cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demoncamber
New Contributor I

NUC10i5 wont bitstream audio to brand new AVR especially DTS X or Atmos

Jump to solution

My brand new NUC10i5FNH wont bitstream audio to brand new AVR especially DTS X or Atmos. My previous Celeron Gigabyte brix worked perfectly fine with intel hardware which this directly replaced. I know it's not my setup.

*update* This is now Intel case number 04708595

Symptom: Video will stutter on playback almost no motion, and no sound at all on bitstream audio.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

1. I installed the entire driver package for my NUC and verified they are all the latest drivers as well.
  2. I've tried various players, kodi, window 10 movie player (oem one installed with w10) as well as MPCBE
  3. Swapped HDMI Cables
  4. Gigabyte Brix HTPC has no issue on same hardware and same w10 OS image.
  5. All drivers, os updates and bios updated and verified correct versions via device manager.

Regular audio works fine on same files, only when enabling bitstreaming Atmos or DTS:X content does not

The really odd thing is that the dolby access app from the w10 store will play atmos content. Not sure if this is technically bitstreamed or not.

Going on 2 nights now of trying to get this to work.

Hardware connected: Monoprice 48gbps 8k HDMI cable > Denon x4700h 8k AVR > Samsung 4k HDR 6 series tv.

See my attached system report.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
103 Replies
Chris_V_Intel

Hi @MaxMucci 

"Forget about the cable, I'm sure you understand some of the non-sense about cables and this is definitely not the issue here."

Most likely yes, but as I'm sure you know, cables make all the difference. Since we're talking about it, just curious are you using 4K or 8K cables? 

"The picture you attached is about the 4K/8K video format. I suppose you are not using any 8K TV or monitor therefore that setting should be left in the default (Enhanced) position."

Correct. Just wanted to make sure we were agreed on that setting.

"If you really want to test your cable, consider those new units have an internal test.

This is the link to the documentation:

denon_hdmi_diagnostics_and_troubleshooting_eng_im_v00.pdf (theaav.com)

(This document is not updated and doesn't mention the new X-series, but the tool is the same)"

Nice! Thanks for the tip!

"You are getting only stereo... this is very bad. I'm not sure if the tracks you are playing include different formats other than stereo and DTS."

Sorry, let me revise my statement. I was only able to hear stereo out of the AVR when I played a youtube video. Playing the various Dolby/DTS test files I have, I was unable to hear anything. Yet, as I mentioned, when I played the exact same files on the Yamaha AVR, they worked flawlessly, showing both Dolby and DTS formats.

"I think you have access to my e-mail, maybe we want to keep this outside of the community to share ideas and test in a easier way and eventually you'll update the community with your final findings."

I do, but if you could, let's make this official. Can you please use this link and open a case? Our system works so that only the person that opened the original thread is the case owner: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7 

Select, Intel NUC, then make your choice on how you want to open the case.

Lastly, PM me the case#.

This way, whatever we figure out will be in our database so we can help other customers, if need be.

MaxMucci
Beginner

Hi @Chris_V_Intel.

PM?

Ticket Number is  04817008

It happened that I'm using cables which passed the 8K test, but nothing esoteric, just some stuff purchased on Amazon. (someone said I must use fiber optic HDMI cables to solve my issue...)

Regards,

Max

JamesKoziol
Beginner

Just to add more information - I'm having the exact same problem with a NUC10i3FNK. I have it connected via HDMI to a Denon 4700h amp (itself connected to an LG GX OLED). I had started another thread about it:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/HD-audio-passthrough-on-NUC10i3FNK4-not-working/m-p/121267...

There is no HDMI bitstreaming possible of DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, True HD or ATMOS.

I can only get PCM 7.1 sound out (sporadically) via Directsound. I can also get it to bitstream vanilla AC3/DTS via directsound and Wasapi.

I don't think this is a problem with the Denon. My Nuc 10 is an upgrade from a NUC 6 (model: NUC6i3SYK). This older NUC in exactly the same configuration and cables (connected to same port on Denon 4700h via same cable) works perfectly for bitstreaming all HD audio formats.

The reason for the upgrade - the NUC 6 does not do HDR on the HDMI port.

MaxMucci
Beginner
Hi @JamesKoziol,
thank you for adding extra information. Stay tuned, Intel is looking at the issue!
Chris_V_Intel

Thanks for the info @JamesKoziol . I'll test that NUC as well when I go into the office on Wednesday.

@MaxMucci Max, correct me if I'm wrong, but James's issue is a bit different as he can't get any bitstreaming to happen, whereas you can get Dolby formats bitstreamed, correct?

MaxMucci
Beginner

@Chris_V_Intel , @JamesKoziol 

You are right, I get any kind of Dolby format.

