I bought a NUC on Amazon back in May. It's an awesome machine! Unfortunately, the recent W10 update (2004) killed it. After the "update" I could boot up, but no start menu, control panel, explorer etc. From searches it seems I'm not the only one who experienced this.
Frustrating, but OK.... time to load Win 10 from scratch. I have a USB loader.
My NUC came pre-built with 2 drives. The main is 512 m.2 The storage drive is 1T SATA. I removed the 1T, plugged in the USB and powered on.
Dozens of install attempts ended with this message: "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. installation cannot proceed'.
I've tried changing all relevant settings in bias. Also, updated the bios. Version is FN0039.cap
After more searching, I pulled the bios security jumper and tried install again. No luck.
Set bios defaults. No luck. I'm out of ideas. This is clearly over my head. I've emailed the seller on Amazon, no reply.
Any suggestions appreciated. I'm dead in the water and out of ideas.
- I suggest you to reinstall Windows using the following method:
- Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB – 32GB USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. This will install version 2004.
- Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
- With the installation media inserted into rear USB slot, power ON your NUC and repeatably press F10 to get Boot Menu.
- In this menu, choose UEFI option of you Installation media.
- Follow this tutorial to continue with installation.
- In para. 8 you may enter Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought or click on the I don't have a product key and Windows will be reactivated automatically, since it was activated on this computer.
- Skip on para. 13 and continue in para. 14. Important, do not format drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
- Press Next and continue with the installation.