Intel® NUCs
Assistance in Intel® NUC products
Announcements
All support for Intel® NUC 7 - 13 systems is transitioning to ASUS. Read more.
13507 Discussions

NUC11PAHi3 No Display via AVR

cinemadarkside
Beginner

Hello

I just bought a NUC11PAHi3 which I regret now after seeing all the HDMI issues people posting.

My problem is if I connect the NUC to my LG OLED TV using HDMI cable I get picture and sound but if I connect it to my Denon AVR using same cable I get no signal message and no audio.

I updated BIOS via F7 method to latest and rebooted and same issue then saw the note that says you need to flash it twice so I went back and flashed again.

Same problem.

Anyone fixed this?

Exact same setup worked on NUC6CAYS and NUC11 Essentials but not on NUC11PAHi3.

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MUC
Valued Contributor I

Can you please specify the AVR model and the TV set?

Your (former) devices:

NUC6CAY

NUC11ATK

NUC11PAHi3

Graphics

Intel HD Graphics 500
Gen 9 (Apollo Lake GT1)

Intel UHD Graphics
Gen 11 (Jasper Lake GT1)

Intel UHD Graphics
Gen 12.1 (Tiger Lake GT1)

Ports on the back

1x VGA
1x HDMI 2.0 (via LSPCON MCDP2800)

1x HDMI 2.0b
1x DisplayPort 1.4

1x HDMI 2.0b (via PCON RTD2173)
1x Mini DisplayPort 1.4
1x Thunderbolt 3

The best signal would be delivered by using a Thunderbolt > HDMI 2.1 FRL converter cable:

Product

Connection

Chip Type

Current Firmware

Cable Matters 201362-A

USB-C > HDMI FRL

VMM7100

Firmware Update

This cable contains the Synaptics VMM7100 protocol converter chip. It can provide 4K @ 120Hz HDR 10-Bit Color Depth on HDMI connector side by transforming DisplayPort HBR3 video and audio including Dolby Atmos/DTS:X signaling to HDMI Fixed Rate Link (FRL) 40 Gbps suitable for modern HDMI 2.1 TV sets.

MUC_0-1675191219926.png

I can confirm this also working through an AVR and being backwards compatible to HDMI 2.0 AVRs and TVs. My result with NUC11TNKv7:

MUC_1-1675191219928.jpeg

0 Kudos
cinemadarkside
Beginner

My AVR is a Denon 4700H and TV is a LG C2 OLED.

I will try a thunderbolt to HDMI cable this week but why would the HDMI port not work when using AVR?

Also I get green lines for a sec every now and again when connecting the NUC via HDMI direct to TV.

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor I

Connect the suggested cable to the 8K input of your AVR. If you are using the Denon AVS-3 HDMI switch, then connect the cable there. Finally connect the AVR to the LG C2 using a certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cable.

MUC_2-1675205276302.png

Configure the AVR's signal format to "8K Enhanced". 

See also user manual for further details. In addition, it also may be good to check, if Denon has a firmware update for your AVR.

MUC_1-1675204938236.png

If in doubt, you can of course request RMA at your retailer to replace the NUC. However, it is not certain that the NUC's HDMI 2.0b port operated by the PCON will work better with a new device. My NUC11TNKv7 also had issues with the native HDMI port with the same PCON. You can read about it here.

The solution with the converter cable should enable your NUC and signal chain to the best possible, which is 4K 120 Hz 10-bit HDR (40 Gbps). Also consider getting the "Dolby Access" and/or "DTS Sound Unbound" app from the Microsoft Store for the best possible audio signal. The cable supports Dolby Atmos/DTS:X.

0 Kudos
cinemadarkside
Beginner

NUC11PAKi3 does not support 4k 120hz so using 8k input wont make a difference.

My AVR is already set to 8k enhanced.

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor I

Using the converter cable Thunderbolt > HDMI FRL does support 4K 120 Hz. DisplayPort 1.4 is tunnelled through Thunderbolt and converted by the Synaptics VMM7100 in HDMI 2.1 FRL. You must use the 8K input on AVR because only this input supports FRL. Setting the AVR's signal format to "8K Enhanced" allows the AVR to tell its link partner transmitter (VMM7100 in the cable > your NUC) what parameters to use. And so it will establish an appropriate connection. This is called "link training".

MUC_6-1675276845764.png

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/intel-nuc/NUC11PA_TechProdSpec.pdf

MUC_1-1675275006138.png

MUC_0-1675274528689.png

DisplayPort 1.4 PHY (Physical Layer) in Intel 11th Gen Graphics can drive one display with the suggested cable:

8K @ 60 Hz YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bpc (FRL4, 32 Gbps)

OR

4K @ 120 Hz RGB 4:4:4 10 bpc HDR  (FRL5, 40 Gbps)

I tested this myself with my NUC 11:

MUC_3-1675275662741.png

MUC_4-1675275724301.png

Details here.

Just try it. You can always return the cable if you are not satisfied.

