Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jorick
Novice

NUC won't boot after BIOS upgrade

I have a NUC 7i7BNHXG.  Last weekend the Bluetooth stopped working, and nothing I did would get it to work.  It was as if the computer didn't have Bluetooth anymore.  So I went to the Intel website to see if there was a necessary driver update.  The website wanted me to download an app that would check for updates.  It identified about 5 (including an updated Bluetooth driver and an updated BIOS) so I told it to update everything.  Now it won't reboot.

After the initial splash screen, I get the following text:

>>Checking media presence......
>>Media present......
>>Start PXE over IPv4 on MAC: 94-C6-91-15-25-05

After about 15 seconds, the IPv4 changes to an IPv6.  Then after another 15 seconds, the screen clears and the following line is displayed:

A bootable device has not been detected.

I should note that I have a wireless keyboard with a USB dongle and it doesn't detect an F2 keypress at startup.

How can I fix this?

TIA,

-Ricky

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello jorick

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Were you able to access before the BIOS using the F2 key with this wireless keyboard? Are you able to test with a wired keyboard?

Is this a new Intel® NUC? How long did it work fine before the Bluetooth stopped working?

Could you please try the steps on this link to disable Fast Boot?, section "Fast Boot recovery in Intel Visual BIOS 2.x" >> "Disable Fast Boot from the power button menu" to see if you are able to access the BIOS?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006699/intel-nuc.html

If you manage to disable Fast Boot and access the BIOS, check if network boot is enabled in the BIOS: Go to Advanced > Boot > Boot Configuration. In the Boot Devices pane, disable Network Boot. Press F10 to exit BIOS Setup.

Also, check to see if the internal hard drive is detected in BIOS Setup or if the Boot Drive Order shows No Boot Drive:

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Boot > Boot Priority.
  3. Check to see what is listed under Boot Drive Order.
  4. Press F10 to exit BIOS Setup.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @jorick 

1. Try to boot into Power Button Menu:  press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.

2. While you see the Power Button Menu click on F3 to Disable Fast Boot. You may also click on F2 to reset BIOS to default settings. 

3. An other alternative is to recover BIOS from this Menu. You should prepare USB stick, formatted to FAT 32 with BN0083.bio file on this USB.  Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).

Leon

MRoss5200
New Contributor III

Does your NUC use an Optane to cache your HDD? If it does, then the BIOS update may have changed the SATA Controller setting back to AHCI instead of RST with Optane Acceleration.

Plug in a USB wired keyboard, enter Visual BIOS using the F2 key at the splash screen. Go to the Devices tab, then SATA tab, check Chipset SATA Mode. Make sure it says "RST with Optane Acceleration". 

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @jorick 

1. @MRoss5200  is probably right. Your NUC 7i7BNHXG is equipped with Optane Memory and the SATA Mode in BIOS should be set to "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System".  Changing the mode without disabling the Optane first will corrupt Windows O.S. Could be that you are already in this situation. However, you may try to reset  the SATA mode back to correct mode.

2.  In order to change SATA Mode without destroying Windows boot, Windows must be set to SAFE Boot Mode.

Leon

jorick
Novice

Thanks for all the help, but unfortunately, the NUC is still bricked.

I found a wired keyboard and was able to get into the visual BIOS.

@AndrewG_Intel : Fast Boot was already disabled.  I disabled Network Boot.  Now it immediately says "A bootable device has not been detected."  Under UEFI Boot Priority, in Boot Drive Order, it says "No boot drive."

@LeonWaksman : Fast Boot was already disabled.  F2 (which is really F9) did nothing since I've never been in the BIOS before and everything was already set to default.  I downloaded BN0083.bio and used it to recover the BIOS.  Nothing worked.

@MRoss5200 :  The SATA controller was already set to RST with Optane Acceleration.

So now what concerns me is the "No boot drive".  Looks like it can't find the hard drive.  Assuming it's a PCIe SSD device, the PCI Configuration settings show M.2 slot enabled but not populated, and the Vendor ID:Device ID is <FFFF:FFFF> (probably expected if there's no detected device).

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @jorick 

The NUC boot still may be fixed by booting into Windows in SAFE mode. This menu you can reach after booting from Window Installation Media USB: 

1.  Boot from your Windows 10 installation USB.
  2.  Select your language preferences and click/tap on Next.
  3.  Click/tap on Repair your computer at the bottom.
  4.  Click/tap on Troubleshoot.
  5.  Click/tap on Advanced options.
  6. Click on Command Prompt
  7. In the Command Prompt write the following command: bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal and press enter to execute this command
  8. Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.
  9.  Select Continue and sign in to Windows 
  10. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig
  11. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot.  Reboot your system. 

Leon

jorick
Novice

I'm unable to create a Windows Installation Media USB.  I keep getting error code 0x80070006 - 0x90018 from the Media Creation Tool.  I've tried starting the app in admin mode and even going online for help about the error but it still doesn't work.

The computer I'm using to do this is a work laptop with limitations.  I can give myself some admin privileges to install software but not root control.  I also can't disable drivers, services, or the antivirus.  There are no other capable computers in the area (oh, the joys of living in the wilds of New Hampshire).

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @jorick,

Unfortunately, we do not handle the technical details of the Windows® 10 Media Creation Tool and we recommend contacting Microsoft® support for more details about the error code and the requirements to run the tool.

Perhaps there is better luck using another tool. You may try Rufus* (https://rufus.ie/) to create the Windows 10 installation USB to be able to try the steps recommended by LeonWaksman. You just need to download a copy of Windows® 10 from the Microsoft official website and save it as an ISO file. Then you can use Rufus* to create the Windows® bootable USB, there are an installer version and a portable version of this software and you should try "GPT" as the partition scheme (the usual for UEFI BIOS and Windows® 10).

*Note:

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

jorick
Novice

@AndrewG_Intel : I was able to create the Windows 10 installation USB using Rufus.  Thanks!

@LeonWaksman :  I booted from the USB and performed the steps in your list.  After entering "bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal" in step 7, I get the following error message:

The boot configuration data store could not be found.
The requested system device cannot be found.

After clicking the X in step 8, it returned me to the troubleshoot/reboot screen.  There is no "Continue" button.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello jorick

Thank you for your patience in this matter, we apologize for the late response.

We were checking this further and our recommendation is to reach out Intel® Customer Support through phone or chat and review warranty availability for your Intel® NUC. Here is the "Contact us link": https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7

Please make sure to select your country or region and to contact us within your local business Support hours and to make reference to this thread.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

jorick
Novice

I contacted Intel Customer Support and they sent me a new NUC.  However, even though I gave them my new address in Arizona, they sent the NUC to New Hampshire.  They immediately realized their mistake so they sent a second one to me in Arizona.  My daughter received the first one and forwarded it down to me.  So now I have two NUCs.  The second one is installed and the first one (which really isn't mine) is still in the box.  What do I do with the first one?  Does Intel want it back?

Edit: I contacted Customer Support with the question as well as here just to cover all my bases.