Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12511 Discussions

NUC10i7 boot sometime fails - when this happens, removing and reinserting power cable boots OK

gulri
Novice

Is there a fix other than removing & reinserting the power cord?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Waiting for Windows 12]

gulri
Novice

Hello Doc,

Text file is attached.

...george

Alberto_R_Intel

gulri, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

When did you purchase it?

Was it working fine before?

If so, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

gulri
Novice
It is not a new NUC. It was purchased in May 2020.
It has worked fine and still does except for the occasion failure to boot.
The issue started about 2 months ago. Uncertain about the first time it happened.
The only changes recently have been updates from Microsoft, Intel, and Malwarebytes. A few additions and removals of thumb drives to usb ports have occurred.
The problem occurs at home on the NUC. Does not occur on wife's HP laptop.
No other questions ...george

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @gulri 

Can you describe what you see exactly when "...boot sometime fails..."?  

- is the power LED illuminated?

- is the cooling blower working?

- can you see some video output (for example Intel NUC logo, Windows swinging ring)?

- any thing else you see

Leon

gulri
Novice

Leon - 

When it fails, the power LED does not illuminate, the blower does not start, there is no sign of activity on the monitor. The system is completely quiet. No video response.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello George,

I know that the BIOS on your NUC is updated to version 0055. However, I suggest that you again update BIOS, but this time in two steps:

Step I:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows. Download the FNCML357.0055.RECOVERY.zip and extract the  FNCML357 file. Copy the FNCML357 file to the root of this USB.
2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 33 in Technical Product Specification)
5. Insert the USB with the FNCML357 file into rear USB slot.
6. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
7. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Remove the USB and reinstall the bottom panel.
8. Power your NUC ON.
9. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
10. Press F9(followed by Enter), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by Enter), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Step II
1. Download the FN0055.CAP file. Replace the FNCML357 file on USB with the  FN0055.CAP file. Insert the USB with the FN0055.CAP  file into rear USB slot (your NUC should be OFF)
2. Power ON you NUC and when you see the Intel NUC logo, repeatedly click on F7. NUC will boot into storage menu. You should select your USB stick (mass storage device) and then the FN0055.CAP  file. Click enter the update will start and end during 2-3 minutes.
3. When update ends, the NUC will reboot.

After BIOS recovery and update, power OFF your NUC, disconnect the Power Adapter and disconnect the CMOS battery connector (item "C", fig.12, page 23 in the Technical Product Specification). Reconnect it after 15 minutes, close the NUC and check. 

Leon

gulri
Novice

Leon,

I got past item 8 in step 1 easily. But using F2, F9, & F10 in items 9 and 10 had no effect and left me at the screen requiring a Bitlocker Recovery key (number), which I cannot find. I've looked in my NUC recovery files with no luck. The screen gives a 32 numeral-letter sequence in 5 groups but it doesn't provide any help or I don't know how to apply it.

I also went to <aka.ms/recoverykfaq> that leads to microsoft but no solution there either.

Attached is the screen I'm at. What's my next step?

...george

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi George,

I have to admit that I was never in this situation, since to avoid such surprises I never use drive encryption (i.e. bitlocker). So, my experience here is limited.

1.   Start with booting again into BIOS (F2 when you see the Intel NUC logo).  Click on Boot tab and check if Secure Boot is enabled. If not enable it and press F10 to save settings and exit from BIOS).

2. If the above didn't helped, you may check in your Microsoft Account if the Bitlocker Key is saved there. See this video how to do this.

3. You may try to use the method shown here: Missing BitLocker Recovery Key Resolved!!. Looks promessing.

Hope this will help.

Leon

gulri
Novice

Well Leon, I tried all the tricks and found a couple more, but nothing gets me past the bitlocker issue. I reran the FNCML357 bios recovery and got thru all 10 items successfully. Then I ran the 2nd step FN0055 thru item 3, but the reboot was back to the bitlocker screen. I attempted the final step after BIOS recovery, but am not able to disconnect the tiny CMOS battery connector.

I'll resort to reinstalling W10 if I can acquire a copy using my product key and find a way to install it. Any further advice will be appreciated.

...george

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello George,

I'm sorry that you can't boot into Windows now. You can however, reinstall Windows and activate it using the product key from the current installation. 

1. I suggest you install Windows using the following method:
2. Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB – 32GB USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. This will install the latest version.
3. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit (you did this already).
4. With the installation media inserted into the rear USB slot, power ON your NUC and repeatedly press F10 to get Boot Menu.
5. In this menu, choose the UEFI option of your Installation media.
6. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation.
7. In para. 9 you may enter the Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought . Please read the other option described in para. 9. 
8. Skip on para. 14 and continue in para. 15. Important, do not format the drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
9. Press Next and continue with the installation.

10.Once you finished the Windows 10 installation, you should download and install all drivers for your NUC.
The drivers you may find on Intel Download Page for your NUC. You have to manually download and install the Chipset Device Software as a first driver. Once you have this driver installed, reboot your NUC and continue with the other drivers (Graphics, WiFi, etc,...). The sequence of the installation is now not important and you must reboot your NUC only once, after the last driver is installed.
After installing the Chipset Software, you may download and install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and use it to install all the drivers, instead of doing this manually.

Once the installation is finished, I suggest that you turn OFF the Bitlocker to avoid future problems.

Leon

gulri
Novice

Hi Leon, 

I was not able to bypass the Bitlocker problem, but I did resolve the issue. I replaced the locked out 1TB ssd with a 500GB ssd from my old NUC, and after the lengthy reinstallation of W10 and Intel's internet drivers, everything's working great.

I'm now left with the frozen ssd and wondering if there's a way to clean it up. Thanks for sticking with the project.

...george

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi George,

1. Could you boot int Boot Menu as explained in para.4 in my post above?

2. If the answer in para. 1 is Yes, you should be able to clean up the SSD by deleting all existing partitions from SSD as explained in para 8 above.

Leon

gulri
Novice

Leon,

I could enter the Boot menu (the bios menu) but could not get past the UEFI setup to bypass the Bitlocker key to see any partitions or any thing else. But when I installed the older ssd, I could delete all the partitions and reinstall W10 with no problems. And that's where I am now. So I'm still stuck with the frozen 1TB ssd. I suppose I could stick it in the old NUC and try to clean it up there. If and when I get time.

...george

LeonWaksman
Super User

George,

1. I've learned now that it is not easy to erase/format locked wit Bitlocker drive.  I don't know what that means "...but could not get past the UEFI setup..." ? You mean that you couldn't boot for the installation USB and start the installation?

2. Do you have a USB to M.2 NVMe Adapter that you can connect the locked SSD to your NUC?

3. The articles may give you some help: How to Easily Format/Unlock Encrypted Hard Drive without Password? and Create Windows 11/10/8/8.1/7 Bootable USB with AOMEI Partition Assistant

Leon

gulri
Novice

Thanks for the detailed help. Believe me I will turn off bitlocker.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello gulri, I just wanted to check if you were able to reinstall Windows? Also, if the boot problem still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

gulri
Novice

Hi Albert, I was able to resolve the problem with Leon's help. The solution finally was to replace the ssd drive using the one in my old NUC, and that resolved the encryption problem altho the original drive is still locked up with no Bitlocker key. The NUC is now back in good working order and so far no boot problem has occurred.

...george ulrich

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi gulri, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

"The solution finally was to replace the ssd drive using the one in my old NUC", perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that after replacing the SSD the encryption problem got fixed and now the Intel® NUC is working properly.

Any othe inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

LEON WAKSMAN, thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Albert R.