Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC won't turn on without power reset after bios upgrade.

After an update to BIOS version 68, my Intel NUC i7DHNE won't turn on or come back from sleep without force shut down and unplugging the power cord from the outlet and plugging it back in. It takes multiple tries to get it to boot up. When it fails to boot, there is no display or USB at all, just fan noise.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

I am running bios 0068 on my DHNE and do not have that problem. After you updated to 0068, did you F9 to reset defaults?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the fast reply,

As soon as the BIOS upgrade was finished, it immediately shut down and would not come on without removing power supply.

Later, when I was troubleshooting I did reset to defaults, but it did not fix the problem. What method did you use to update BIOS? I used the .MSI file, not sure if that was the right move.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Can you try reflashing the same bios, using the F7 method?

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

When I run the .MSI file it says I already have the latest BIOS and closes out. In the BIOS, it also says the .BIO file is not correctly formatted. I will attempt again with a USB stick and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Yes, .bio on a stick and the F7 method, followed by F9. Post back.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

When I try to flash BIOS, the all USB devices lose connection and the screen freezes indefinitely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

What you need to try is reinstalling the latest BIOS via the BIOS Recovery process. If you tried F7 method, you have .BIO file on USB flash disk already. Insert this into NUC with system powered off. Then, power on holding power button in/down until the power button LED turns yellow. When the Power Button Menu appears, press F4. Follow instructions until complete (see message on screen asking you to power off). Best to go into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) and use F9 to reset BIOS Configuration at this point.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

20200509_173647.jpgIt is now recovering to the BIOS version, I will see what happens

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Still won't start up after shut down or rebooting without AC power reset. Could this be due to the security jumper or is something still wrong with bios?​ Also, can I downgrade the bios to a previous version?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am not sure what to think. It installed without issue on my i5 DN. Let it sit without power connected for a short while (15 mins) and see if that helps.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I did the recovery again and let it sit all night without power, but it still has the same issues. Seems weird how it doesn't do anything for 20 seconds before it does eventually boots.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No, I don't think you can. This update contains an upgrade to the ME firmware. As far as I know, you cannot downgrade through ME firmware upgrades. You could try; worst that will happen is it will tell you you cannot do so.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Do you have a copy of that bios file?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Which BIOS file?

0 Kudos