Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11297 Discussions

NUC10i5FNH doesn't recognise 3.5mm Audio Out

area-concierge
Beginner

Hello,

I've recently purchased an NUC10i5FNH. This computer is running Win10 v20H2 (Build 19042.685) with BIOS v047

I got this computer, setup Windows 10 on it. As part of the setup, I remember seeing the Realtek audio panel getting installed on it. Then, I got a prompt for new BIOS (v046) and installed it (the BIOS).

Due to some errors when installing Linux on the second SSD, I had to reinstall Windows 10 on the NUC almost immediately after. However, in the second install (post BIOS v046), the Realtek audio drivers never get installed. The installation runs, but after rebooting, the Intel Driver Assistant tells me that I need to install these drivers again. The drivers it points me to are located here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29213

In Windows Device Manager, the Intel SST OED device shows an error triangle. On inspecting the properties, I see this:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

FW did not sent FW Ready notification."

I've tried to install the drivers in the following ways

1. Run the installer from from the Intel Driver Assistant in the browser
2. Download the driver and run the installer.
3. Download the driver, extract the files. Then go to Windows Device Manager > remove the Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology device and its driver > install driver from location.

All three have the same outcome - after reboot, the 3.5 mm jack doesn't work and the Intel Download Assistant tells me I need to download the drivers again.

Yes, I've also confirmed that HD Audio is enabled as per the guidance on this link: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC10i7FNH-3-5-jack-audio-output-is-not-working/td-p/12334...

In Ubuntu Linux 20.10, when I connect the audio jack to a set of speakers, I hear static. Perhaps this means the hardware is live but can't recognised? I'm not sure.

I would like to add that audio out via USB, HDMI and Bluetooth does work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @area-concierge

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Could you please try the following steps and let us know the outcome:

1- Go to Windows® Settings >> Sound >> Output and check that the device selected is the one connected to the 3.5mm audio jack. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

2- Perform a cold reboot (hold the power button until the PC powers off and then power on the NUC). If the problem persists, continue to the next steps.

3- Try reinstalling one more time the latest Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit, Version: 6.0.8950.1

4- Since the system is already running the latest BIOS Version 0047, we recommend trying a BIOS recovery.

Here is the BIOS Version 0047 - BIOS Update [FNCML357] required for this task and please refer to the BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUCs with the Aptio V BIOS Core (We recommend using the method: BIOS Recovery by Security Jumper).

5- After the BIOS recovery is completed, please restore BIOS to factory defaults:

• Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  • Press F9 to set factory defaults.
  • Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

Then double-check that front panel audio is enabled in BIOS:

1. Press F2 during start to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices.
  3. Enable the Audio setting (check the box).
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

If the problem persists, could you please confirm the following details to check this further?

1- Is the driver and the Realtek Audio Console application installed (detected) in Windows® Apps and Features? You may also provide some screenshots from Windows® Apps and Features and from Device Manager.

2- Did the issue start after you updated to BIOS version 0046 or 0047? Or after reinstalling the operating system? Please provide details.

3- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

AndrewG_Intel

Hello area-concierge

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello area-concierge

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.