Now that I can hotswap, I may have a chance. Thank you!

Chris_V_Intel

You are correct, the instructions are not complete.

They were altered w/o my knowledge.

Until I can get them posted again, please use what I attached.

n_scott_pearson

Peter,

You are plugging the second monitor into the VGA port, which is a totally separate hardware interface from that for the HDMI interface. The update is modifying the firmware stored in the LSPcon IC used to generate the HDMI output. What Wanner is trying to say (though very awkwardly) is that the TV/Monitor must be connected to the NUC directly; there cannot be any intervening device, such as a Receiver or a HDMI switch.

Bottom line, there is no conflict here. This is exactly how I configured my NUC6CAYS to run the update.

Are you using the attached instructions? It specifically tells you to select file "BobcatIsp_v1.02_cut2.2_aux_SA_signed.bin" as the Driver File and select file "MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.72.00_LSPCON_MP_FHC_SIGNED_CMDB_AY.bin" as the FW File. The third file, MCDP2800_C21_C22_V1.72.00_LSPCON_MP_FHC_SIGNED_CMDB_BN.bin is for the update of the BN NUCs and will not be used in the update of your AY NUC.

Now, generating this response got me thinking. In a previous post, you said: "Also, the ONLY way to connect HDMI to the Samsung TV is by using the ONE CONNECT box.". This might be a problem, since this box is essentially a HDMI switch...

Hope this helps,

...S

PMole
Beginner

"Are you using the attached instructions? It specifically tells you..."

OMG! lol. Scott, you've been extremely helpful, but you have to realize those instructions have only JUST NOW been put there by Cvare and that the whole reason I started this thread was to get proper instructions in the first place.

PMole
Beginner

Success!

Using the VGA and HMDI ports at the same time as described by Scott and using the updated instructions provided by Cvare, I was finally able to correctly run the firmware described in my OP.

Cvare, your instructions were very clear! Perhaps this is obvious to most, but It might be helpful to add that the user can still use the VGA port while the HDMI is in use. Also, were it not for your old posts on this topic I probably wouldn't have gotten this far. Oh, and I don't think the HDMI firmware update is included in the "bundle" of upgrades you can download as one zip for the NUC.

Anyway, I'm grateful to you guys for helping me resolve this issue! I can now use my Samsung HDTV. Thank you so much!

On the other hand, I can't help but point out that if someone from Intel had just clarified the instructions as I asked in the originally OP, I would haven't have had to spend several frustrating hours on a wild goose chase. In particular, I'm frustrated with "David V" who, after asking me for reports I didn't think were necessary, never once bothered to respond or follow up on this thread even after I provided the information he requested. Likewise, on an active thread during this same time period, "Wanner G." gave the same firmware to a user and when the user pointed out that the instructions were incomplete, Wanner refused to acknowledge anything and instead went off on another tangent.

Scott,

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

I think the "one connect" box is really just a way for Samsung to cut costs and provide different ports for different TVS. The cable that connects the "one connect" to the Samsung looked proprietary.