Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products

NUC11PAHi5

Fmoon
Beginner

Trying to get this NUC11PAHi5 to boot from a SATA HDD/SSD.  But UEFI BIOS does not list a SATA drive as a boot option.  Does anyone know the correct UFEI configuration to do this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Do you have an OS that is installed in UEFI mode on the HDD/SSD?  To see it as a boot option, an OS needs to be installed.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

Fmoon
Beginner

Hi AlHill, yes there is an OS installed on the SATA drive.  I confirmed by booting up a Gigabyte desktop using the same drive.  I have 3 SATA drives I have tried and all are not detected in the boot priority.  The OSs I am trying to boot are Ubuntu 16, 18 and Windows 10.  I am checking down rev versions of the UEFI BIOS documentation to see if older BIOS might work.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Fmoon 

1. When I look at Table 12, page 32 in the Technical Product Specification, I don't find there SATA lines. However, you have SATA support for the 2.5" drive (see page 30 and para.4.3.5 in the TPS)

2. If you will check the Intel Validated Product list for your NUC, you will not find there any M.2 SATA drive either. Only M.2 PCIe drive are listed.

3. My conclusion is that if you want to boot from SATA drive, you may use only 2.5" drive.

Leon