12508 Discussions

NUC11PAQi70QA wake on LAN issues

solveit
Beginner

Hello,

Wake on LAN on NUC11PAQi70QA is buggy.

Windows 10

Wired ethernet only (wifi disabled)

Drivers and software are up to date. (includes BIOS 0042)

If the NUC is sleeping (from inactivity or manually from start menu) it will appear to wake up and is pingable within a second after receiving a magic packet. It will go right back to sleep approximately 40 seconds later.

If someone goes to the other room and starts moving the NUC's mouse during the 40s window, it will stay awake for as long as the mouse is moved and will sleep 5 minutes after the mouse moving ceased even though the NUC is then streaming HD video from a USB tuner to a client over the LAN. The "sleep after" in Windows is set to 5 minutes of inactivity for testing but the same problem was discovered previously with "sleep after" at 30 minutes.

If the NUC is set to sleep "never" and then shut down, it can be woken up (much more slowly than from sleep) remotely and used by a LAN client for as long as required. It unfortunately stays awake forever however.

It seems even pushing the "breathing" power button produces the same barely awake state for 40s if the mouse isn't touched.

Any tips/solutions greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

solveit, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

When did you purchase it? (For Warranty Purposes)

Was the Intel® NUC working fine before without this Wake On LAN problem?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

solveit
Beginner

Hi,

The NUC is brand spanking new. Search 6441032 on costco.ca.

One of the 14 reviews says: "Windows 11 up and running ... I was setting the NUC up as a replacement for an AIO desktop, the system would fail to come out of sleep mode ... . As I was unable to resolve the "power management issues", I am returning the unit to Costco".

It seems it's a known problem but my nickname is solveit so I'd rather not return it.

Since the NUC will be used as an HTPC (H=home), I immediately installed NextPVR, VLC and configured it to hibernate when idle (disabled BitLocker and declined Win11 upgrade, disabled wifi). This wasn't working so I tried sleep instead of hibernate because of this thread but still not better.

Resetting BIOS to defaults didn't help (tried a few power related bios settings). I have been using an HTPC with idle hibernation since Windows XP so I expected this NUC to be able to handle it.

SSU report attached.

The system runs fine as long as "Sleep after" and "Hibernate after" are set to "Never" in "Power and sleep".

Cheers.

Alberto_R_Intel

solveit, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello solveit, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this case, for testing purposes, we just wanted to confirm if you can please test 30.0.101.1069, following the instructions in the links below, and once you get the chance let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/685037/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.htm...

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Regards,

Albert R.

solveit
Beginner

Hi,

I have upgraded the graphics driver to 30.0.101.1069 as instructed. The device manager and the Intel Driver & Support Assistant both show version 30.0.101.1069 after rebooting.

Changed "Sleep after" from "Never" to 5 min then tried WOL from two different systems while pinging from a 4th system.

Packets: Sent = 42, Received = 34, Lost = 8 (19% loss),

Packets: Sent = 60, Received = 35, Lost = 25 (41% loss),

The wake up period only lasted long enough to receive 34 and 35 packets.

Even tried once using the NUC's power button instead of WOL and it only woke up long enough to get 36 packets.

Packets: Sent = 52, Received = 36, Lost = 16 (30% loss),

Maybe irrelevant but the LAN adapter uses a manually assigned IPV4 address (no IPV6 or DHCP).

In conclusion: no observable change/improvement.

I will be keeping graphics driver 30.0.101.1069 unless instructed otherwise as it's newer than what the Intel Driver & Support Assistant considered up to date.

Thanks for working on fixing this.

solveit
Beginner

Installing 30.0.101.1069 made no visible difference to the inability to fully wake from sleep. Did not try hibernation.

Note that waking from sleep with a magic packet gives the same result as waking from sleep with the power button. The NUC stays awake for around 40 seconds.

Maybe irrelevant but the LAN adapter uses a manually assigned IPV4 address (no DHCP or IPV6).

