cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demoncamber
New Contributor I

NUC10i5 wont bitstream audio to brand new AVR especially DTS X or Atmos

Jump to solution

My brand new NUC10i5FNH wont bitstream audio to brand new AVR especially DTS X or Atmos. My previous Celeron Gigabyte brix worked perfectly fine with intel hardware which this directly replaced. I know it's not my setup.

*update* This is now Intel case number 04708595

Symptom: Video will stutter on playback almost no motion, and no sound at all on bitstream audio.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

1. I installed the entire driver package for my NUC and verified they are all the latest drivers as well.
  2. I've tried various players, kodi, window 10 movie player (oem one installed with w10) as well as MPCBE
  3. Swapped HDMI Cables
  4. Gigabyte Brix HTPC has no issue on same hardware and same w10 OS image.
  5. All drivers, os updates and bios updated and verified correct versions via device manager.

Regular audio works fine on same files, only when enabling bitstreaming Atmos or DTS:X content does not

The really odd thing is that the dolby access app from the w10 store will play atmos content. Not sure if this is technically bitstreamed or not.

Going on 2 nights now of trying to get this to work.

Hardware connected: Monoprice 48gbps 8k HDMI cable > Denon x4700h 8k AVR > Samsung 4k HDR 6 series tv.

See my attached system report.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
103 Replies
andyp
Beginner

Hi

@Chris_V_Intel you are a scholar and a gentleman!

Works great. Asrock Z370 ITX board. Flashed with the 8th gen version.

Now through PowerDVD 20 Ultra (with high def pass through enabled - press D whilst playing to see details overlay and should show 'Output: Compressed Data') through motherboard HDMI port - can play Dolby Atmos and DTS:X MA fine.

Thanks
Andy

Chris_V_Intel

@laledan Yeah, sorry, it can take some time for our systems to refersh everything. 

@Aviram I don't have anything to fix your issue without much more information. Please open a case here: https://supporttickets.intel.com/?lang=en-US and we can work with you individually.

Chris_V_Intel

@andyp 

Lol.

Hey! You're not a NUC cusotmer.

I'm happy it worked for you though!

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

OMG! Stop saying that stuff! You'll only make his head fatter. Scholar indeed. He's hard enough to put up with as it is, a regular William (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqycJpRdVaY).

...S

Chris_V_Intel

Hey! I resemble that remark!

ThisOne
Beginner

The link to the NUC8ixBE firmware no longer works, is there an updated link?

powwow
Beginner

hi andy. just got the x3700h and have same problem. NUC8 no lossless audio, all other ok. have you found a working solution? thanks

powwow
Beginner

Hi Chris.

I have the same problem with my NUC8iBEH2 and Denon X3700H. No lossless audio.

I've updated to new HDMI version as per instructions in this thread and all my drivers and BIOS are up to date. 

Still no HD audio! So frustrating...

andyp
Beginner

Hi

The HDMI firmware update worked for me.

What software are you using to play media files (and what sort of files are you playing)??

Have you definitely got bitstreaming enabled in the software??

I'm assuming you have HDMI out from NUC into Denon (I know it's obvious but worth checking!)

A

powwow
Beginner
Software:
PowerDVD 20 - non decoded high definition audio - WASAPI output
KODI [latest] - direct sound WASAPI out
MPC-HC (mostly to get stream information etc.) - Bitstreaming S/PDIF , HDMI all formats boxes ticked.

Yes, intel NUC8 to Denon AVC-X3700H and then via-eARC to Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV
andyp
Beginner

Hmm... strange.

I use PowerDVD 20 as well, set up the same way. Occasionally, I have an issue when Non-Decoded High Definition Audio is not in the dropdown and Stereo is - it seems to be an HDMI handshake issue and rebooting normally fixes it.

Apologise if this is obvious.... Just to check, when you press D to get the details box in the top right in PowerDVD, it definitely shows 'Output: Compressed Data' and for 'Audio:' - something high def HD Master/True HD etc..

When you say eARC - do you mean the Denon is set to the TV input setting for the audio or is it set to one of the other inputs?? - I use the 8K one (not that that should make a difference).

What is the input media source (MKV/ISO etc..)??

A

Chris_V_Intel

Hi all, Some answers.

@ThisOne  We had to remove the HDMI firmware update for the NUC8ixBE family. It's still available, but you have to contact us and open a case.

