within the optional windows updates there was a package to update the firmware of my Intel NUC (NUC10i5FNH).
Now it is hanging on the screen “EC Firmware Update Progress” (see picture).
The power on and off Button is not working to initiate a “soft restart”.
I didn’t turn power completely off yet.
Does anybody has any hints?
Edit: almost an hour after this screen appeared the next step started and is another 30 minutes later at 10%. This is shockingly slow and without any warning about the expected durance.
This is abnormal. BIOS update, usually takes 2-3 minutes. If the update process is still progressing, I suggest that you should wait until successfully ends or fails. In both cases, I would update BIOS again in two steps: BIOS Recovery by BIOS Secure Jumper Removed and than BIOS update by F7.
1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows. Download the FNCML357.0052.RECOVERY.zip and extract the FNCML357.cap file. Copy the FNCML357.cap file to the root of this USB.
2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 33 in Technical Product Specification)
5. Insert the USB with the FNCML357.cap file into rear USB slot.
6. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
7. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
8. Power your NUC ON.
9. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
10. Press F9(followed by Enter), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by Enter), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
1. Download FN0052.CAP BIOS file and copy it to the root of the USB stick (instead of FNCML357.cap)
2. Insert the USB with the FN0052.cap file into rear USB slot (your NUC should be OFF)
3. Power ON you NUC and when you see the Intel NUC logo, repeatedly click on F7. NUC will boot into storage menu. You should select your USB stick (mass storage device) and than the FN0052.cap file. Click enter the update will start and end during 2-3 minutes.
4. When update ends, the NUC will reboot.
Hi, Leon, I have been having the same problem with my NUC10i5FNB running Windows 10 (all updates applied). I could not update the BIOS from 0051, and the MS firmware update would not happen; the system would hang just as JanSC14 said. I followed your instructions and was successfully able to update to 0052. All looks to be OK. Thanks very much for your help and detailed instructions.
I'm very glad that you were able to update the BIOS. In the first step of my instructions (recovery), the ME part of BIOS firmware was unlocked, while during the F7 update, in addition to other parts of BIOS firmware, the Management Engine (ME) and Embeded Controller (EC) parts are updated also.