Keeping 30.0.101.1069 unless instructed otherwise as it's newer than what the Intel Driver & Support Assistant provided.

solveit
Beginner

Windows update has automatically downgraded the graphics driver back to the default version. This seems to be a known problem according to this thread.

Alberto_R_Intel

solveit, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

We will continue with our research on this matter, as soon as I get more information I will post all the updates on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

solveit
Beginner

The i5 version of this product on costco.ca also has a review "... power management issues. My unit will randomly refuse to come out of sleep or hibernate...".

As an HTPC, sleep/hibernate is central to the intended workflow. Unless a solution pops up extremely soon, I'll reluctantly be forced to return the NUC while the return window is still open. Looking at "unreliable" Chinese mini PC's now.

For anyone who's PC is always on, this i7 NUC is still a nice product.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello solveit, I just received an update on this matter.

We just wanted to provide the normal WOL behavior, see below:

WOL from S5 state:

1. Ctrl + Alt + Del => Shut down
  2. Send magic packet via NirSoft WOL tool [https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wake_on_lan.html]
  3. The system wakes up, monitor wakes up.

WOL from S3 state:

1. Ctrl + Alt + Del => Sleep
  2. Send magic packet via NirSoft WOL tool [https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wake_on_lan.html]
  3. The system wakes up (HDD activity LED is active, Power Button LED is solid blue), the monitor continues to be in sleep state.

While we are still wotking on this matter, we just wanted to confirm:

You mentioned that the system wakes up, stays up for 40 seconds, and then it goes back to sleep. 

-Does it mean the NUC and the monitor wake up for the 40s and then it goes back to sleep?

-Just to make sure we want to understand, if the NUC remains on for only 40s or if it is only the monitor getting into sleep?

-Did you check the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) settings? Use POWERCFG command to trouble and please provide a report by running /SYSTEMSLEEPDIAGNOSTICS, marking down when the system stayed up for 40s only. 

Regards,

Albert R.

solveit
Beginner

The WOL from S5 works fine but is very slow as expected so not appropriate for my use case. Also getting Windows to shutdown on idle isn't as straightforward as sleeping on idle.

The WOL from S3 is the one with the 40s problem. The remote client system is playing a video stream served by the just awakened NUC and playback freezes after 40s (slow blinking blue power). Every additional WOL will buy an additional 40s of playback. Many WOL utilities were tried including  Nirsoft's and it made no difference who sends the magic packet.

Sorry I cannot perform any additional testing as a refund was requested, the NUC wiped and repackaged, a review left on costco.ca. Both the i5 and i7 NUC11 have coincidentally disappeared from costco.ca after my review.

Thanks for the assistance.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello solveit, Thank you very much for your response.

Thank you also for letting us know those details, we completely understand the fact that a refund was requested for the Intel® NUC as we are currently working on trying to fix this problem.

It is important to mention that the feedback provided by all of our clients is very important to Intel®. So, I will send your comments to the proper department for them to be aware of your remarks in order to continue improving the customer's experience while using Intel® products.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

solveit
Beginner

Here's a non-technical customer experience account:

• Bought this NUC11 from costco.ca for an HTPC.
  • Tried my best to make it work but the power mangement issues make it unusable in my workflow
  • Asked costco.ca for a refund and they withdrew the NUCs
  • Ordered a mini PC from a smaller supplier (still has an intel CPU)
  • Got an email today saying unexpected six week delay due to supply issues

Result:

I have paid for two mini PC's and won't have a working HTPC for at least six weeks. (yes costco.ca will process my refund in a few weeks)

If costco.ca gave me a 6 month return window, I'd be happy to help intel engineers fix this with all the diagnostic data they request.

Alberto_R_Intel

solveit, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

We are sorry to hear the customer had so many inconveniences while trying to use our Intel® NUC. For that reason, I will also add the customer's experience you described to your previous comments in order to send them to the proper department so they can be aware of this situation as well.

Regarding the "6 month return window", they have their own warranty procedure/policy so it will be up to them if they can approve the customer's request. From our side, it is important to mention, that the Intel® NUC has a 3-year warranty period from the date of purchase, just in case, the customer at some point needs to use it.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.