To create a clear view of what is happening,  I think we need a common set of tracks and set-ups to play with, too many variables around.

But I also think it is now clear the latest NUCs have some problems in sending out bit-streams (or interfacing with the Denon AVRs).

I'm sure once you address one of those problems, you address all of them. 

Chris_V_Intel

Thanks for the quick reply @MaxMucci .

"I'm sure once you address one of those problems, you address all of them."

I sure hope so!

For testing, I'm using several short test files I've collected throughout the years. Many I've downloaded from here: http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/ here: http://thedigitaltheater.com/dts-trailers/ or here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples.

Chris_V_Intel

Hi guys,

I was able to do some testing today.

Good news

I was able to replicate this issue. The only format I could get surround from was a Dolby Digital file. 

I tried Dolby TrueHD, Dolby ATMOS, DTS HD-MA and DTS:X. 

I have opened a bug report for both systems, NUC8 and NUC10.

Bad News

A warning. GFX issues take a while to get fixed. Meaning, most likely, months. Hopefully not, but I want to manage expectations.

I tend not to post/reply until I have something to say, but feel free to mention me if you want an update.

Take care and I'll let you know more when I do.

JamesKoziol
Beginner

Thanks @Chris_V_Intel 

I'll probably swap out for a Shield TV pro as a media player in the meantime then. I'll keep the NUC around in case we do find a fix.

I would try and return the NUC, but Covid restrictions in our area will make that difficult for a couple of weeks.

Chris_V_Intel

@JamesKoziol 

You're welcome and I completely understand.

MaxMucci
Beginner

Hi @Chris_V_Intel Chris, hope everything is fine there.

I understand it is still early but just checking to see if you have any update.
I have improved my home theater with new Klipsch loudspeakers, they had a great offer for just few days.
Now I just need to fix the NUC...
Stay safe,
Max
Chris_V_Intel

Hi @MaxMucci,

No worries, you can always ask for an update.

We're moving, but slowly. I had to send an AVR receiver to our engineering team and that has just arrived so they can start their testing.

By the way, did you and @JamesKoziol hear about an issue with all HDMI 2.1 devices so far? https://www.audioholics.com/news/bug-in-hdmi-2.1-chipsets 

Granted it doesn't matter for this situation, but just wanted to make you aware. 

Cheers!

Chris

Street
Beginner

It's good to know I'm not the only one with a similar issue and that there is a possible fix in the works.

My new Nuc10i3 turned up last week and I've been able to get bitstreaming working for everything apart from DTS-HD MA and TrueHD. These show up on the amp as playing but I don't get any audio. If I skip around in the file, it occasionally plays a bit but then stops if I pause or skip again.

My set up is Nuc to an older Denon AVR-1610 to PC. With my old PC that unfortunately die, bitstreaming has been working perfectly for years. 

I even bought a new HDMI cable and a USB-C adapter to test it on the off chance that this would make a difference, but still no joy.

Chris_V_Intel

Hi @Street,

This isssue is only on HDMI 2.1 AV receivers only.

As your AVR is HDMI 1.4 or 2.0, you shouldn't have any issues.

Note my post from Jun 29th where I say I can play every format and shared an example. That was with an HDMI 2.0 AVR.

Street
Beginner

Weird, everything worked perfectly up until swapping in the new PC.

I haven't changed anything on the amp, except new HDMI cables to see if that made a difference so I can't see why HD audio doesn't play now. The amp is lighting up as receiving an HD stream and other streams work.

I'll hook my laptop up to the amp tonight and give it a test to see if it works with that.

Chris_V_Intel

"Weird, everything worked perfectly up until swapping in the new PC."

Don't you just love when that happens.

Please do let us know what you find out with the laptop.

MaxMucci
Beginner

Interesting... luckily that bug is about video 8K or 4K/120 and not about audio, but maybe we are discovering an extra bug! 

Street
Beginner

Well I hooked my laptop up and it worked flawlessly straight away.

Strangely, I've noticed that the audio is in fact playing all the time, just really quietly and if I crank the volume right up, it is slightly audible. Sometimes when I start a video, it will play fine, but if I pause or skip it will go quiet again.

When I've got more time at the weekend, I'll wipe it and start from scratch again with a fresh install.

Chris_V_Intel

Thanks for the update.

That indeed is odd.

Let us know about your reinstall.

zimster
Beginner

I was very glad to find this thread.  I am having the exact same bitreaming problem and have been struggling for the last week to figure out what was going on.  I have a NUC10i7 going into a Marantz 7015 2.1 HDMI receiver.   

Happy to hear Intel is investigating a fix. Any update on how that's going?  When a solution is found will it be posted on this thread?

Thanks

Tags (1)