cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC will not boot

Jump to solution

I was trying to work behind a new TV yesterday. In the process, the UPS ended up falling off the shelf, which pulled the TV off too. I actually didn't think that the NUC was damaged, but I can't get it to start anymore. It alternates between blue and orange lights, but never shows anything on the screen. Any thoughts if there is any hope? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User

Reset the SO DIMMs too.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

I thought about doing the CMOS reset. If I could get it to at least show on the screen, I would, but with my very limited vision (tunnel vision), I'd prefer not to try messing with the board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User
  1. First to say is that I'm very sorry to what happened. But most important is health, the NUC is much easier to fix. However, I need more information:
  2. What is the NUC model ?
  3. Was it working before? Do you have Windows installed?
  4. "It alternates between blue and orange lights" which LED are alternating with those blue and orange colors? Is the Power Button LED? It may indicate the drive activity. Are you able to prepare short video clip showing this and attach it using "paper clip" to your post?
  5. For beginning, I suggest that you disconnect your NUC from Power Adapter overnight and reconnect it to computer monitor (rather than TV). Do not use any UPS and HUBs. See if you have any video output.
  6. Once I will have answers for my questions, I'll give you instruction how to proceed.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you very much for that and replying. I will get your points one-by-one:

2) NUC7i5BNH

3) It was working before. I currently had LibreElec installed on it, though I have had Windows on it several times before.

4) The front light on the power and around the front ports.

5) I left it unplugged last night. Will try it again today.

Thanks again. :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Sadly, it's still doing the same.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

As for the short video clip, I could give it a shot, but there's really nothing to show since I can't get anything on the screen. All that is shown are the alternating LED colors noted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Here it is. It will keep switching back and forth between the shown orange and blue here. Please excuse my mess. :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

OK, I saw this clip and in fact it doesn't help me. I'm trying to find some solution that you will be able to try with your vision limitation. I can see that that the NUC is working. From your first post I understood that it fell down and now is not starting (i.e. you don't see any video output, including the Intel NUC logo)?

• Are you sure that the video cable is correctly connected to the TV monitor?
  • since the TV fell down and in some part can be damaged, have you other PC monitor (or other TV) to connect your NUC.
  • could be that some internal components has moved from their place. If you can, please remove the bottom cover (you need unscrew 4 screws located in the legs). Then remove and reinstall the SO DIMMs. I'm assuming that the SSD can't move from its socket, since it is hold by screw. Since this is BNH model, probably you have HDD installed in the drive bay. This HDD can move from its place, so, please check this.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Yes, video cable definitely connected. I connected it to my monitor (the same one I am using as I write this reply). I will check the HD now.... :)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Reset the SO DIMMs too.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Just wanted to say thanks again for the push to get in there. I ended up breaking one of the parts that holds one of the DIMMs in place during all this. So, I am one DIMM down, but other than that, I am back in business now. I went through several other ideas, but it seems to have been an issue either with one of the RAM sticks or perhaps it slipped placement a tiny bit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @CHoff4​ 

I'm happy that my advice helped you to fix your NUC. I'm very sorry that you break the part holding the SO DIMM. I wasn't aware that you don't know how the SO DIMM is hold in place. I should send you a link to video showing how to do this. Hope that some body will help you to replace the broken part.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Ironically, I actually did know how to do the release...it just didn't go well one of the times (I inserted and took out a number of times during the process). Just glad both aren't broken. I won't be getting it fixed, I imagine. I will ride it out with one DIMM until I get a newer model down the road. :)