Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12538 Discussions

NUC11BTMi9 boots to black screen with solid underscore

DavidSchwartz
Novice

I have a new NUC11BTMi9. It was professionally assembled with a graphics card. It was working fine until the Intel updater said there was a BIOS update. I ran the BIOS update.

The update ran normally, apparently to completion, but the system will not boot up after the update. The system powers on and then a black screen appears (HDMI monitor connected to the compute module) with a solid underscore and nothing else.

I've tried everything I can think of. I've removed the graphics card, tried to hold the power button for various numbers of seconds, removed the BIOS security jumper, attached a USB drive with the recovery BIOS, and so on.

Nothing I do makes any difference. I always get the same behavior -- the system powers up and a few seconds later I get a black screen with a thick, solid white underscore. The power light stays on solid white. It doesn't matter what devices are or aren't connected. If I attach a keyboard, it is never initialized, so I can't press any keys.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello DavidSchwartz,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Short video of the issue.
  2. How did you perform the BIOS update?

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

DavidSchwartz
Novice

I tried to shoot a video, but there's nothing to see. Everything is black and all you can see are reflections that go in and out of focus off the black surfaces.

I apply power, the white power light comes on and stays solid. After a few seconds, the screen goes completely black except for a large white underscore (solid) in the upper left corner.

Nothing else happens. No USB devices are ever initialized. No other lights come on.

I just installed the BIOS update from the Intel Windows tool. It rebooted, ran the BIOS updater, and then it died.

VictorMC
Beginner
This is the exact problem I’m having: an upgraded NUC with a Nvidia graphics board by a third party that got bricked by the Intel support BIOS update.
I also started having the issue on the 16th so I’ve had it working only a couple of weeks.
Intel support had me try the recovery boot which didn’t succeed, and the vendor is asking me to return it.
It’s a shame, too, since it was working fine until then.
Makes me wonder if there’s an issue with a third party branded BIOS — the only change I’m aware of is the third party’s name in there.
JosueO_Intel

Hello DavidSchwartz,

Thank you for the information provided, as VictorMC, please try performing a BIOS recovery using the "Security Jumper" method, you can find the instructions on the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033291/intel-nuc.html

Remember to use the latest BIOS available, you can download it from our download center:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/646323/bios-update-dbtgl579.html

Let me know if the issue persists after the recovery. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

DavidSchwartz
Novice

As I said, "I've tried everything I can think of. I've removed the graphics card, tried to hold the power button for various numbers of seconds, removed the BIOS security jumper, attached a USB drive with the recovery BIOS, and so on."

I'll try it one more time to make absolutely sure I followed the process.

JosueO_Intel

Hello DavidSchwartz,

Sure, please let us know the results of the troubleshooting. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

DavidSchwartz
Novice

I tried it. There was no difference. I don't think it's even looking at the USB ports because when I connect a keyboard, I don't see it get initialized.

Is there anything else I can try or is it RMA time? And, if so, should I send it back to Intel or to the system builder?

DeividA_Intel

Hello DavidSchwartz, 

In this case and based on the troubleshooting steps performed, the next step would be to replace the unit. You can replace it with the place of purchase if it was bought 30 days ago or less.

Also, you can get in contact with us directly and check the RMA options. Use the link based on your location:

1. US, Canada: 

2. Europe, Middle East, and Africa: 

3. Asia-Pacific:

4. Latin America: 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.