Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

NUC11PAHi7000 USB wireless keyboard and mouse are very laggy

ksnortum
Beginner

Hi.  I just purchased a NUC11PAHi7000 and I'm very happy with it, except that the wireless USB keyboard and mouse are intermittently laggy -- the keyboard worse than the mouse.  The keyboard will work for a few minutes, then become unresponsive.  The mouse will work for a few minutes, then become very laggy.

What I've done:

I've changed keyboard and mouse and the problem stays with the NUC.  I've updated the BIOS to the latest version.  I've replaced batteries.  I've powered down and back up, both the NUC and the keyboard and mouse.

Specs:

NUC model: SWNUC11PAHi7000

NUC serial number:  G6PA14100JBT

Logitech Keyboard P/N: 820-008359

Logitech Mouse P/N: 810-006906

Current BIOS: PATGL357.0042.2021.1213.1702

Chip: Intel 11th gen, i7-1165G7

Memory: 32GB

SSD: 1T

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @ksnortum 

Instead of plugging the Wireless Receiver directly into USB port, try locate it in a distance from the NUC, using a USB extender cable (like this one for example).

Leon

View solution in original post

6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. Select *all* data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this text file to the response post.

...S

megan3000
Valued Contributor I

The previous link is for Windows OS... however, it also has a reference link for Linux... you said you're running Ubuntu (not sure if only Ubuntu or dual boot with windows...)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-li...?

quick questions:

1. how far are you using keyboard and mouse from the NUC? Those wireless devices usually have short (poor) range...

2- do you have other USB devices plugged to the adjacent USB port where the wireless receiver is connected? I had similar problem with a Mini HP PC where I was using the receiver on a USB port and next to it, there was a USB HDD drive on the other USB port... this was on the front USB ports and it turn out this was causing interference on the USB ports... plugging the USB drive on the back panel made the problem go away...

3- Usually, those wireless receivers work on the 2.4GHz band, is there any other device or appliance that also work or emit/broadcast signals in this band that may cause interference?

ksnortum
Beginner

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.  I've been working on getting what you asked for.  The utility wants to use the package "smartmontools" which I couldn't find.  I've attached the text file that was produced.

To answer your questions:

1) The keyboard and mouse aren't far away and placing them right next to the computer didn't change anything.

2) No other USB devices are connected.

3) It seems that my Google WiFi (router) sometimes uses the 2.4 GHz band.  I don't have a way to control that.  That could be the problem.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @ksnortum 

Instead of plugging the Wireless Receiver directly into USB port, try locate it in a distance from the NUC, using a USB extender cable (like this one for example).

Leon

ksnortum
Beginner

I have been using a one-foot USB extension cord for a few days and I've only have one laggy moment.  I'm not sure why this should work -- a design flaw in the NUC?  My Google WiFi working on 2.4 GHz could also be a problem.

LeonWaksman
Super User

The impact of USB 3.0 Radio Interference on 2.4 GHz  is very known problem. Please read the Intel White Paper and the Logitech Wireless product not working properly when also using a USB 3.0 device. I have my Logitech Unified Receiver connected on USB HUB.

Leon