Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11308 Discussions

NUC10i7FNH - Thunderbolt 3 and eGPU issues

Nills
Beginner

The eGPU Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super is attached to the NUC10i7FNH via Thunderbolt 3 - "Razer Core X". Windows 10 x64 v1909. All drivers are updated as of 04/2020, including Nvidia ones.

Issue 1: NUC freezes randomly in low power/idle GPU states - without even BSOD or something, just freezed screen. Many users reported the same issue in other forums. The cure was

• to set "Maximum Performance" in Nvidia 3D settings, and
  • add the TDR registry keys TdrDelay =10 and TdrDdiDelay =20

Issue 2: If working with the active eGPU and then restart, the NUC sees attached Razer Core X, but does not recognize the eGPU in it. Sometimes Device manager & "discover new devices" may help, but not always. I should power off the Razer Core X, then switch on, and only then the eGPU becomes active.

Would be great to have Thunderbolt 3 firmware update for NUC-10s to avoid these annoying issues. Or can I apply the firmware from other NUCs?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Who made the eGPU - Gigabyte?

If so, you may want to read this:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004e0tVVSAY/system-freezes-when-an-egpu-is-connected

Doc

Nills
Beginner

thanks, indeed - have added "Gigabyte" to my post,

I am not sure if "never buy Gigabyte" can be helpful here as this eGPU works perfectly on my other Lenovo laptop, and on my NUC with max power setting on - until I restart as mentioned.

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Nills,

Thank you for posting on this Intel® Community.

First, we would like to confirm some information about your system configuration. 

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Nills
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

answering your questions:

though I am not sure about other BIOS settings like PCIe ASPM Support (is ON) and "Native ACPI OS PCIe Support" (is OFF by default)

IMG_5757.JPG

• "Is the PCI Link Power Management in Windows Power Settings off?" - I don't have power management options available, is that because of the BIOS settings?

Untitled.png

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Nills,

Please allow us to look into this issue.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

DaveB
Beginner

Any updates on this?  I'm also having Thunderbolt 3 issues with the same NUC model and the same eGPU chassis.  I tried updating my BIOS firmware to the latest as of today and it didn't seem to help

MaryT_Intel
Community Manager

Hi @DaveB ,

I'm mentioning @Wanner_G_Intel so he can help you, but you may need to post a new thread. This one is a few months old and they usually get closed so you'll want to submit your own question/thread.

Thanks,

Mary T.

Support Community Manager 

DalTex
Novice

Nills, I have the same NUC and have been having random screen freezes for over a month and have been working to eliminate causes. I have an active thread (started for a different problem) that is my active thread in trying to resolve this issue. https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004dci2DSAQ/nuc10i7fnh-get-error-messages-about-wifi-6-ax...

Research turns up possible low power state issues (and perhaps how they interact with Samsung SSDs) with the suggestion to turn off Intel C states. However, that is on older units and I unsure of how to do so in this new NUC. I use the dedicated graphics, not an eGPU. If you can point me in the right direction (without you spending much time on it), I would appreciate it. I am likewise going to post in the linked thread that the freezes continue.

ADeFr2
Novice

I have the same issue but with Nvidia rtx 2060. ​ Tagging this in case you come up with a solution, likewise I'll update if I find one.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004d3zQ5SAI/nuc10i7fnh-issue-with-thunderbolt3-egpu?langu...