Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12537 Discussions

NUC11PHKi7CAA overheating.

svihy
Beginner

Hello,
I have a NUC11PHKi7CAA with WIN. 11 and I have a problem with overheating in standby. Is there any way to solve it ? Will reinstalling to WIN 10 help? The temperature is up to 80 degrees.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello svihy,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® NUC 11 Enthusiast Mini PC - NUC11PHKi7CAA.

In this case, before we continue further, please let me know if this issue and product are the same as in this thread:

I will be waiting for your confirmation.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

svihy
Beginner

Hello,
the problem doesn't match the thread. I did a clean install of Win. 11 and I am getting this error. In sleep mode the PC overheats and the fans are not running. They only turn on when the PC wakes up. I tried installing an older video card driver. But the problem still occurs. I am currently shutting down the PC.

DeividA_Intel

Hello svihy, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Since this issue is not the same as the other thread, I would appreciate it if you provide the following details:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. When did the issue start?

3. What is the error that you are getting? Can you take a picture

4. How do you know that the unit is overheated on sleep mode? What temperatures are reaching?

5. Can you take a picture where we can see the temperatures that the unit is getting?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

svihy
Beginner

It shows no error. If the PC goes into sleep mode, the fans stop spinning. Overnight, the temperature is 80 degrees. When the PC is turned on, the fans run at full speed. Details are attached.

SkullTrail
New Contributor I

This is a known problem. Two apps are known to be culprits. The Intel NUC Software Studio App and the Internal GFX driver. Here are some solutions.

1. Uninstall Intel NUC Software Studio app. This will not, however, uninstall the Intel Software Studio Service. Run the "Services" app through Windows search. Scroll down, right click on the service (Intel NUC Software Studio Service) and click stop. Double click the service and select "Disabled" on Start up. Press apply. Note. From time to time, the service will restart. You will have to do this again.
  2. Optional depending on driver revision. Go into the Device Management and select "Display adapters" > "Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics". Right click > Disable.

The problem lies with Modern Standby. Sleep as it was once known was replaced with Modern Standby in Windows. In a nutshell, unlike Sleep, in Modern Standby, the computer is not off. The Intel NUC Software Studio app wrecks havoc with the NUC in Modern Standby.

Note: Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 10, 11 etc. will make no difference. Don't waste your time or SSD writes. The problem lies with these apps.

DeividA_Intel

Hello svihy, 

Thanks for the report and the info provided. Before we continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Have you tried BIOS recovery?

2. Have you tried to change the fan settings at the BIOS?

3. Is the BIOS in default settings?

4. Can you send any picture where we can see the temperatures reached by the NUC?

Also, by any chance were you able to try the recommendation from SkullTrail?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

svihy
Beginner

I've tried all the points, including the recommendations from SkullTrail. But it's the same. The fans don't spin in standby mode. And the PC is hot. The only thing that has partially helped is disable Modern Standby. I wasn't expecting such problems.

DeividA_Intel

Hello svihy, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello svihy, 

Thanks for your patience. Before we continue further, can you try the following one more time as a test?

1. Try different fan control settings in BIOS:

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Cooling.
  3. In the CPU Fan Header pane, experiment with setting Fan Control Mode to Balanced and Cool.
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

2. Check the fan RPM in BIOS: 

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Cooling > Performance Monitoring.
  3. Press F10 to exit BIOS

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

svihy
Beginner

I have a question. How is the fan setting in BIOS related to the fact that my PC overheats in standby when they are off and not spinning.

itsme
New Contributor I

I've observed  3 issues so far

1. system is in  'modern standby mode' and  system is hot and fans are blowing at maximum.  There is no way to recover from this. it's impossible to wake the system. Power button will restart system instantly
  2. system is in 'modern standby mode' but something is keeping it active, and you can feel the system getting warmer slowly. It's still possible to wake the system
  3. system initiates modern standby mode after configured timeout, but it crashes and reboots  instead

get a system power report  with 'powercfg.exe /sleepstudy'  and load the report file in a browser.
Look at the DRIPS histogram,  it should report  long times spent in DRIPS. see attached pictures.

I hope that I  have solved  point 2 and probably 1  by removing the Samsung NVME driver, that kept the SSDs  active, but my guess is that the intel video driver  installed by Windows Update  is the way to go for the Phantom Canyon.

here's what I did:
1. disconnect system from internet ( i.e. disconnect LAN cable or disable WiFi interface )
2. remove Intel IGPU in device manager and select  remove driver  ( do not reboot)

3. scan for HW changes in device manager  and repeat step 2  if  there is still a Intel iGPU available until only a microsoft adapter is available
4. re-establish internet connectivity  and let WU  install the current driver  (version 1660 )

5. reboot

WIth these changes MY  system so far kept cool and the system power reports do look much better than before.

For now I didn't let the system  transition into modern standby by itself.

today I also updated to the new released BIOS version which should have additional fixes for modern standby mode

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19729/bios-update-phtgl579.html

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

That's a good question! Here's my attempt at answering...

Since the Modern Standby 'state' (perhaps the wrong word) is perceived to be a low power state, power is withdrawn from many devices - including the blowers. The problem is that it is NOT actually sleeping, certain O/S capabilities and even application support tasks (email reception, for example) may still be running. If these cause the processor to reach high temperatures, the blowers should be turned back on, but they are not.

I do not know if the hardware design (power rail management, for example) precludes this occurring, but the ACPI support in the BIOS and the EC firmware should be handling this state management and properly reacting - but this doesn't seem to be the case.

...S

svihy
Beginner

Thank you for your reply. I've tried everything. Hopefully the new BIOS will solve it. Although it should be monitored to prevent overheating.

itsme
New Contributor I

@n_scott_pearson  wrote:

The problem is that it is NOT actually sleeping, certain O/S capabilities and even application support tasks (email reception, for example) may still be running. If these cause the processor to reach high temperatures, the blowers should be turned back on, but they are not.

Yes,   SOC remains in S0  but can reach very low powerstates/energy levels,  similar to  S3, when almost all devices can be suspended.

with the previous BIOS 0065  the Samsung NVME driver  was not able to suspend both SSDs. 

Switching back to the MS NVME driver allowed the system to maintain the very low power consumption/state for extended periods of time.  The system had normal room temp like  switched off.

It seems that Intel have introduced in BIOS 0068 a new issue with the PCI-E Port for the onboard i225 LAN controller, because now this is the TOP offender in every sleepstudy report. It's  active  for 100% during sleep state .  Of course system can't reach the low power states ( histograms show no DRIPS) and it wastes energy in form of heat.  Do I need to mention that the system is configured to 'Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected'?

I've never had such an unreliable system. I'm almost done with this thing.  

S3 is not reliable ( crashes many times when resumed )  and the S0lx  Modern Standby  is a joke in its current form. It may work with ARM SOCs but not with the Wintel ecosystem.

there is a fitting proverb in German:    "Bananenprodukt, reift beim Kunden"   
loosely  translated as  'banana product, ripens at the customer'   ~  the product is delivered  as beta version/unfinished product. 

DeividA_Intel

Hello svihy, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on the steps performed so far, I recommend you to check with us directly to check the RMA options that we have for you. You can use this thread as a reference.

Use the link based on your location:

1. US, Canada: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@11 

2. Europe, Middle East, and Africa: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html 

3. Asia-Pacific: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/apac-contact.html 

4. Latin America: https://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/support/contact-support/lar-contact.html 

Regards,  

Deivid A.