The release notes for NUC10i*FN BIOS version 0046 state "Fixed issue updating BIOS using “F7” update method."
Does this note mean it is not recommended to update from a version < 0046 to a version >= 0046 using the F7 update method? What exactly is the issue addressed with that method in 0046? Thanks.
I don't know from which version you are trying to upgrade your BIOS to version 0047, however, I recommend to perform this update using BIOS Recovery from the Power Button Menu method:
1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC).
2. Download FNCML357.0047.RECOVERY.zip and extract the FNCML357.cap file from this archive. Copy the FNCML357.cap to the root of the previously prepared USB stick. Insert this USB stick into rear USB port on your NUC. Reconnect the Power Adapter.
3. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu (this will take about 60 seconds). You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.
4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen). When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON. Let the NUC fully reboot.
Hope this will help
Thanks Leon, much appreciated. I believe I am on 0045. I have not had any issues updating via the F7 method previously, I just noticed this line in the release notes.
If the recovery method is safer / preferred in this case, I can give that a try. I wasn't sure if that method was intended only as a "last resort" type of procedure or if it's also fine to use for normal updates.
The release notes are vary vague about what the issue with the F7 update method was/is so I was just looking for what actions I should take in response, and trying to find out if it's something that could affect my setup or not.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.