Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11300 Discussions

NUC10i5FNK - Fan is unreliable (after firmware upgrade?)

HedAurabesh
Beginner

Hi everyone.

I have purchased a new NUC10i5FNK this month. When I started it the first time (on an older firmware) the fan briefly went to 100% and then slowed down after a few seconds and the system ran quite stable and very silent after setting the cooling mode to "quiet",

Now, in the process of updating all drivers, I also updated the firmware of the NUC to the most recent version 0047. Things seemed to be going well. Gaming, browsing, watching videos, all quite smoothly.

But the next time I started it, the NUC suddenly shut down and on reboot reported an overheat situation. This happened a few times randomly.

So I checked out the fan, and I noticed than on every boot, there is now a 50% chance of the fan not starting. Sometimes it helps to jump-start it by blowing on it, but sometimes it doesn't and only a reboot will start it. Sometimes it briefly twitches, but doesn't start spinning. And sometimes it randomly starts after being on for a few minutes.

Furthermore, when it runs, it sits at a permanent 700 RPM, getting neither slower nor faster, even when I set the UEFI cooling settings to "Fixed 100%".

I tried resetting the UEFI to "Optimized Defaults", but that did not help either.

Do you have any idea what could cause this? Is this a defect in the firmware version 0047?

Is there a way, maybe, to reset the Embedded Controller, in case the UEFI wrote wrong values?

Thanks! All help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Update your BIOS again, using BIOS Recovery from the Power Button Menu method. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC).

2. Download FNCML357.0047.RECOVERY.zip and extract the FNCML357.cap file from this archive. Copy the FNCML357.cap to the root of the previously prepared USB stick. Insert this USB stick into rear USB port on your NUC. Reconnect the Power Adapter.

3. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu (this will take about 60 seconds). You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.

4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen). When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.

5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Hope this will help

Leon

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @HedAurabesh 

1. Start from resetting BIOS to default settings: while in BIOS click on F9, confirmed by "Y".

2. Next open the Cooling tab and uncheck the Fan Off Capability.

3, Finally, click on F10 followed by "Y" to save settings and exit to Windows.

Leon

HedAurabesh
Beginner
Hi Leon

Thanks for the reply. I already tried disabling the fan off, but it has no effect. I even set the fan to "Fixed 100%" mode and it is the same result -- either 0 RPM or 700 RPM.
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Update your BIOS again, using BIOS Recovery from the Power Button Menu method. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC).

2. Download FNCML357.0047.RECOVERY.zip and extract the FNCML357.cap file from this archive. Copy the FNCML357.cap to the root of the previously prepared USB stick. Insert this USB stick into rear USB port on your NUC. Reconnect the Power Adapter.

3. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu (this will take about 60 seconds). You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.

4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen). When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.

5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Hope this will help

Leon

View solution in original post

HedAurabesh
Beginner

Hi @LeonWaksman, hi everyone else.

A combination of two fixes solved the issue.

The first fix was to ensure that the computer booted with the fan spinning (at ~700 RPM as stated before). Then I installed a software that ran the CPU and GPU at 100%. I used the BOINC client for that.

After a few minutes of maxing out the computer, the fan started running at 4000 RPM; its max speed that I had configured in the UEFI.

Even after multiple reboots (and cool-downs) it kept running at the 100% speed that I selected. So the EC seems to have corrected itself.

Then I followed your advice and reset the UEFI via the recovery, disabled fan-off and set the temperature scaling to CPU-65°C-20%-4% and Mainboard-55°C-20%-4%.

This reduced the fan speed to ~1100 RPM (barely audible) and it gracefully scaled to about 2500 RPM at full load.

So the NUC is now running again as expected. Thanks a lot!