Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

NUC10I5FNH RAID1

Manish1
Beginner

Hi

I'm trying to configure RAID1 in the NUC BIOS I've got 2 SATA 2TB drives in there and got them configured as RAID1 but the status has been showing "Initialize" for about 18 hours.

There is no activity on the hard disk light and the only "Volume Actions" I have is "Delete".

How long should this take?

Should I be doing something extra to change to Initializing?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Manish1, 

Thank you for your reply. 

It seems that the RAID remains in initialize until you install the OS. If possible, can you try installing Windows? Please remember that Linux is not supported as mentioned before https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/rst-linux-paper.pdf  

Otherwise, were you able to install Linux within the RAID with no problems?  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Manish1 

Please follow the RAID Setup Procedure for Intel® NUC Kits

In your case you should use the SATA(AHCI)RAID procedure.

Leon

Manish1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

I had seen this guide, though what the NUC shows is slightly different.

First I can't access the RAID Option ROM by pressing CTRL+i. I've enabled Expansion card text but there is no option shown for it and nothing happens if I repeated press the keys (I've tried a few time?).

Within the bios in Advanced>Add-in Config>Intel Rapid Storage Technology there's an option to create a RAID Volume. I create the RAID1 in there by clicking create RAID, selection RAID1 and then putting X is both drives. Finally clicking Create Volume.

It sits at "Initialize" at this point.

I want to install Ubuntu once it's done. I tried installing ubuntu when showing Initialize and the install shows both drives listed and nothing about the RAID. If I do try installing on a drive ubuntu fails.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, in 3rd-party, non-NUC implementations, in UEFI-based BIOS Setup facilities, CTRL-I is often not supported. Instead, the RAID configuration is exposed right there within the BIOS Setup implementation.

Secondly, Intel RST is not supported in Linux. Read this white paper for details: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/rst-linux-paper.pdf.

Hope this helps,

...S

Manish1
Beginner

Thanks yeah I figured the nuc set up raids in the bios. 

I've not started installing Linux yet as I haven't found an answer for why it's stuck at initialize?

Manish1
Beginner

Thanks

Yeah I figured the nuc set up raids in the bios. 

I've not started installing Linux yet as I haven't found an answer for why it's stuck at initialize?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

It is stuck at Initialize because the actual initialization is performed in the Windows environment and after the Intel RST software is installed.

...S

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Manish1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:

1. What is the brand and model number of the drives that you are using?

2. What is the BIOS version you used?

3. Provide a picture of the "Initialize" message.

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Manish1
Beginner

Hi 

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of closing this ticket as nothing seems to be happening with the RAID and I've given up on setting it up.

The first drive is WD Blue 2 TB 3D NAND Internal SSD M.2 SATA (WDS200T2B0B) 

The second drive is Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-77Q2T0)

The bios version is the latest, 357. 

The Initialize message is shown in Advanced>Add-in Config>Intel Rapid Storage Technology. 

In this section before creating the RAID there is an option to Create a RAID and shows my 2 drives. After creating the RAID it shows the new RAID with initialize written next to it. Above it it shows the only action available is to delete the RAID. Going into the RAID there is only options to view the settings, no options are available.

Sorry I can't get a screenshot as I installed the Ubuntu as I needed to do a few tests by the end of the week. I might have another go at it all next week?

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Manish1, 

Thank you for your reply. 

It seems that the RAID remains in initialize until you install the OS. If possible, can you try installing Windows? Please remember that Linux is not supported as mentioned before https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/rst-linux-paper.pdf  

Otherwise, were you able to install Linux within the RAID with no problems?  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

View solution in original post

Manish1
Beginner

Thanks but I'll close this ticket off as I need to run linux on this and as it says it's not supported.

I did try installing when the disk showed initialize but it failed. 

I did get RAID 1 working within linux so all is fine.

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Manish1,  

Thanks for the update.  

In that case, we will proceed to close this inquiry, however; if you need further help, please submit a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M