cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC10i7FNH reboots when waking

Jump to solution

I recently purchased the INTEL NUC NUC10i7FNH.  I initially installed Windows 10 1909 with 32 GB of Kingston HyperX 2666 Mhz ram and Western Digital Blue 1 TB NVME drive. 

The issue I am having is that the computer will not recover from sleep and will reboot it self.  I turned off automatic rebooting after system failure in Windows and it will sometimes show the BSOD error of Critical_Process_Died.

At first I thought it may be a driver issue and used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant.  It told me all drivers were up to date.

I made sure all windows updates were applied and that did not fix the error. Windows offered to upgrade me to Windows 10 ver 2004 which I did but that did not fix it.

I disabled the WIFI and removed Skype which helped stop it from waking up as frequently but still it did not fix it.

I then reset Windows 10 using Reset This PC and manually installed all intel drivers with the Internet disabled.  Still no luck.

Frustrated I purchased an Intel 660p 1 TB NVME drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10.  No luck.

I booted Linux Mint 20 from a USB key, it locks up when waking from sleep.

I went back to Windows 10 and force upgraded the Intel UHD graphics driver from 26.20.100.8141 (the default installed by Intel Driver and Support Assistant) to 27.20.100.8336.  Still no luck.

I have run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, scanned the memory with both MemTest86 and the memory tester on the Microsoft Windows 10 boot media.  All passed.

Do I have a defective unit?

If anyone has any ideas before I return this unit it would be a great help.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Novice

I'm not getting an acknowledgement for my findings.  I will summarize here and accept this as the solution.  For more details read the entire thread.

• When installing Windows 10 to an NVME drive, make sure to use S3 Legacy Standby
  • When installing Windows 10 to a SATA drive, or an SATA SSD, you can use either S3 Legacy Standby or Modern Standby.

If these steps are followed, you will avoid the NUC10i7FNH rebooting when it goes to sleep.

CanNuc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

There is still a possibility of a memory issue. No test is perfect. I had memory that passed all test but was still known bad. A test you could try would be to remove one of the sticks and run through a sleep cycle. If it fails, try with the other stick. If that too fails, try using the other slot.

If you think you have a bad unit, you can always try getting it replaced via your POP. If the replacement unit does the same, come back here and discuss it with the Intel CSEs.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

@n_scott_pearson I tried testing the memory one by one in each slot as you suggested.  The problem is still there whether I use both, either SO-DIMM or either slot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Sigh! Ok, I guess you will need to get this unit replaced. As I said, if you can do it via your point of sale, that's the quickest. If you need to have Intel replace it via RMA, read on...

After verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I am not looking to return this unit. I just want it to work.

I have continued more testing in addition to what I have already posted here.

I decided to go into the BIOS and look at the power settings.  The setting for Sleep Type Support was set to Modern Standby. This is what the BIOS was set to on each fresh install of Windows 10 I performed.  Changing this value to S3 Legacy results in a warning that the OS needs to be reinstalled.  I changed it anyway and rebooted back to Windows 10. 

After this change, SLEEP WORKS! 

What I have tested:

• Windows 10 ver 1909
  • Windows 10 ver 2004

Installing with either of those versions on a fresh drive with Modern Standby turned on results in Sleep/Wake crashes and rebooting.

Changing to S3 Legacy from Modern Standby with an existing installation or a new install of Windows 10 results in a stable system that can sleep for more than 24 hours (as I have tested) and can wake up without rebooting and can start from exactly where you left off.

I want to reiterate that I did NOT start with S3 legacy and then change to Modern Standby after installing Windows.  According to a reddit post I found, changing to Modern Standby after Windows has been installed will result in rebooting during sleep wake.  I did not do that but I did switch to S3 Legacy from  Modern Standby which resulted in my system becoming stable.  I can only guess that Windows 10 installer does not detect that Modern Standby is set in the BIOS or the BIOS is not advertising this to the Windows installer.

To summarize, change to S3 Legacy Standby then install Windows 10 on the NUC10i7FNH.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Some additional findings.

Installing Windows 10 on a SATA drive seems to work when installing with Modern Standby turned on in the BIOS.  Installing to an NVME drive will result in the original findings and the purpose of my post. All my previous tests were performed on an NVME drive using two different brands.  The results are as follows:

• SATA
    • Kingston SSD SATA Drive SA400S37/120G - Works with Modern Standby
  • NVME
    • WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVMe (WDS100T2B0C) - Does NOT work with Modern Standby
    • INTEL 660P M.2 1TB PCIE 3.0 x4 (SSDPEKNW010T8X1) - Does NOT work with Modern Standby

All of the above work with S3 Legacy Standby.  They were tested against Windows 10 1909 and 2004.

I would suggest that Intel should look at the above scenarios and test for themselves.  Perhaps others with similar sleep/wake issues are encountering issues because they have a similar setup as mine.

For now I will use S3 Legacy Standby as it seems to be much more reliable than Modern Standby.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I'm not getting an acknowledgement for my findings.  I will summarize here and accept this as the solution.  For more details read the entire thread.

• When installing Windows 10 to an NVME drive, make sure to use S3 Legacy Standby
  • When installing Windows 10 to a SATA drive, or an SATA SSD, you can use either S3 Legacy Standby or Modern Standby.

If these steps are followed, you will avoid the NUC10i7FNH rebooting when it goes to sleep.

CanNuc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos