Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11283 Discussions

NUC10i3FNH with a dying storage sub system?

Takigama
Beginner

Hi All,

Hoping someone might point out something that might be obviously wrong with a NUC i recently bought.

Its a NUC10i3FNH and it appears to be having problems with its storage controller and after much debugging I cannot figure out why.

Initially I booted it with a Samsung 500G M.2 pcie, and immediately started having issues, the initial install worked, but the reboot after the install did not. Power cycled the NUC and it booted ok.

From there its been downhill. I've tried the following bits of hardware with no success

1. WD Blue 1TB m.2 PCIe
  2. Samsung QVO 1TB SATA
  3. Samsung EVO 1TB pcie
  4. Seagate Nytro 1351 SATA (it doesnt even detect this)
  5. Seagate Firecuda 1tb HDD (SATA).

All of them have problems to one degree or another. But basically it can be said that they will boot (most of the time) from a cold boot. Rebooting after they've booted, they just hang at the NUC screen (the one with hit F2 to bios, etc etc). At this point, the NUC is no longer responding at all (hitting f2 or any other key) does nothing, its completely locked up.

Its not consistent though, sometimes it'll get to the grub boot loader, i'll select an option to boot it, then nothing. Sometimes it wont get past the NUC screen even when its first powered on. Though I should point out that if and when it does boot cleanly, I haven't had any issues with it.

Im lost as to why the Seagate Nytro drive isnt even detected (it was actually the one I wanted to use in reality).

However... I plugged in an old Seagate Momentus Thin 500G hdd (SATA 2) and its completely stable, boots without issues, reboots without any issues, cannot make it fall over or lockup with the really old Momentus drive.

I've upgraded the BIOS to 0047, which had no effect. Attempted to do a bios recovery (with the jumper), but that didnt seem to work at all, the recovery image on the download site has no directory structure though and the upgrade instructions suggest that it possibly should. I've changed the RAM (to known-good working ram). Reset the bios to defaults. In all cases im running ubuntu 20.04  and i've tried with components that on the compat list.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Takigama

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, it seems that the storage ports or controller is presenting some kind of problem. In this case, we recommend replacing the Intel® NUC. If you are within the first 30 days from the date of purchase, we recommend contacting your place of purchase to check the warranty options for your system.

Otherwise, please reach out to Intel® Customer Support through phone or chat so we can assist you to review the warranty status and options for your Intel® NUC. Here is the "Contact us link": 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7

Please make sure to select your country or region and to contact us within your local business Support hours. Also, feel free to refer to this post once you contact Intel Customer Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Takigama

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please allow us to look into this behavior. As soon as we have more details available, we will be posting back in this thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Takigama

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, it seems that the storage ports or controller is presenting some kind of problem. In this case, we recommend replacing the Intel® NUC. If you are within the first 30 days from the date of purchase, we recommend contacting your place of purchase to check the warranty options for your system.

Otherwise, please reach out to Intel® Customer Support through phone or chat so we can assist you to review the warranty status and options for your Intel® NUC. Here is the "Contact us link": 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7

Please make sure to select your country or region and to contact us within your local business Support hours. Also, feel free to refer to this post once you contact Intel Customer Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

View solution in original post

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Takigama

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.