Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12536 Discussions

NUC11PHi7 has Issues with USB v3.2 Flash Drives?

Rew452
Novice

I have now tried 3 different ADATA USB v 3.2 Flash drives, marked UV128 that after inserting on the front USB port that after a few seconds Windows Explorer reports

"USB Device not recognized, The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

I have tried 2 64gb drives and a 1 32gb all are new and work fine in another computer.

What is going on?

Anyone have a fix for this?

Rew

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Rew452
Novice

More info,

Here is my current list of my current USB Drivers:

Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub
Date 7/3/2021
V 10.0.22000.65

Intel USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller
Date 1/18/2022
V 10.0.22000.469

USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
Date 7/3/2021
V 10.0.22000.65

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with your Intel® NUC 11 Performance kit - NUC11PAHi7.

I would like to let you know that your ADATA USB flash drives do not appear in the compatible list of this NUC (https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?EPMID=205073). However, in order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Have you made any changes to the BIOS?

3. Have you checked the optional updates at the Windows update option?

4. Is the issue present out of the box or did they work before with this NUC?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

Rew452
Novice

Hi David,

Looking at the Compatibility List only go to show there has not been much testing of USB Flash drives on this device; 2 USB Flash drives, 1. Kingston and 1. SanDisk certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

I have test these USB drives on 2 different NUC11PHi7 system and the results are exactly the same. They dropout from Explorer and the system in a minute or two. As a mater of fact I lost one because I was trying to format to see if that would help. System dropped the drive in the middle of the drive format. 

Both systems are on Windows v21H2 (OS Build 22000.613) and are fully updated to the latest drivers from MS and you(Intel).

I have attached the requested SSU request report. 

Adata is considered to be in the top 10 for flash drives.

Wayne

Rew452
Novice

One more thing to reiterate these drives work fine in other  PC's. 

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

Thank you for your patience, As a test, can you try to install the graphics driver version 30.0.101.1660?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Rew452
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Thanks, I installed it yesterday; testing USB Flash drives this morning and made no difference.

Wayne

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

Thank you so much for your response and I am sorry to know that the issue persisted. I will continue the investigation internally and let you know about any updates.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi Rew452,

We are currently investigating this report, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ronny G

Rew452
Novice
DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

Thanks for your patience, as Ronny_G_Intel mentioned, we are still checking this behavior. In the meantime, please try the following:

1. Install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and scan the system for updates:

2. If the tool does not help, you can go to the Windows device manager, and right-click "Unknown USB device" to upgrade the driver by auto search.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

GLee
Novice

I guest you did upgrade the bios to 043...

Rew452
Novice

Hi GLee,

There is no BIOS 043 for this NUC model; Only 65 and briefly 67 which was pulled. Waiting for new Bios currently. 

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

Before we continue further, I would like to know if you were able to install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and scan the system for updates.

Let me know if you were able to perform the recommendation from my previous post and if you need further help.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Rew452
Novice

No, I have used it in the past,  this really should not have any bearing on this issue. Via the SSU report and my reporting shows all drivers are fully updated to the latest.

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

I am sorry to know that the issue persists. I will review this behavior internally and I will post back with more information or troubleshooting steps.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

Thanks for your patience. In order to continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Have you updated the Intel® Chipset Device Software?

2. Were you able to access into Windows device manager to right-click "Unknown USB device" to upgrade the driver by auto search?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Rew452
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Yes, Chipset Device Software is the first thing done after a Windows Install. the version is:

1/12/2022

According to this NUC's Drivers/Software  page, this the most current.

As to the USB question,  this is the info:

Rew452_0-1651696094002.png

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I will proceed to continue with the investigation and I will keep you updated on this matter as soon as I have any details.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello Rew452, 

We are still working on this. However, I would like to confirm this first:

1. Have you tried a different Flash Drive brand?

2. Were these flash drives tested in a different system?

Regards,  

Deivid A.