Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

NUC10I5FNH Audio Problems.

I have a brand new NUC10I5FNH Core i5-10210U/8GB RAM/500GB M.2 SATA SSD. Latest v45 UEFI BIOS. Audio is via 3.5mm output to a pair of desktop speakers powered via USB.

After installing W10, I had to manually install Ethernet Driver to enable Ethernet (I've done this before)

Next I let Windows update do it's thing, reboot, etc a few times.

All working well except for "Detection Verification" [{DD8E82AE-334B-49A2-AEAE-AEB0FD5C40DD}\DetectionVerification] Device Manager error. Hardware ID was not much use to track this down. Also tried to manually reinstall driver, via device driver, no luck.

After a Google search I found a post here explaining to install the Management Engine and Chipset, then re install the Audio driver again.

The Realtek driver proceeded to uninstall the W10 installed driver, then reboot and then complete the installation. Up until this point my only problem was "Detection Verification" Device Manager error. Audio was working fine. Realtek driver asked me to reboot again which I did.

After the reboot, I now found the 'Detection verification' error had disappeared, (now replaced by 'Trusted Platform' - sorry did not get exact wording), and Audio now was inoperable.

Hmmm...

I have tried everything to get the Audio to work. Tried to reinstall driver again manually, then used the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, which found no issues what so ever.

The only fix was to nuke the W10 install and start from scratch. But now I'm back to the 'detection verification error.

I have also tried this on another identical new NUC - exactly the same events occured.

Interestingly, the Realtek driver installed in the first instance by WU is the same version as the one I D/L and used from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189239/Intel-NUC-10-Performance-kit-NUC10i5FNH

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted

Just a correction..

Firstly, the Realtek Driver that breaks "Detection Verification"  = 6.0.8950.1 (12/5/20) via WU {Windows 10 version: 19041.450]

The Realtek Driver that fixes "Detection Verification" but breaks Audio = 6.0.8791.1 on Intel website here:

[issue] https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056988/intel-nuc.html

[Realtek driver] https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29213/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-for-Windows-10-...

I hope this clarifies the issue. Apologies for wrong information in first post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello sprocketoctupus,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

We understand that you experiencing an odd behavior with the Audio of your NUC.

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could confirm the following information:

• Can you please provide the BIOS version of your NUC?
  • Is the device fully updated?
  • Currently, what is the drivers that you have installed? Is it the 6.0.8950.1 or the one that breaks the Audio (6.0.8791.1)?
  • We understand that you replicated this with another NUC model and the behavior persists, was that NUC using the same OS version?  What steps have you taken to replicate this?

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

G'day Esteban.

Thanks for replying.

To answer your questions:

• Can you please provide the BIOS version of your NUC? - The NUC is running FNCML357.0045.2020.0817.1709
  • Is the device fully updated? - Yes.
  • Currently, what is the drivers that you have installed? Is it the 6.0.8950.1 or the one that breaks the Audio (6.0.8791.1)? - Installed is 6.0.8950.1 [12/5/2020] that was installed via Windows Update [Windows 10 version: 19041.450]. This one breaks 'Detection Verification'.
    6.0.8791.1 breaks Audio (via 3.5mm Jack) is downloaded from Intel website: (here)
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29213/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-for-Windows-10-...
  • We understand that you replicated this with another NUC model and the behavior persists, was that NUC using the same OS version?  What steps have you taken to replicate this? Exactly the same process;
  • Install W10,
  • Let Windows 10 download any drivers/updates as needed.
  • Reboot.
  • Repeat as required.('Detection verification' [{DD8E82AE-334B-49A2-AEAE-AEB0FD5C40DD}\DetectionVerification] error via device manager is present)
  • Then download driver from Intel website ,
  • Follow installation from installer,
  • Removes 'old' driver,
  • Asks to be rebooted, reboot,
  • Then installer finished installation of 'new' driver,
  • Asks to reboot,
  • Then reboot. ['Detection Verification' fixed - replaced with 'trusted platform'] no errors present via device manager present - but Audio now inoperable via 3.5mm jack.

I Have another NUC here that is identical and can do the same test again - I have 3 more to do after that.

HTH

~S.O

PS Happy for you to call me if that helps to discuss the issue. Give me an email address and I can give you my number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello sprocketoctupus,

Thank you for your response.

This is an interesting situation and I would like to check on this for you.

To do so please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.  

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information.
  2. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

I will be waiting for the report attached and I will be glad to check that for you.

I need to inform you that at least in this channel we do not provide phone support, however, in case you would like to get live support from our technicians you can Contact Support and provide this thread as a reference.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

G'day Esteban.

Thanks for your reply.

Problem is that NUC has gone to client, I have another here I'm building, but it's 16GB of RAM, a 500GB NvME SSD, and will be loaded with W10 Professional - not home. Will that be OK?

Will that be suitable? If not I have another 3 coming, with similar specs to the original: NUC10I5FNH Core i5-10210U/8GB RAM/500GB M.2 SATA SSD. Latest v45 UEFI BIOS

Please let me know, Thanks

~S.O

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello sprockeroctupus,

Thanks for the update.

We would need the SSU report from a unit that is experiencing this behavior.

If the NUC that you are building starts experiencing the same behavior the report will work for me.  If not, we would need to troubleshoot the unit with the Audio problems.

Please let us know what the outcome is after you build the NUC.