0 Kudos
cinemadarkside
Beginner

I used a thunderbolt 3 to hdmi cable and same issue no signal via AVR

Only mini displayport I can get signal on my AVR, both Thunderbolt and HDMI do not work

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor I

Could you specify all the cables you tried?

0 Kudos
cinemadarkside
Beginner

HDMI to HDMI = No Signal

Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI = No Signal

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI = Works

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor I

Please post the cable manufacturers and the part numbers.

This is important because cables (and docking stations) with built-in chips do have range from "scrap" to "high end" depending on the manufacturer.

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor I

The HDMI cable should work. It's cheap, but that doesn't automatically indicate that it is not good. It remains a mystery why the native HDMI port driven by the PCON on board of NUC 11 is causing troubles as it is the case with my device too. And I used an HDMI cable from AudioQuest that cost $99.

The UGREEN USB-C to HDMI cable is working with TMDS (signaling for HDMI 2.0) and should be good for 4K @ 60 Hz at any port of your AVR. Unfortunately, I don't know about the chip inside. But no hint why you have problems with it. Did you check, if you are up to date with the Denon firmware? The Denon AVR-X4700H operates a combination of HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 chipsets and it's known that this may cause issues with some source devices.

The Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is labeled 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz. One has to assume that it corresponds to DisplayPort version 1.2 (HBR2), but I can't prove that. It also transmits TMDS.

To unlock the true potential of your impressive AVR and your great LG TV you should give the signal transmission with HDMI 2.1 Fixed Rate Link a chance. It doesn't have to be a product from Cable Matters as suggested above. You can also use another brand. The NUC cannot provide FRL natively, so an adapter solution is needed that can convert DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3 signaling to HDMI 2.1 FRL. Products that I have successfully tested myself (all with Synaptics chips):

Product

Connection

Chip Type

Current Firmware

Club 3D CAC-1587

USB-C > HDMI FRL

VMM7100

support@club-3d.com

Club 3D CAC-1586

USB-C > HDMI FRL socket

VMM7100

support@club-3d.com

Cable Matters 201362-A

USB-C > HDMI FRL

VMM7100

Firmware Update

Cable Matters 101109-BLK

Mini DisplayPort > HDMI FRL

VMM6100

Firmware Update

Please note that these products, that enable 4K @ 120 Hz, may arrive with older firmware than mentioned. If it is not working correctly, a firmware update can be done through Microsoft Windows when the product is plugged. Cable Matters provide updates on their website. This would be the easiest way. When I asked Club 3D for a firmware update it took a few days until they responded to the E-Mail request.

Please report if you were successful.

0 Kudos
cinemadarkside
Beginner
I paid over 300 for this so HDMI should work. It's not my avr as nuc 11 essential also works fine. My nuc is used for media playback so having 120hz is not what I'm looking for and I don't think I should ignore HDMI port not working. It's HDMI 2.0 port on nuc so it should work without issues. The dell adapter is only one that actually works even tho it's not 120hz so that part is irrelevant. I'm trying to solve the HDMI issue not find workaround as this is a brand new nuc and all port's should work
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

cinemadarkside, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

For this scenario and seeing the previous information shown on this thread, it seems this could be a compatibility problem between your AVR, the Intel® NUC, and the TV since the unit works fine when you connect it directly to the TV.  

Based on that and taking into consideration that you just purchased the Intel® NUC, what we recommend as the next step, will be to get in contact directly with the place of purchase and check their warranty policy, most of the time they have a 30-day policy, for a replacement or refund.

Or, you can also get in contact directly with Intel® Support through any of our support channels to claim the warranty on the Intel® NUC. If necessary, you can always make a reference to this thread, keeping in mind that once you received the replacement unit, if the problem persists, then it will be considered a compatibility issue between the parts:

Chat support:

http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_processor_ww_english_Chat

For phone support, depending on your location, you will see the contact information on the links below:

EMEA contact information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html

APAC contact information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html

LAR contact information: https://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html

North America: Phone Number 1-916-377-7000, Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time).

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
jonwolds
Beginner

Hi, just to let you know that I feel your pain with this one. Over the last year I've been through exactly the same steps with my NUC11PAHi5 and Denon x3700 and was only ever able to kind of get it to work over mini Display Port. Everything else I connect to the Denon (Nvidia shield, other pc's etc.) just work. I only bought the NUC to act as a media centre and it's completely failed at that job. The NUC also doesn't S3 sleep properly but that's another story. 

Intel know this is a general issue with NUC11s so should stop wasting peoples time with buying/returning cables, bios flashing etc.

If Intel are still following this thread - what we really needed you guys to do, after our many wasted hours of troubleshooting is just say "we'll arrange collection for your NUC 11 and we'll replace it with a model that works with Denon Amps (i.e. like pretty much all other equipment in the world). They didn't do that so I'm stuck with this cr@ppy NUC11PAHi5 and regular cable re-plugging.

Since starting out with a Spectrum ZX80 about 40 years ago, the NUC11PAHi5 is easily the worst computer I've ever owned.

0 Kudos