cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC10i5FNK not starting after BIOS settings change

Hi there!

I recently bought an NUC10i5FNK NUC. I've installed the memory, SSD and did a Windows 10 install. Everything worked great!

Then I wanted to try a different OS, so I needed to change the BIOS settings of the NUC to be able to boot from legacy devices (since I wanted to try and OpenElec/Libreelec install on an SD card). Changed the power mode from modern to classic and disabled secure boot mode so I could enable legacy mode. After this the NUC powers up (Power LED is constant blue), but without any kind of response. I can't see the usual BIOS screen, even tried a recovery using the jumper method. But to no avail...

Is the unit bricked? Is there anything I can try to fix the issue?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Try a CMOS reset.

Unplug unit from A/C power, open bottom of unit and unplug wire from CR2032 battery. Go have a coffee (or tea or soda or cocktail) for 15 minutes. Reconnect battery, restore cover and plug unit back in. Try powering on. If can, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup and reset BIOS configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Already tried this, but no luck. Waited 15 minutes after unplugging the CR2032 before reconnecting and booting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Try to reach the Power Button Menu: press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.
  2. Try to boot into Configuration Menu: power ON your NUC with the Yellow Security Jumper removed. Do not insert any USB stick into USB port.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

I've also tried both methods, but without any effect. I still keep getting nothing. I tried removing everything except for the RAM (got 2 RAM sticks, tested with both), restarting the NUC with the jumper, without the jumper. I can't get in the Power Button Menu or anything. It seems that the NUC is simply not sending out any HDMI signal and I can't use my keyboard (not getting power or something).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Can you try the Thunderbolt 3 video output?
  2. Try to boot with Windows Installation Media USB, inserted into rear USB port.
  3. Try to boot with all external devices disconnected (headless). See if you see drive activity LED blinking.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

Unfortunately I don't have a Thunderbolt 3 adapter / cable to test.

When I try to boot anything the HDD light is not showing me anything.

I'm going to ask for an RMA of the unit at the store I bought it from. Thanks a lot for your help and have a nice weekend!