Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

NUC11PHBi7 does not wake from sleep

toddbud
Novice

Right after the computer enters sleep it starts producing the following error every minute or so:

USB device draining system power when system is idle.

USB Device: VID: 0x46D PID: 0x85E REV: 0x317
Removal action failed: SkippedAsRecentIoObservered

It does this for a few hours, then the logging stops.  When I go to turn on the NUC in the morning the power button and skull are flashing at1 second intervals simultaneously.  Moving  the mouse or keyboard will not wake the NUC.  Pressing the power button will not wake.  Turning on the USB scanner does not wake.  I am forced to "long press" the power button and hard reboot.

This problem started the same day I updated Windows to the January 2021 update (1st 2).

I have turned off powered USB in BIOS

I have reinstalled windows 11

The same thing is happening.

I have a USB scanner (which is powered off) and a USB web camera plugged in to regular USB ports.  The full-time power to the one port that supports it is turned off in the BIOS and nothing is attached to that port.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
toddbud
Novice

UPDATE:  after reinstalling Windows 11 on MS's advice the problem has now changed:  the PC shuts down instead of entering sleep.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @toddbud

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- Checking the Windows versions based on the "marketing name" (e.g. using this third-party link* for Windows* 10 or this link* for Windows* 11), we don't see any regarding "January 2021 update". Could you please confirm what Windows major update triggered the issue referencing the "Version/Codename" or the "Build" number?

2- Are you using regular USB Mouse & Keyboard connected straight-through connection? Are you using any USB HUB? Or are they wireless devices?

3- Do you have a monitor connected that also includes a USB HUB on it?

4- When you said "the problem has now changed: the PC shuts down instead of entering sleep." What are the power and sleep settings configured on Windows*?

5- Could you please share screenshots or a short video showing the error message and behavior?

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

toddbud
Novice
Hey Andrew:

Thank you for your help on this issue.  Here is the information you requested. 

1 - Updates installed on NUC on January 11 according to the Windows Update > Update History on the NUC11: 

a) 2022-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5009566)
b) 2022-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 for x64 (KB5008880)

2 - I use a wireless Bluetooth mouse

3 - Ding! Ding! Ding! I use a Samsung C34J79x connected to the NUC11 solely through HDMI to the onboard NVIDIA GEForce RTX 2060 @ 59.97 Hz.  This monitor has built-in USB connections.  I use the thunderbolt port on the monitor to power my laptop.  Again, the monitor is connected to the NUC only through HDMI.

4 - Originally, I would return to my PC in the mornings to find the skull and power button flashing at about 1-second intervals, sometimes the fan would be on.  When I would try to wake the NUC by moving the mouse or touching the keyboard, nothing would happen.  The only option I had was to hard reboot (holding power down forever until the unit shut down and the skull and power button turned off).  

After reinstalling Windows 11, I found the NUC powered down in the morning.  That happened once.  I had to hard reboot yesterday, but this morning I was able to wake with the mouse.  I continue to monitor the situation: the USB error mentioned is still happening every minute or so for 6 to 8 hours beginning approximately when PC enters sleep mode.

5 -  I will video the NUC next time it is frozen, but what I see is no indicator lights on except the skull and power button which are flashing at approximately 1-second intervals.  After hard rebooting, I check the admin logs in windows and get this error:

unnamed.png

and as you can see it occurs a lot:

unnamed.png

this went on until 4:58AM.  I was able to wake from sleep, however, today.

Finally, I uninstalled Oculus yesterday and it began throwing these weird "OculusVadApoEventTrace" errors. I tried the Oculus with the PC and since I only have a wireless internet connection it didn't work well. The Oculus used the front USB-C as a connection, so maybe that has something to do with the USB errors.  I uninstalled the desktop streaming software that allows you to run Windows through the PC on Oculus today.  I will check tomorrow morning to see if this has had any effect.

6 - I have attached the diagnostic file for your review.

I will update you if there are any changes.  Good luck!

Regards,

Todd
toddbud
Novice

Things have stabilized.  No USB errors last night and woke from sleep normally.  The only issue is the webcam disconnects overnight so no facial login.  Today I will go back into device manager and allow the PC to manage the power of the USB hubs and see what happens on Monday morning.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello toddbud

Thank you for your response and for all the details. We are glad to know that there are no more USB errors and the system woke from sleep normally.

We understand you will try something on Device Manager regarding a disconnection issue with a webcam. We will let you monitor the behavior and we'll be waiting for any additional feedback.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello toddbud

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

toddbud
Novice

I tracked the USB error to the USB webcam.  I uninstalled the software and reinstalled clean and the errors stopped.  Thought my problem was over, but it turns out that there was also an issue with the graphics card.  I noticed that the NUC was now waking up with no problem (I could see the disc and activity indicators working), but there was no signal coming to the monitor (I tried 2 monitors and 2 HDMI cables).  I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics card drivers and now things are working properly. 

I am pretty sure the whole issue had to do with the latest windows update and drivers.  I run my Dell laptop side-by-side with my NUC (I use software to share keyboard and mouse over wifi).  The Dell laptop also started throwing USB errors around the same time.  Traced to the dongle for a Teams certified Bluetooth headset.  Fixed when I clean installed the drivers and software.

Thanks.  All good now!

AndrewG_Intel

Hello toddbud

We are glad to know that everything is good now.

Thank you for your response and for taking the time to share this feedback on how you solved these issues. Hopefully, this may help other users experiencing similar behaviors.

Since the problems are solved and all good now, we will proceed to close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.