Hi Intel NUC Community,
Yesterday received brand new NUC10i5FNHN unit. Equipped it with memory, disks, installed Linux OS. Left it running. After couple of hours fan started to spin at high, probably full speed above 4000 RPM. Fan setting in UEFI/BIOS at default values. Temperatures in BIOS page seems to be normal, CPU/motherboard ~35-36 C. Fan runs at full speed regardless it is in BIOS or OS booted.
Any advice how to debug and overcome this trouble?
1. Check if you have the latest BIOS version 0053. If not yet, please download FN0053.CAP and update your BIOS using F7 method.
2. Reset BIOS all setting to default (rather than fan settings only). Reboot your NUC and only then enter BIOS to set your specific settings.
That's a real bummer for a brand new computer. If it didn't do it at first, I would be a little suspicious about the "installed Linux OS." It could have been hijacked and started crypto mining! If you have to take it all apart to send it back anyway, I might try reinstalling the OS first.
Thank you Guys for input
That is true, a little bummer. Hope that will manage somehow with warranty.
Good point with crypto
I would try first to have this replaced through your place-of-purchase.
If that fails, after verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography:
- U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support NA
- Europe, Middle East and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA
- Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC
- Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR
You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.
Hope this helps,