cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

NUC10i3FNK Turbo Boost leads to max noise fan

Hi,

i figured out the turbo boost causing the fan in standard tasks to run at maximum speed.

This is not nice and i guess it could be fixed.

Just run the 7zip benchmark and you will experience it.

I disabled turbo boost and the system is quite also with heavy load.

In the BIOS the turbo boost can be customized and i am a bit confused now.

I read PL1 and PL2 should be W values but in the Bios it says mode time in seconds

So could i set PL2 (burst) to 10 seconds does it mean the burst will only 10 seconds active and then switch to PL1?

How about the Tau values and impact to turbo boost?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Highlighted

Hello svenry, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

To better assist you please provide the following information:

•  What is the current fan configuration of the NUC?
  • If possible please attach pictures of the fan settings.

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.  

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)  

Intel® SSU Download link  

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  2. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  3. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Esteban,

i run BIOS default settings except:

Power, Processor and FAN: balanced

I tried several fan profiles and also custom one but its always the same.

custom: 75/20/4 #  60/20/5

I also did 2 times load default BIOS settings.

I attached an video of the turbo boost behaviour for 7zip benchmark as its quite easy to produce

But in general its alwasy the same when the tb is running a few seconds.

you have to turn up volume to the max for your mediaplayer and speakers to hear the fan noise beginning at 30 seconds approx.

https://mega.nz/file/mnxlkIhT#RNi93btSPBAA9SwI-8TiyJG3X5EfMRWpUvuCGycblY8

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @svenry ,

In my opinion there is a problem with the implementation of the RPM/cooling algorithm in some NUC models, when Turbo Boost is ON. Similar fan throttling I can observe on NUC7i7DNHE. Nothing helped to keep the fan not throttling, except switching the Turbo Boost OFF. I don't feel strong degradation in performance and I have quiet NUC.    

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

@LeonWaksman  hey Leon,

yea i read about it but i guess not all are affected?

if yes, everyone would complain about this very annoying behaviour.

Well with disabled tubo boost it feels not much slower but it is in some areas....

I am sure the issue could be fixed.

Regards,

svenry

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello svenry,

Thank you for your response and the information provided.  

We will review this report to update this thread as soon as possible 

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Esteban,

from my point of view something is wrong / broken and not normal.

I`ve reinstalled Windows as the P-States are triggered by OS and i want to see if my Windows has an issue.

Even during the installation the fan was running at maximium after a few seconds, not all the time but quite often.

Regards,

Rainer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Esteban,

some updates?

Where you able to check and reproduce it with some of your NUCs?

Regards,

svenry

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello svenry, 

My first impression after watching your video and running the same type of test on an equivalent system is that the behavior is normal.

I had the exact same result when running the "benchmark" tool available within 7-Zip* and of course, it triggers a higher CPU utilization and a substantial increase in temperature which causes the fan RPMS to increase.

Are you also seeing this issue when running any other regular application at an average processor utilization?

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Ronny,

yes, everytime the tubo boost is used the fan will run after a few seconds at maximim.

Even the CPU utilization doesnt matter if its 20%, 50% or 90%

Some examples and maybe you could also test?

-windows autostart (Chrome, Free Commander and JDownloader)

-jDownloader (extract 10GB video file)

-lame or ffmpeg task for few minutes (cpu utilization aprox 30%)

-chrome (some websites)

With TURBO BOOST DISABLED all this issues are gone.

So from my point of view something is faulty or bad configuration inside.

If it appears during encoding for a long time it might be okay but not during standard short tasks.

Regards,

Svenry

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello svenry,

In my opinion, the system seems to be working as expected but if you still have doubts I would recommend calling our Technical Support Service for expedite assistance. Here is our contact us information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@8

It is very possible that when running an application that is not supposed to be very processor demanding the Intel Turbo Boost Technology picks up a Core for performance boosting and it is there when you see the speed increase but the overall utilization not reaching 100% or not going very high. This process is controlled by the Intel Turbo Boost algorithm.

Perhaps one way to check on this is by going into "Windows Task Manager" and go to the Performance tab, right-click on the graph and select "Change Graph to" "Logical processors", I did some testing with non-intensive processor applications but you will see some CPU utilization spikes on individual Cores that may trigger Intel Turbo Boost.

I hope this helps,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Ronny,

i did some more tests and if you confirm it`s the same behaviour with your System i am wondering how such a product could be released honestly.

Its obviously and the noise is very annoying.

Just launch Chrome or JDownloader and the fan kicks in. Yes it is application depending but why?

Simple applications and tasks causing an annoying noise over the day.

I know i can disable Turbo Boost and all is fine but i hope Intel is aware of this issue and will fix it if possible. I am not the only one complaining about it so either my NUC is faulty or its standard and i am wondering why not more people expereince it and complain.

I will not spend more time and effort to resolve it, Intel is aware of it and should investigate and solve it.

I will run the NUC with disabled TBT, the performance impact in some areas is big (application response time/ launch time and whole system feels smoother) but i can live with it currently.

Regards

Highlighted

Hi svenry

I tried to replicate your report but I am having mixed results, keep in mind that processors with the same model number running under the same operating conditions may see some frequency or power variance. This is a natural characteristic of silicon driven by variances in voltages, power, and leakage during the production process. See here for more details: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technolo...

I dont want to close this report with only my observations so I would recommend that you reach out to our Technical Support Service via Phone or Chat for expedite resolution, here is our contact us information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@8 and please make reference to case 4715460

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

today someone called me and told me the NUC will be replaced.

I am surprised how the new one will be

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi svenry,

Thanks for the update.

I chatted with 2 CPU engineers and they both basically told me that this is the expected behavior: Intel Turbo Boost may be activated even when running a "regular" application that is supposed not to be very processor demanding, there could be a logical core utilization peak and the fan speed may also increase, assuming BIOS Fan Control Mode is set to Balanced for instance.

We agreed to replace the unit so that you can compare results and please report back your findings.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Ronny,

replaced NUC arrived and did a short test

I did not update the firmware, changed processor and performance to balanced

results:

windows boot --> no fan noise

launch jdownloader and chrome --> no fan noise

7zip benchmark -->no fan noise

in general i can see the tempature is not jumping to 80 or more degrees and force the fan to run at maximum speed.

So i guess something was broken in the old one and my impression was right to bring up the issue.

I am scared to update the firmware to run in the issue maybe again?

Thank you very much for your great support Ronny!

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

today i`ve updated to Firmware Version 39 and all is fine, great.

Highlighted

Hello svenry,

Thank you for the update.

It’s nice to know that the unit is working properly now.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored 

Esteban D. 

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos