cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demoncamber
New Contributor I

NUC10i5 wont bitstream audio to brand new AVR especially DTS X or Atmos

Jump to solution

My brand new NUC10i5FNH wont bitstream audio to brand new AVR especially DTS X or Atmos. My previous Celeron Gigabyte brix worked perfectly fine with intel hardware which this directly replaced. I know it's not my setup.

*update* This is now Intel case number 04708595

Symptom: Video will stutter on playback almost no motion, and no sound at all on bitstream audio.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

1. I installed the entire driver package for my NUC and verified they are all the latest drivers as well.
  2. I've tried various players, kodi, window 10 movie player (oem one installed with w10) as well as MPCBE
  3. Swapped HDMI Cables
  4. Gigabyte Brix HTPC has no issue on same hardware and same w10 OS image.
  5. All drivers, os updates and bios updated and verified correct versions via device manager.

Regular audio works fine on same files, only when enabling bitstreaming Atmos or DTS:X content does not

The really odd thing is that the dolby access app from the w10 store will play atmos content. Not sure if this is technically bitstreamed or not.

Going on 2 nights now of trying to get this to work.

Hardware connected: Monoprice 48gbps 8k HDMI cable > Denon x4700h 8k AVR > Samsung 4k HDR 6 series tv.

See my attached system report.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
103 Replies
zimster
Beginner

@Chris_V_Intel 

[tagging the moderator, sorry for the repost]

I was very glad to find this thread.  I am having the exact same bitreaming problem and have been struggling for the last week to figure out what was going on.  I have a NUC10i7 going into a Marantz 7015 2.1 HDMI receiver.   

Happy to hear Intel is investigating a fix. Any update on how that's going?  When a solution is found will it be posted on this thread?

Thanks

Chris_V_Intel

Hi @zimster 

Glad you found us!

The debug team is in the midst of testing. If I hear of any updates, I'll post it here. Same with a solution. I will post the solution/link to the solution on this thread.

Chris_V_Intel

Hi guys,

A quick update.

Our engineering debug team has reproduced the issue and are working with the chip vendor on a fix.

I've been told there will be another update in a couple weeks.

Take care,

Chris

MaxMucci
Beginner

Thank you @Chris_V_Intel for the update.

Working with the chip manufacturer? Oops, maybe this is not something which can be fixed in firmware...

Anyway, let's hope for a Christmas present.

Regards, Max  

Street
Beginner

I didn't have any joy with the reinstall and I tried every combination of drivers and updates with no luck so I tested out some other kit I had.

With my laptop which is an older i7 and my desktop which is a Ryzen 7 it worked perfectly. However I tested it with my missus's laptop and my other desktop which are both newer i5s and it did the same as the NUC.

I've ended up upgrading my amp, now it works fine. I get no screen flickering on a restart until I change the refresh rate and bitstreaming works every time. I'm guessing the newer Intel GPUs didn't like the older HDMI connections on my amp which is nearly 12 years old.

Aviram
Beginner

i have similar problem : 

i had the NUC5CPYH that work great with my YAMAHA receiver and passthrough TRUE-HD. while buying a new NUC : BXNUC10i5FNH is doesn't work.

i update the BIOS, and HDMI FIRMWARE, INSTALL a new clean copy of windows 10 pro 64bit and update all the newest drivers. and still... my receiver recognize only PCM
i didn't change the HDMI CABLE or the my receiver ,.. and these two work fine with the old NUC (NUC5CPYH).

Chris_V_Intel

Hi all,

I just received another update.

The team has figured out what's causing this issue and is working on a solution.

I don't have a timeline of what that solution will be available, but just wanted you all to know, we are continuing to see progress here. 

One step at a time.

laledan
Beginner
Hi
Do you know if it is firmware or driver related?
I have a motherboard that has the same hdmi chip as intel nuc.

Same problem for me with the 2020 marantz/denon recivers.

Returned the marantz sr7015 for now and bought a used AV7705.
Chris_V_Intel

Hi @laledan ,

At least on the NUC-side this is FW related.

We should have a new HDMI FW release for our NUCs in the next few weeks.

laledan
Beginner
Awesome!
I have used the firmware from nuc before.
My moterboard is a gigabyte z390 i wifi.
It has the same lpscon hdmi chip.

Please post here when the firmware is done.

Chris_V_Intel

Well hopefully this one will work as well.

I'll certainly post the link when I have it!

andyp
Beginner

Hi

Could I ask if there is an update? I think I have exactly the same issue with a Denon X3700H - unable to bitstream any HD multichannel audio to it.

Thanks

Andy

Chris_V_Intel

You have good timing @andyp

I have posted a HDMI firmware update for both NUCs that were affected.

Let me know if you still have problems, otherwise, I'll call this closed! Thank you all for your patience.

FYI: @MaxMucci @JamesKoziol 

Update Feb. 16th, 2021

Hi all,

We've had to take down the HDMI FW updates temporarily, but you can still get them by contacting Intel customer support and opening a case: https://supporttickets.intel.com/servicecenter?lang=en-US 

We apologize for the inconvenience. 

View solution in original post

andyp
Beginner

Hi

Great to hear, thanks.

In all honestly I don't have an Intel NUC - like some of the others it's another manufacturers motherboard with the same LSPCON.

Obviously I don't expect you to advise which one to use, and I take responsibility for flashing etc..

Can you say what is the difference between the two files from an Intel NUC perspective - they seem to have minor version number differences. Don't worry if you can't.

Thanks

Andy

Aviram
Beginner

will the firmware will work on NUC10i5FNB ?

laledan
Beginner

The link for the NUC10ixFN is not a new firmware.

I flashed my gigabyte z390i with the one for NUC8ixBE with no problem.

Cant tell if the bitstream works yet since i returned my SR-7015.

Will take  my htpc to  the store and test it when i got time.

Aviram
Beginner

hi,

i updated the firmware and still got the same problem my NUC10i5FNH doesn't transmit hd audio throughout the hdmi to my receiver Yamaha rx-750.

thing that work fine with the old nuc i got....

Aviram

Chris_V_Intel

This is definitely new FW, for both products.

@andyp 

The NUC8 FW is for 10th Gen (Coffee Lake) processors.

The NUC10 FW is for 10th Gen (Comet Lake) processors.

@Aviram your receiver is not an HDMI 2.1 receiver, this is only for HDMI 2.1 receivers. I posted on 6/29/20 that I tested the NUC10 on an HDMI 2.0 receiver and had no issues.

laledan
Beginner
Wierd,when i click the link i get 1.77.06 firmware.
Found it with a little search thou.
Must be some cashe thing in my browser.

Many thanks,will try them out when i can.
Aviram
Beginner
Hi,
But i got issue with my yamaha 750.
I used to able to hear true hd sound with the same yamaha abd old nuc. Once i replaced it with new nuc 10 gen it stopped working.
Cab you please send me the solution for that?
Thanks
Aviram