Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC10i7FNH Freezes Randomly - Win 10, NUC, Multiple Problems?

Several days of light usage, transitioning files and programs over to NUC with no problems. Starting March 12th, began having random freezes requiring pulling the power plug. The night before had installed Office 365 and there was a Win 10 update KB4540673

Freezes: either screen goes white, goes black, or mouse and keyboard don't function while displaying whatever was open.

Research said could be Win 10 update, but older NUCs had freeze issues and could be related to multiple things.

I ran Intel Driver and Support Asst, scannow, scanhealth, memory check. All good and up to date. Win 10 Home up to date.

Monday I disconnected second monitor, had one freeze later, then no more despite using computer a lot until Thursday night. Happened after I ran Intel Support Utility and updated BIOS for recent release. And computer froze shortly after. And again today.

Intel SSU says chipset needs updating, even after BIOS update.

I need help resolving this!

NUC10i7FNH

2x8GB Crucial 2666 memory

Samsung EVO 970 M2 drive

Samsung EVO 860 sata drive

Powered Inland 7 port USB hub

Logitech Bluetooth (Unifying Receiver) trackball M570

Logitech wireless keyboard (not unifying receiver)

Brother MFC L8900CDW

All USB devices plugged into hub

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

This is the reliability monitor visual. (Monitor is connected HDMI to DVI cable)Annotation 2020-03-20 131010.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Deleted irrelevant info

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

In the Power & Sleep scene in Windows Settings, at least temporarily set both parameters to Never. See if this results in more consistent operation. I have seen situations where, with DVI-based monitors, hangs can occur coming out of low power states.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I will, but it has never frozen after coming out of sleep states. It has always happened after I have been working on the computer for various lengths of time. Early on, before I was writing everything down, I saw some references to *BIOS* power settings sometimes causing freezes.

Windows possible cause: Win 10 update KB4540673 (KB4541338) on my 1909

Looking thru event viewer I see various errors and warnings (I am not conversant with their meaning or relevance to the freezing):

BITS service (I got HELPMSG2182)

Server did not register with DCOM

App specific permission settings don't grant local activation (tracked one down to the Per App Runtime Broker, whatever that is)

Intel Content Protection HECI svc terminated unexpectedly (probably not relevant)

Upon reboot Network link disconnected (goes to wireless)

Speed of processor 11 limited by firmware

Win can't load sysmain.dll

My research pointed screen freezes having lots of different causes with older NUCs which used a different BIOS:

With two displays, need to disable OS ACPI

Need to change network boot in bios

Bios unstable w Samsung EVO 970 (my drive), use default windows drivers

Reinstall graphics driver, or install graphics driver for CPU instead of NUC graphics driver

Faulty HDMI cable

Make sure Intel Management Engine is installed

After the most recent shutdown, I saved Windows logs and downloaded, ran and saved results from Intel System Support Utility after I determined it was okay to use on my NUC. I will do again at next shutdown too. I have also saved, this morning, DXDiag and DispDiag.

Of course, I would like to see if some setting or such can be tweaked, rather than reinstalling Win 10, having to reinstall programs, reinstall printer, transfer data over. That may not be possible, but I suspect the logs and support utility info might give an idea.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Having gone thru the reliability monitor events closely, I have updated my initial post.

The first freeze was the evening of March 10th. I may have pulled the power because when I tried to shut computer down, it kept rebooting, but I don't think so.,

The evening of March 11th, I installed Office 365, and did Windows Update KB4540673

Overnight, the IntelGraphicsExperience was updated.

On March 12th, I had 5 freezes, one in the morning, the remainder in the afternoon and evening. I did install HR Block tax software just before one freeze, but that is likely coincidental.

At this point, I was no longer installing any new software, but windows updates of various sorts were happening overnight.

Friday 13th - two freezes. None the 14th or 5th, but wasn't really using the PC.

Monday 16th - I removed the second monitor cable in the morning, but I had a freeze early afternoon.

I used the computer a lot, but there were no more freezes until Thursday 19th evening shortly after I ran Intel Driver... and it had me update my BIOS. Two freezes.

The 20th I had a single freeze.

To summarize:

One freeze the evening of the 10th.

After Windows update KB4540673 evening of March 11th, lots of freezes on the 12th.

Another Windows update evening of the 12th. Since then, 6 freezes in 8 days, with 3 coming after a bios update on the 19th, maybe coincidentally.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Try moving the Logitech dongles to the NUC itself and see if this alleviates the hangs. If it does not, I am thinking that you may have a failing piece of hardware - the M.2 NVMe SSD and memory would be the initial culprits to look at.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please run the Intel® System Support Utility to scan your unit and attach the report to this thread.

Wanner G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Scott, I had a freeze with both dongles plugged directly into the NUC. I then removed one dongle, now use a wired keyboard and Logitech Unifying receiver dongle (both plugged directly into the NUC). I have removed the USB hub. I have now gone 4 days without freezes. I am not ready to say it is solved, I went a few days with no freezes the week before, and I used the computer less this week. However, I suspect the dongles or the hub itself were the problem. Neither Logitech nor the hub maker have responded to my support questions.

I thought Logitech would be bulletproof, since they have been around - but my research says they are anything but!

If I go a week with no freezes, then I will add back the USB hub and second monitor and see how that goes.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Thank you for the update.

As soon as you can, please let us know if the issue persists in order to look into it.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Wanner, we were responding at the same time. I did identify a WiFi issue, separate from the freezes and started a thread in the appropriate forum and just downloaded system support files there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That's good to hear. Let us know how it plays out.

BTW, I use Logitech almost exclusively and have never had an issue with them. I avoid using hubs (because of the boot slowdown they represent), but I do have two systems where a hub was necessary and the dongle is plugged into the hub in both cases (without issue). Note also that, in both cases, the hub is powered (was yours?). Also, that non-Unifying dongle is definitely older tech. and could be more prone to issues.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Thank you for letting us know about the other thread. We will try to assist you as soon as possible.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Yes, it is a powered hub and I had a freeze today. I had plugged the hub back in to print something at some point. So...next step is remove hub physically, go into device manager and remove all the USB connections and let them reinstall upon reboot and keep the hub physically disconnected.

I somewhat expected the hub manufacturer to not be responsive, but am surprised that Logitech has failed to respond.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Were you able to confirm if this issue happens with or without the powered hub?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It was with the powered hub (Inland ih3184) plugged in. I have now removed it. I also then deleted all the USB devices in device manager, and rebooted so the drivers would be installed fresh.

In my other thread about a Wireless error (not impacting use since I am using ethernet) I found that Windows must have installed some Intel drivers that were not specific to the NUC. Adrian helped me get the correct drivers installed related to WiFi and Bluetooth. There may be more drivers that are incorrect, as looking through device manager the installed drivers for several are different (and sometimes newer) than the driver number indicated on the NUC10i7FNH download page and I posted such in that thread. Seems awfully confusing that the Intel Driver and Support Asst says the drivers are fine when in fact they are different Intel drivers than indicated on the download page.

This is the other thread, for reference: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004dci2DSAQ/nuc10i7fnh-get-error-messages-about-wifi-6-ax...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Thank you for the update.

Intel recommends that users install drivers customized for Intel® NUCs as there may be generic drivers depending on the component you would like to update.

Downloads for Intel® NUC 10 Performance kit - NUC10i7FNH

If your BIOS, OS, and other drivers are up to date, and the issue persists, what we can recommend is that you contact the vendor of the powered hub to make sure the configuration you are using has been tested / validated.

If you connect the USB devices directly to the Intel® NUC, and these devices work as expected, then this could be a hardware issue.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos