Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC10i7FNH - Random freezes (was Wi-Fi 6 AX201 error initially)

While troubleshooting screen freeze issues on my new NUC, I see the following errors and warning regularly appear in event viewer.

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed. Event ID 5005

The network interface "Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 19 time(s) since it was last initialized. Event ID 10400

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly. Event ID 5002

Intel Driver Asst says I am up to date.

I am not using WiFi, however if I have a problem I wish to fix it. Suggestions?

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated.   

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Questions:

• When did this behavior start? (After Windows* update, BIOS update, Wireless drivers update)
  • Could you please share screenshots of the device manager to see if there is an error code number that we can see?

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you. The first instance of the 5005/5002 Event was on March 9th at 11:51 pm per Event Viewer. Reliability history shows a successful windows update at 11:52 pm the same day.

The update was 9WZDNCRFHWKN-MICROSOFT.WINDOWSSOUNDRECORDER

The BIOS was updated and Wireless driver installed March 4th.

I have attached the SSU report.

What part of device manager would you like to see? Again, I am currently using wired ethernet, but from March 4th until some date I used WiFi (single band, Verizon FiOS device)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I copied screenshots from device manager, but they didn't appear, so I have attached it instead. There are no error codes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Thank you for your reply.

I will recommend you to try a clean installation of the wireless drivers then test the behavior, regarding the device manager screenshots I would like to see the general tap (By clicking Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201) it will show if the device is working properly or if there is an error code that we can check however based on the screenshot it seems that it will report that the device is working properly but if you can share the screenshot it would be good.

Please try the following and test the behavior:

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver for your Intel® NUC 10 Performance kit - NUC10i7FNH Wireless

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth®

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver. 

• Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option).

Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled. 

• Go to Device Manager. 
  • Expand the Network Adapters category. 
  • Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it. 
  • Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device. 
  • Restart your computer. 

Step 3: Driver installation. 

• Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you!

To make sure I understand, I am to uninstall and then reinstall two drivers - one for bluetooth and one for the wireless adapter - the two links in your reply. Is that correct? They have similar numbers - one is 21.50.0 (bluetooth) and the other is 21.50.1 (wireless)

My current installed drivers are 21.70.0.3 (bluteooth) and 21.50.1.1 (wifi) - with the bluetooth driver looking like a later version than what is available via download.

Attached is a device manager screenshot of the wireless adapter and Intel bluetooth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Apparently you can only upload one document. Here is the other.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Thank you for your input.

That is correct, as you did it, it seems that the devices are not reporting errors ''working properly''.

Regarding the Bluetooth driver version installed most likely, Windows* made the update while the Intel® NUC was being restarted since the latest customized driver version for this model is 21.50.0. however, you can test the behavior with this fresh installation of these drivers.

It's recommended to use the customized drivers for your Intel® NUC 10 Performance kit - NUC10i7FNH but you can give it a try with the current drivers nevertheless if you want to install the customized drivers please repeat the process just disconnect the Intel® NUC from internet so Windows* won't install drivers automatically.

Please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Ok, I have successfully done the delete and installations. They show as working correctly in Device Manager and with the proper drivers. You were correct that if connected to the internet windows will install the wrong Intel drivers.

Now I will keep an eye on things and see if the error recurs and report back. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

So far, so good.

This makes me question the entire NUC setup process though. When I setup the NUC, following instructions I updated the BIOS, the WiFi driver and later the ethernet driver. I then used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, which told me I didn't need to update anything else. Yet I clearly had the wrong driver for bluetooth when compared to the download page for NUC10i7FNH drivers.

I just compared (as best I could) the device driver installed, using device manager, to the device driver per the download page.

Correct drivers, indicating those I also downloaded afterwards due to errors or prompting:

Realtek sound - downloaded (problem)

Chipset - downloaded (driver asst)

Wireless Adapter - downloaded, and again due to errors (this thread)

Bluetooth - downloaded due to errors (this thread)

Serial I/O

Appear to be incorrect drivers (installed driver indicated):

Intel Mgmt Engine - 1952.14.0.1470

Ethernet - 12.18.9.10

Graphics - 26.20.100.7755 (only last 4 digits are different - so it may be the correct driver?)

Thunderbolt 3 DCH - (assuming the Thunderbolt controller shown in System devices and software component) 1.41.789.0

Could not locate in Device Manager to compare:

Consumer IR

Thunderbolt 3 Legacy

Aptio Integrator

BIOS

At this point, my question is what do I need to do? Are those the incorrect drivers? Is the Driver Support tool flawed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

I am glad to know that the Intel® NUC is working fine now (So far so good).

Regarding the graphics driver 26.20.100.7755 version, it seems that this version was installed by Windows* which is a generic Intel driver not customized for this model but available for the graphics of your Intel® NUC, the one that is available in our download center for Intel® NUC 10 Performance kit - NUC10i7FNH is 26.20.100.7529.

The Thunderbolt™ 3 driver version should be 64 based on our download center.

Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection Driver for Windows® should be 24.3

The driver for Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC10i7FN, NUC10i5FN, NUC10i3FN

should be 1931.14.0.1323.

It seems that the drivers that are running on your system were installed by the operating system since they are not the ones available for your system model, nevertheless if you do not present issues you can use them but we always recommend using the customized drivers.

I will further investigate this behavior with the drivers being installed, also I will share your feedback regarding Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

So, I have not had any WiFi errors, but I had another freeze. So I thought that upon reboot, I would download and install the correct drivers. I downloaded the following files from the NUC download page for NUC10i7FNH for Win 10 64 bit:

Intel Mgmt Engine 1931.140.0.1323 - installed fine, currently running

Thunderbolt DCH 64 - no application file. How do you install the correct thunderbolt driver?

Graphics DCH 26.20.100.7529 - installation started and said this is the wrong file for my computer and aborted the installation

Consumer Infrared 5.4.4.0 - started the ITE install, then errored out

Ethernet 24.3 - did not attempt install

I run Intel Driver and Support Asst and it says all my drivers are fine, though they do not match the driver numbers on the download page. In the assistant, some things have green check marks and have green "Up to date" buttons while others don't. If I search for the NUC10i7FNH download page it brings up a page with bundled drivers at the top. Searching a different way comes up with a page without the bundled drivers at the top for Win 64 bit. I cannot recall if during initial setup I used the bundled driver file or not.

At this point, I have a computer that freezes randomly once in a while, requiring a hard reboot and have identified that the drivers being run do not match those on the download page. Yet I am unable to install the drivers shown on the download page. What gives? What should I do next?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Regarding your question how to install the thunderbolt driver you will need to follow the next steps stated on our download center Thunderbolt™ 3 DCH Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC, however if are running the version 64 your system has the latest driver.

• Download the driver package and unzip it to a folder on the Intel NUC.
  • Connect a Thunderbolt device to the Thunderbolt port.
  • Uninstall the existing Thunderbolt Software. This should also uninstall the driver.
  • Open the Start menu and click Settings.
  • Select Apps & features.
  • Select Thunderbolt Software and click Uninstall.
  • Open Device Manager by pressing the Windows key + X, and then select Device Manager.
  • You should see an error on a Base System Driver in the Other Devices category.
  • Double-click the Base System Driver and go to the Driver tab.
  • Click the Update Driver button.
  • Browse to and select the folder where you unzipped the driver package.
  • Click Next to install the driver.
  • After the driver installation is complete, close Device Manager.

You'll also need the Thunderbolt Control Center software (available on the Microsoft Store) to approve and manage Thunderbolt devices.

Concerning the installation of the driver version 26.20.100.7529, not sure if you are getting the error that says “This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software or similar’’ if this is the error, most likely it happens because there is a generic driver installed on your system so it’s necessary to perform a clean graphics driver installation on your system.

You might try a clean driver installation: 

• Download the latest driver from our website 26.20.100.7529
  • Disconnect the system from internet access.
  • Go to apps and features ‘’Windows settings’’
  • Look for Intel graphics drivers then uninstall it.
  • The system must go through a restart to complete the uninstall process. 
  • If no older drivers are stored in the system, the graphics controller in device manager should now be listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' or similar. If not, repeat steps above. 
  • Run the graphics driver you downloaded from our website. 
  • Follow the wizard installation of the drivers the computer will ask to be restarted.  

With respect to Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

This is detector tool that will look for available drivers for any system, so the tool can detect that your system is up to date with drivers that do not match with the ones in our download center which are the ones that we have validated and tested for your Intel® NUC 10 Performance kit - NUC10i7FNH but this does not mean that the drivers installed won’t work they can be generic drivers that can be available in our website the Intel components that your system has but the difference is that they are not customized for your system.

As for system freeze.

• Does the system freeze when running an application or just happens randomly?
  • Please test the processor of your system by using the following tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and let us know the result. Once the app is downloaded follow the wizard, the application will be launched and let you know the result of the stress test for the processor either fail or pass.

• Have you run a memtest to your memory to make sure that your memory modules are working fine?
  • If two memory modules are installed, try one at a time.
  • Try different memory if possible.
  • Try a different drive or make sure that your SSD drive is working fine on a different system or by running a diagnostic tool.
  • Make sure your NUC does not present signs of overheating. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you!

I have another thread on the freezes. https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006v1R6/nuc10i7fnh-freezes-randomly-win-10-nuc-multiple-... The short version was after several days of light usage while installing software, files, etc, I began having random screen freezes. A windows update, which had been reported to cause screen freezes, had been done the evening before. However, I also found that older NUCs had some issues causing screen freezes. I have run memtest and scannow and scanhealth and found no problems. As I began reasearching, I found the Wireless error and started this thread.

As part of troubleshooting, I disconnected the second monitor. Instead of freezes every 1-2 hours, freezes still happened, but I could go several days. I have gone a couple of weeks without a second monitor. Last night, I reconnected my second monitor - and today I had freezes about every hour. So thunderbolt may be an issue. I will try the proper install procedure once I get past some quarter end activities. Do I need the Windows Thunderbolt software installed before doing the steps you indicated?

The graphics driver did not give me the generic message you indicated. It said it was the wrong file or driver for my computer.

I will progress through these steps as time permits. It may well be the weekend.

Thanks again and I will follow up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Yes, you can install it before based on our website, The Intel® Thunderbolt™ Control Center may be required to be installed for your Thunderbolt™ port to work properly.

Regarding the freeze, in this case, please continue with the assistance in one thread to avoid duplicate cases and effort, however, I will be glad to get your feedback of the steps suggested.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

An update: I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - all tests passed

I ran memcheck - all fine

I ran memtest86 - 4 passes (6 hours) - no errors (April 1, 2)

I ran memtest86 again -3.5 passes (5 hours, all I had time for) - no errors (April 2)

I installed both thunderbolt and graphics (in that order, April 1); both had issues during installation but I did get them installed. I subsequently (Apr 2) did a clean install of graphics following the process.

Thunderbolt: Deleting the Thunderbolt Software in Apps and Features does not delete the device or driver. I manually deleted them, and (details fuzzy), I had to reboot a couple of times, maybe with internet disconnected, to get an Other category, with Base System error. When I did, I completed the install. However, the driver installed is 1.41.769.0, not 64. Reading the extracted setup information in the download, it says the driver is 1.41.769.0. Either the download has the wrong driver, or (more likely) the download file is named 64, but the driver it installs is 1.41.769.0. I downloaded and installed the Intel Thunderbolt Control Center from the Microsoft Store (this is the same program deleted at the start of the process). It says devices will be approved automatically, and that there are no devices connected. The second monitor is not working as such.

Apr 3, just after midnight, the drivers updated themselves to 1.41.789.0! The two items I can find in Device Manager are in Software Components (Thunderbolt HSA) and Sytem Devices (Thunderbolt Controller). They have no error messages. Likewise the graphics driver updated itself from .7529 to .7755. And my bluetooth driver updated itself to the wrong driver. (I had paused Windows update for 7 days tho I cannot recall when it expired).

Soooo, what now? It appears that even getting the correct drivers installed they update on their own (via Windows update?)

How do I get the correct drivers to not be updated to incorrect drivers days later?

What process should I use for Thunderbolt, if different than outlined, since it did not really work as indicated?

My second monitor worked before, now it is not - suggestions?

The good news is without a 2nd monitor functioning (thunderbolt, 1st is connected via HDMI), I had no freezes today or yesterday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Regarding the automatic Windows* updates it would be good to ask Microsoft* how to stop the automatic updates since that is the way how the operating system works.

