cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKral
Beginner

NUC won't boot

Hi,

my company just bought more than 20 NUCs for our customers ( NUC7i3DNHE, Intel 180GB SSD, Kingston DDR4 8GB RAM), we tested each, everything worked fine. So we send them to our customers. After few days they started calling to our support that they can not start the NUC (when they press the button, NUC wont turn itself on - the led indicator stays off). We started investigating what could cause this problem. First we found It might be because of sleep mode, than we find out that the led indicator does not even blink when NUC is off or when NUC is in hybration mode. We thought it may be because of Windows settings, so we set in Windows "go to sleep after time" to "never". Unfortunatelly that did not help.

I've gone trought a lot of forums and I have found a solution, but when some grave pit have to stop selling for 10 minutes, It is not good, they are losing money and we are losing reputation. So I'm trying to ask you.. Do you know what could cause this problem? Or how to simulate it? Because we could not even simulate the problem. It already happend on 4 NUC machines (some of them have W7, some of them W10 - happend on both).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FEnge
Novice

Hi, first of all I'm not from Intel, but have some experience with these machines as we are selling them also. That the LED stays off is strange. Usually if a NUC does not boot there is a blinking code or the NUC powers on with black screen. A simple test to see if the NUC has power is to plug in an ethernet cable. Even if the NUC is off - the connection LED on the ethernet port should indicate that at least the board has power. If it stays off most likly the power supply or the DC-DC converter on the board is damaged.

This reminds me of a bug I had with the 5th generation NUCs. The problem only occured under linux. But in some situations the NUC5ixRY would not wake up from S3 again. And the power LED stayed off after pressing the power switch. The solution was to send a wake on lan signal to wake them up again. But this bug was fixed long ago and it did not occur for me with the 7th generation of NUCs.

Kind regards,

Felix
AlHill
Super User

Not answering your problem, but are you saying that you have Windows 7 running on some of these NUC7i3DNHE machines? If so, that is a no-no. Only Windows 10 is supported on 7th gen and later processors.

Doc

idata
Community Manager

Hello Michal_Kralik,

Thank you for joining the Intel Communities.

Have you noticed if the fan starts spinning when you press the power button?

I would like you to try the system in minimal configuration which is to make sure this is not a grounding issue. Please disconnect every peripheral you have connected to the computer. Please also remove the RAM and the SSD. Try turning on the computer and check if the power button blinks three times. If the power button blinks three times install just one memory module on the memory slot closest to the motherboard, turn the computer back on, and check if you get picture on the screen.

Another troubleshooting step could be to test a known working power adapter. Please also check if the the DC input jack is not loose/damaged.

You may find additional troubleshooting steps on this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005845/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005845/mini-pcs.html

Please let me know the part number of the Kingston memory you are using.

Regards,

Fred D.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Michal_Kralik,

I was wondering if you still need assistance regarding the boot/post issue you were having. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.