Regards,

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

G'day Esteban.

Yes. I got another NUC that I built to same specs yesterday, and set about replicating the faulty condition.

This one, however exhibited a different outcome to the first 2.

I first updated the BIOS to v45. This time with speakers connected from initial switch on,  I loaded W10 Home, I also had to manually install Ethernet Driver to enable Ethernet (I've done this before).

As before I let WU D/L updates, reboot x2.

The "Detection Verification" [{DD8E82AE-334B-49A2-AEAE-AEB0FD5C40DD}\DetectionVerification] Device Manager error appeared, Audio worked fine.

I ran the Intel SSU and have attached the file here.

[NUC_10_detection_verification_SSU_scan.txt]

I then updated the Realtek Audio driver as per the fix here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056988/intel-nuc.html

This time however, after the driver update, and reboot, the Realtek driver stayed at the WU installed version of 6.0.8950.1; NOT the Intel website driver I attempted to install; 6.0.8791.1 

After the reboot, the 'detection verification' error disappeared (Device Manager showed 'Trusted Platform Module' in it's place.)

Audio was also now working as it should. I ran the SSU again and it's also attached.

[NUC_10_SSU_detection_verification_fix.txt]

The only thing I did different was I had the speakers connected whilst W10 was installing. The NUC's are all identical, same brand of M.2 SSD (Samsung 860 Evo), & 1 x 8GB Kingston DDR4 RAM.

The production date of this NUC is 29/5/20

The production date of the first NUC I built that exhibited this problem is 9/7/20

I have also attached some screenshots that are self explanatory.

I am not sure if any of this helps. And, also, apologies if I'm wasting your time with this.

Thanks for taking the time to follow this up.

Cheers

~S.O

PS I have this latest NUC until tomorrow, until goes onsite.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello sprocketoctopus,

Thank you so much for your response and the information attached.

I would like to further investigate this for you.

We will provide an update to the thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

G'day Esteban.

I was able to get hold of the original NUC10I5FNH Core i5-10210U/8GB RAM/500GB M.2 SATA SSD, with latest v45 UEFI BIOS that had the original problem. But with a new clean SSD.

What I did:

• Install W10,
  • Let Windows 10 download any drivers/updates as needed.
  • Reboot.
  • Repeat as required.
  • This time however there was an option in W10 update to:
  • Windows Update > View Optional Updates > Driver Updates which I did. <--- I believe this a new w10 'feature'??

This time what was very weird was that the 'Detection Verification' problem did not manifest itself, this time after above. The 'Trusted Platform' [OK] appeared in Device Manager.

However this time, again I had no audio.

I tried to install the Realtek driver via the Intel website which did not work. The Realtek sound software did appear in the 'Programs and features' area of W10..

I rebooted and this time ran the Intel 'Intel-Driver-and-Support-Assistant-Installer' which picked up no Audio driver, so I let it do it's thing. Same thing no audio and no realtek driver appeared on device driver, but did via 'Programs and features' .

Next I burnt the W10 on the SSD and reinstalled a new fresh copy, this time with the speaker plugged into the NUC during the W10 setup.

Exactly same outcome.

I then did quite a bit more head scratching - tried a .CAB file from here:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=6.0.8950.1 which did not work.

I then tried this file from the realtek website:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

(File V2.82 '64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file).. ')

Installed same and...

Which fixed it! I now have Audio and working 'Trusted platform Module'

Attached are an SSU file that might help you:

I hope this of assistance to you.

Cheers

~S.O

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi sprocketoctopus,

This is definitely a driver related issue, I have tested several times the driver we have available on the Download Center but unfortunately, I haven't been able to replicate the same behavior that you described.

Thank you very much for not only reporting this issue but also the solution, I am including both: issue and your solution in our internal database for further reference.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

G'day Ronny_G

Thanks for looking into this.

However I just completed another NUC exactly same spec & build.

[NUC10I5FNH Core i5-10210U/8GB RAM/500GB M.2 SATA SSD. Latest v45 UEFI BIOS]

With this one, the driver I mentioned below:

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-softw...

(File V2.82 '64bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1, Windows10 Driver only (Executable file).. ')

Did not work. ie. Sound did not work.

Reinstalled Windows and left it D/L any/all W/U it need to do. Sound Working, but 'detection verification' error again.

Attached is the SSU file.

This machine was a 9 April 2020 build.

Thanks.

~S.O

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi sprocketoctopus,

Would please try the driver version 6.0.8950.1 that comes with Windows 10*: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=6.0.8950.1 ?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate so I don't have a quick solution for this issue.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

G'day Ronny.

That driver was tried, ie. WU installed that driver as part of the Windows update process.

Same result.

My theory? Was there something that 'changed' production wise around the dates of manufacture I provided for the NUC's concerned?

Cheers

Laurie.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Laurie,

Can you please check on the back of the two NUCs and check if they are both SA K61361-303?

Ronny_G_Intel_0-1603302976477.jpeg

Can you also send me a screenshot of the error message in Device Manager? I haven't been able to replicate this behavior and a picture would help me escalate this issue.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

G'day Ronny.

Sorry I don't have access to the NUC's any more. I can't get Device Manager details

I do have pictures of the NUC boxes - but "SA" info is not on the box.

I can however provide those pictures of the boxes - but privately - so please private message me.

HTH

Cheers

~S.O

0 Kudos