With respect to Thunderbolt drivers, I would like to take a look to see what options we have since the one that is on the download center should work.

Just to confirm how is the second monitor connected? is it straight connected without adapters?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks again. Since I posted, I unplugged and plugged in the thunderbolt cable (had done this a number of times before) and the monitor came to life. A few minutes later, I did it again and no monitor. Then again, and monitor! I do not use an adapter to connect - it is a single cable that is Thunderbolt 3 with a USB-C connector at the NUC end and a DVI connector at the monitor end. I realize I will not get the power delivery and other features of Thunderbolt 3; I simply want it to drive the monitor. I have an identical cable I can swap depending upon results below.

A friend has lots of experience and said that besides the cable, the monitor itself could be an issue as it is old, tho it is identified correctly in Device Manager (hardware ID). He has given me a DVI monitor that is known to work with Thunderbolt 3 connections (he used it in his business with a cable similar to mine - Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to DVI).

Here is my plan:

1. I am going to update the drivers to the NUC specific drivers
  2. I have turned off Windows 10 Updating drivers (details below)
  3. I will attach the new monitor
  4. See how it goes and if the drivers remain NUC specific.

There are different ways to turn off driver updates in Windows 10. One is for businesses running groups, another is registry editing that is broad (all devices) or device specific based on hardware ID.

The method I used is well hidden by Windows 10:

Control Panel

• System
    • Advanced System Settings
      • Select the hardware tab
        • Select Device Installation Settings
          • Select No

Thanks for your patience and followup. I will post when there is more to post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DalTex,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate the clarification regarding how the monitor/tv is connected to the Intel® NUC.

My recommendation is to try a straight connection like HDMI to HDMI, in this case, Thunderbolt™ (USB Type C) to Thunderbolt™ (USB Type C) since using a cable type C to DVI it's considered as an adapter also, Intel does not recommend to use of any kind of adapters. This is because we cannot test all of them, so we cannot guarantee that these are going to work.

The best solution is doing a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type in both ends

Sounds good to test a different tv/monitor, if available try doing a direct connection with a single cable.

If not possible try a different high-quality cable Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to DVI even if it's not recommended but it might work.

It's good to know that you found out how to stop the automatic updates.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks again. I am aware that a cable like mine is essentially an adapter and can have issues.

I have updated all the drivers, connected the new monitor and will see how it goes.

FYI, updating the drivers was a challenge, and I have to believe you will have recurring issues with Windows 10 users if newer generic Intel drivers cause problems and my experience installing drivers is the norm. I will go thru each driver I updated. I downloaded and extracted all the drivers needed, then disconnected my computer from the internet, deleted the device drivers via Device Manager, then rebooted the computer. Then:

Wireless - click on the downloaded application and it installed fine

Bluetooth - clicked on the downloaded application and it asked me if I wanted to update from driver X to driver X (exact same driver number). I said yes, and it took me to a screen to choose change, repair, remove. I chose change and clicked thru and it installed the newer generic Intel driver. (Did the prior wireless install perhaps install the bluetooth driver already so when I went into change it looked and found newer?)

Ethernet - clicked on the downloaded application and it completed installation of 12.18.9.17

Graphics - clicked on igxpin application, and got the error message uploaded.

At this point, I stopped and reassessed and looked at each driver installed.

I went into the device mgmt/driver for Bluetooth, and clicked on Update Driver, then browse, then let me pick - and I picked the older device driver that matched the NUC10i7FNH download page and installed it.

For Ethernet, the driver on the download page is 24.3 My two choices were 12.18.9.17 (12/29/19) and 12.18.9.10 (7/25/19). I am unsure which is the preferred driver for the NUC, but I chose the first. Let me know if I should have chosen the older driver.

For graphics, I did as I did for Bluetooth and it installed the .7529 driver, without erroring out.

Phew!

I then connected the new monitor to the thunderbolt port, went into device manager and followed the same procedure I did for bluetooth, ethernet and graphics. I chose the driver 1.41.769.0 dated 11/20/19. I noted that the download was 66, whereas all previous downloads were 64. Let me know if 1.41.769.0 is the correct driver.

Please let me know if those ended up being the correct drivers. I will monitor to see if (aside from working properly) the drivers do not get updated.

0 Kudos