@powwow About your Denon comment. As @andyp has mentioned, it works for him and of course, I tested the firmware before I posted it, and it worked for me as well-on a Denon AVR-X2700H.

I'm sure you know what you're doing, but i didn't until I did some reading, so just in case :), you have to turn the audio to "auto" in order to get this working correctly-at least I did. Never had an AVR where you had to set something and it didn't just work outside of the box. Silly Denon.

From the manual:

auto.png

powwow
Beginner

Annoying and frustrating.

Yes, PowerDVD "D" info box - Audio: Dolby Treue HD .....Kbps / Output: Compressed data

eARC Monitor1 Video output to eARC on TV (HDMI Control/Smart Menu etc.)

NUC plugged to regular 4K input,  8K not in use at the moment.

I use both .MKV and .ISO mostly

My 12 y/o Yamaha RX-A1020 plays anything you throw at in. Never skipped a beat. It's my first Denon and I'm not happy. I heard about HDMI 2.1 glitch in 2021 units but wasn't bothered with it, but this goes way beyond. I initiated return and thinking about swapping it for AVR-X4500H which cost the same a.t.m.

JamesKoziol
Beginner

It's not the Denon. I have a 3700H, and I had issues with the 10th Gen Intel NUC not outputting high res audio. That turned out to be dodgy firmware for the LSPCon chip (which they eventually fixed). However,  the high resolution audio (all formats, including DTS-X, True HD with Atmos) worked correctly with a much older 6th generation NUC.

I've since ditched the NUC's for an nVidia Shield TV unit as a media player, and that has been much more rock solid, with proper HDR/Dolby Vision support. It's also hasn't skipped a beat outputting high resolution audio to the Denon 3700h.

The only HDMI issue I have had with the Denon is the front Aux HDMI port doesn't seem to like HDR video, and I haven't tried it with high resolution audio. Like you, I haven't used the 8K input for any sources as yet.

The Intel NUC series seems to be let down somewhat by the configuration of the internal graphics. The chipset seems to output only Displayport, which then needs a converter chip (LSPCon) to convert to HDMI. If you search, multiple generations of the NUCs have had audio issues over HDMI, usually due to some firmware fault which is then fixed post release. Why it isn't picked up earlier in testing, IDK. I think the 11th Gen NUC's may have an updated graphics chip that will hopefully avoid this issue.

powwow
Beginner
OK, all is clear now. Thanks for that @JamesKoziol
I guess it’s Nvidia Shield TV or Denon X3700H needs to go back.
I wonder if previous models had the same problem. I could still swap the 3700 for 3600 or the 4500. Don’t see benefits of having single troublesome HDMI 2.1
Were there any problems reported with x3600 or X4500 concerning HD sound issue?
powwow
Beginner

SORTED!

I researched "LSPCon" a bit and it took me to Intel's support page explaining problems related to HDMI audio on devices that use the converter chip instead of a native HDMI 2.0.

(https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024118/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html)

I did the update yesterday BUT used the FW v.177 which was originally intended for 8th gen. NUC (i have NUC8i7BE) and not the latest FW v. 1.78.2.0.6, intended for 10th gen. NUC (NUC10ixBE)

I did the update with my fingers crossed if my 8th gen NUC was gonna wake up after reboot at all. My device was not listed in the list of supported (valid) products.

The instruction should've been made clearer but I'm happy with this fix.

I can confirm, Dolby Atmos - TrueHD and DTS:X Master work like a charm.

Thanks everyone who chimed in on this.

Below is the link to the latest HDMI firmware update.

(https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29779/)

Chris_V_Intel

Thanks, @powwow for letting us know about your experience.

Considering that FW has not been tested with your NUC, I would go here; https://supporttickets.intel.com/?lang=en-US open a case and request the FW version for your NUC.

powwow
Beginner
Thanks, @Chris_V_Intel
The link to appropriate firmware (v.1.77) was removed from Intel’s page but I managed to find .zip file online.
I installed the update but it did absolutely nothing. Then I thought I could try to to update it to the latest version available (1.83) to download from Intel’s page and voilà!
After all, all NUCs share the same converter chip that is affecting HDMI 2.1 Denon AVRs. Or at least 8th and 10th generation as per information I managed to gather online.
andyp
Beginner

@powwow - that makes more sense. I couldn't understand how 1.77 worked!!

Out of interest - where did you find 1.83??

Thanks
Andy

powwow
Beginner