Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12544 Discussions

NUC shuts down automatically after changing BIOS setting.

neo_yu
Novice

NUC : NUC12WSKi7

BIOS version : 0086

I'm trying to solve my NUC's power off issue and find a pattern in which it occurs.

When I changed Cooling or Performance setting in BIOS and tested CPU's performance using H-TUI which forces all core's usage reach 100%, It always powered down automatically.

At that moment, I found the temperature of all core goes for 100 degrees and fan with 0RPM, and I could't turn on NUC using power button before removing and connecting power cable.

I tried CPU stress test again after NUC rebooting and it didn't die. And Fan worked normally.

In my supposition, Fan doesn't work after first BIOS setting changing. But after one more rebooting, that works well.

Am I missing some information about BIOS setting or is it a BIOS bug?

Is it a CPU heat problem that the button does not power on before reconnecting power plug?

Plus, why cannot I enter the Performance and Cooling categories without Changing External Ambient Temperature Tolerance to "User Defined" in NUC12?

NUC11 can attach those categories without setting.

neo_yu_0-1670651307920.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi neo_yu,

I am testing an equivalent system but in my case I am running Windows 11*, using Prime95* in torture mode, and using HWinfo64* to monitor the Fan sensor.

I am not getting any reboot issues or overheating problems. 

I am not saying the issue is with Ubuntu* or with H-TUI* but I feel more comfortable testing a Windows environment, especially when it comes down to third-party applications such as H-TUI.

Prime65WS.png

In regards to not being able to enter the "Performance Menu" without changing "External Ambient Temperature Tolerance" to "User Defined", I will be checking with the NUC Product Team and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ronny G

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello neo_yu,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel NUC. I'll be glad to assist you with that.

In order to isolate the issue, please provide the following information:

• Are you able to run the CPU stress test various times with no shut-down issue after unplugging and plugging back the power cord?
  • If you reboot the NUC (without unplugging and plugging back the power cord) after changing the Cooling or Performance settings, but before running the CPU stress test, does the shut-down issue occur?
  • Are all cores reaching 100 degrees temperature when running the CPU stress test after unplugging and plugging back the power cord (right after the shut-down issue takes place)?

If the processor reaches 100 degrees temperature, it will shut down, since it is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die, so that is an expected behavior.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

neo_yu
Novice

I'm sorry for late reply.

Q1. Are you able to run the CPU stress test various times with no shut-down issue after unplugging and plugging back the power cord?

A. I could test my NUC stress test. After Unplugging and plugging, NUC didn't turn off automatically.

Q2. If you reboot the NUC (without unplugging and plugging back the power cord) after changing the Cooling or Performance settings, but before running the CPU stress test, does the shut-down issue occur?

A. NUC didn't automatically shutdown after changing BIOS. 

Q3. Are all cores reaching 100 degrees temperature when running the CPU stress test after unplugging and plugging back the power cord (right after the shut-down issue takes place)?

Frankly speaking, Before turning off, All cores didn't reach 100 degree.  I think running a application requiring big core-load make turn it off after first BIOS setting. 

After unplugging and plugging back the power cord, CPU didn't reach 100degree. All fans spinned well.

Is there any hardware or software signal that can I check?

Steven_Intel

I appreciate your response.

I will be working on your case, before providing an answer. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi neo_yu,

I am testing an equivalent system but in my case I am running Windows 11*, using Prime95* in torture mode, and using HWinfo64* to monitor the Fan sensor.

I am not getting any reboot issues or overheating problems. 

I am not saying the issue is with Ubuntu* or with H-TUI* but I feel more comfortable testing a Windows environment, especially when it comes down to third-party applications such as H-TUI.

Prime65WS.png

In regards to not being able to enter the "Performance Menu" without changing "External Ambient Temperature Tolerance" to "User Defined", I will be checking with the NUC Product Team and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ronny G

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi neo__yu,

After checking with the NUC Product Team, the logic is that the user can either use one of two completely preconfigured sets of settings (Ambient temperature 35C or Ambient temperature 40C), or tune all the settings, including the Performance tab manually by picking User Defined mode. I agree that this is perhaps not the most user-friendly experience.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Ronny G

neo_yu
Novice

Thank you for waiting for your late reply.
I replied late because I had a New Year's holiday.

We studied this problem and decided that it was caused by our software in Ubuntu.

Thank you for doing a lot of tests.
Steven_Intel

I appreciate your update about this issue. Since no further assistance is needed, I will proceed to close this thread.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Steven G.