Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC10i7FNK bricked after changing BIOS settings..

So i just got a brand new NUC10i7FNK.

I wanted to replace my older NUC. I took the SSD (Samsung 960 NVME) and RAM from the old NUC and put it into the new one.

It started but i ran into the first problem. Even though the SSD was recognized and did show up in the drive settings, it was not available as a boot option. So next thing i did was a BIOS update to "0039".

That did work too, but did not solve the boot problem. I found a thread about this and it was suggested to disable the "secure boot" and "modern standby". I did this and it worked. i could boot up my old SSD into windows.

but then i went back into the BIOS and i wanted to check if all these settings were really necessary. i enabled secure boot again and disabled legacy boot, but left UEFI enabled. i saved the settings and restarted, but then it was dead. i get no picture from HDMI. i tried different screens with HDMI 1.2 and 2.0 and HDMI to DVI converter. (i don't have an adapter for the displayport over usb-c yet).

The NUC does power up. The power light comes on and the fan spins. But there is no reaction beyond this. It does not even power the USB ports at this stage. Mouse and Keyboard have no power. Holding the power button until it turns orange does also not help. It does turn orange, but it won't start either. The BIOS security jumper does also not work. I changed it and also removed it, but nothing helps.

The NUC is bricked and i have found no trick to actually revive it. I contaced Intel support on chat but we came to the same conclusion. All the tricks don't help. They advised me to get the unit replaced by the vendor on warranty since it is brand new. Now i am waiting for the RMA and the new unit. But i am a little bit worried, that the new unit will have the same issues. I will try to not brick it, but who knows which setting was actually responsible for the failure.

Under normal circumstances it should not even be possible to brick the unit with a BIOS setting. Or it should at least not be able to brick the recovery mode as well.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Remove the SSD and and see if you can boot into BIOS.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

i already did, i fogot to mention this. i removed the SSD after the NUC got bricked and it dawned on me that this would be a bigger problem.

i removed it to be sure that the data would be safe and not get affected by the problem too.

i also tried another stick or RAM from my laptop, just to be sure.

booting without RAM will still give me the "no memory error". so it does still notice this, but not much more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Disconnect the CR2032 battery from the board for 15 minutes and try again.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Good idea, didn't work. I had to look up some teardown pictures of this unit. the battery itself is located on the other side of the board but it is connected by a small cable and plug to the user accessable side. But disconnecting it to clear the settings did not work either. still does not boot. This is everything I can do. Don't want to void the warranty. RMA is already scheduled. Hope the next unit works better.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Ok, time for an update.

The NUC was replaced by the vendor. They did also confirm that it was indeed bricked .

Now i have finally received the replacement unit and had the time to try it again.

Put in the RAM and the Samsung M2 960 EVO 500GB SSD from the old NUC.

I did not update the BIOS first this time.

Again i was not able to boot from the SSD with the default settings, because it did not show up as a boot option.

I went to the "power options" and then "secondary power options" and set the "sleep type support" to "legacy s3 standby".

Then i could disable the "secure boot". "UEFI boot" and "legacy boot" are both enabled.

Now the Samsung SSD does show up in the boot options.

This time i did not go back after this to change anything else regarding boot options or secure boot.

That is was bricked the other NUC last time.

Only then did i update the BIOS to the latest version using the "intel driver support assistant" under windows.

Reactivate windows, update drivers and the NUC is ready to go.

Maybe this experience will help someone else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

What you are saying is that your NUC is not booting with the Secure Boot enabled? Do you have Windows 10 installed?

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Yes it is windows 10. the ssd was previously installed in a NUC6 skull canyon which unfortunately died. I got the new NUC10 and kept the SSD, no need to setup the whole system. My problem is not that the new NUC10 did simply not boot the SSD, it did not even show up as a boot option at all. Only after I changed the settings like I mentioned before was I able to boot it. I know that this is the point of secure boot, to only boot signed bootloades, and that the NUC most likely checks all drives beforehand and then excludes the ones without signed bootloaders from the list of bootable devices alltogether, but that is not the point of my thread.

I was able to change it and boot the drive. My problem was that I changed one more setting after that in the bios and it immediately bricked the whole NUC. The whole PC was dead and could not be recovered. It should not be possible to destroy the whole PC just by setting one user accessible option in the UEFI/BIOS. All the emergency recovery options did not work after that. Bios reset with the jumper, and even removing the battery did not work. Intel support confirmed that there was no user accessible way to recover this NUC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I agree with you. Changing setting in BIOS shouldn't brick NUC. BIOS recovery should recover corrupted BIOS. You mentioned that you have tried to recover BIOS. Are you aware that since in your NUC a new BIOS wit Aptio V core is installed, there is requirement that in order to update or recover BIOS, the bios file should be located in certain path on USB, otherwise the recovery will fail? For example: D:\EFI\INTEL\FN0039.CAP . BTW, the example in intel's manual showing structure D:\INWHL357.0033.RECOVERY\EFI\INTEL\FN0039.CAP is wrong and will not work.

One thing more, I would prefer to make clean Windows installation for NUC10i7FNK, rather than moving old installation and drivers from other NUC.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

i am aware of the recovery options with the usb. i tried that too, but i have to admit, that i don't remember the exact path i used since this appeared to be a dead end anyway. as described in the first post the NUC did not even power up the usb ports anymore. keyboard, optical mouse and usb stick with an activity led did not light up. can't recover from usb, if there is no power and the NUC does not even access the drive.

the broken NUC was sent to the vendor for replacement a few weeks ago. it is not possible to investigate this further