Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11300 Discussions

NUC support for RAID1 NVME

HRLIV
Beginner

Are there any NUC models which contain dual NVME slots?  I need to build a RAID1 configured machine running Windows 10 for a small business.  The NUC form factor would be perfect for my project, but the NUC I already have (NUC10i7FNH1) only has one NVME slot and one SATA slot.  It is my understanding that RAID SSDs must be using the same interface.  I've read that RAID is supported but can't find a NUC with dual NVME or even SATA slots.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In fact, I believe you need a design that has two M.2 NVMe sockets that use only PCIe lanes exposed by the PCH (chipset) component. There are two NUC designs and three NUC models that have dual M.2 sockets, the (now discontinued) NUC6i6KYK and the NUC8i7HNK/NUC8i7HVK. The difference between the NUC8i7HNK and the NUC8i7HVK is the AMD Graphics Engine. See here: NUC8i7HNK and here: NUC8i7HVK for more information.

Physically, these NUCs are significantly larger (and significantly more expensive) than the standard NUC models. If this isn't a bother, there are some other designs to look at that are 'slightly' larger than that. Check out the NUC 9 Extreme and NUC 9 Pro kits here: Intel NUC Kits.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In fact, I believe you need a design that has two M.2 NVMe sockets that use only PCIe lanes exposed by the PCH (chipset) component. There are two NUC designs and three NUC models that have dual M.2 sockets, the (now discontinued) NUC6i6KYK and the NUC8i7HNK/NUC8i7HVK. The difference between the NUC8i7HNK and the NUC8i7HVK is the AMD Graphics Engine. See here: NUC8i7HNK and here: NUC8i7HVK for more information.

Physically, these NUCs are significantly larger (and significantly more expensive) than the standard NUC models. If this isn't a bother, there are some other designs to look at that are 'slightly' larger than that. Check out the NUC 9 Extreme and NUC 9 Pro kits here: Intel NUC Kits.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

HRLIV
Beginner

Thank you very much for help.  These models look like great choices.  Appreciate your knowledge and quick reply.

All the best,

Howard