Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12341 Discussions

NUC11TNHI70L modern standby

jrstech
Beginner

Unable to put my NUC11TNHI70L in sleep mode either manually or by Windows settings. I'm connected to Dell 38" display via HDMI and the monitor just goes to standby but no flashing LED on power button and the fan continues to run a loud as it does under light load. I've tried many different combination of power settings in Bios (0062) but starting to think it is so by design. Also miss having the HD activity LED I've been used to in the NUC8 that this device replaced. I assume it's missing some of the features of the NUC8 being that NUC11 Pro version is geared more towards business use. If anyone has a HD LED activity light solution I'd welcome your suggestions.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JosueO_Intel

Hello jrstechz,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. In order to have a better understanding of the issue, please share with us the following information: 

1. Was it working before? If so, when did the issue start happening?
  2. Does the NUC automatically goes into sleep mode at any moment?
  3. Screenshot of the power settings.
  4. Screenshot of the LED settings 

Also, please download and install the Intel System Support Utility (Intel SSU):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

jrstech
Beginner

Thank you for your response.

1. I cannot comment as it is a new device.

2. I'm not sure if it is in sleep mode or screen is just timing out since the fan continues to run and the power button LED stays solid.

Screenshots attached.

jrstech
Beginner

Here are the screen shots. Also, post hotkeys do not display as selected.

JosueO_Intel

Hello jrstechz,

Thank you for the information provided, it is important for you to know that fans spinning during sleep mode is normal behavior. The fans will turn off when the internal temperature of the NUC falls below 25 degrees C, even in sleep mode. You can check this information here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000059300/intel-nuc.html

You may also find our article Power Button LED and Ring LED Settings on Intel® NUC Kits useful:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023554/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-mini-pcs.html

Regarding the issue, please let the system try to go into sleep mode and wait until the fans stop spinning, after that, check if the system went into sleep mode. Share with me the results. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

jrstech
Beginner

Thanks I will try your suggestion but I don't believe the setting for Power Button LED and Ring LED pertain to the NUC 11 Pro series as there is only a power button with white LED which cannot be modified with color only 50% or 100% brightness. Also in sleep mode the Power Button LED stays on solid (no blinking). So I'm not sure if it is related to modern standby as it is not fully stopped the way standard sleep mode does. I will disable modern standby and advise if the power light blinks when sleeping.

JosueO_Intel

Hello jrstechz,

Thank you for the information provided, we will wait for you to perform the steps and let us know the results. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello jrstechz,

Were you able to perform the steps provided in the previous post?

Let us know if you still need our assistance. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

jrstech
Beginner

I have attempted your suggestions with exception of disabling modern standby in Win registry. I have changed the setting to 50c to see if the fan stops internal temperature of the NUC falls below 50 degrees C. It does not, even though the temp is well below 50c.

The power button does not flash when set to when in sleep mode so I don't believe the link you provided pertains to the Pro models as there is no ring or color options. The only option is to have the power LED at 50%, 100%, various flashing options or off.

JosueO_Intel

Hello jrstechz,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello jrstechz,

In this case, have you tried reinstalling the OS? Please try using a different OS copy since the current one might have the ACPI corrupted. 

Also, please try performing a BIOS recovery using the latest BIOS available for your NUC, you can download the file here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19698/bios-update-tntgl357.html

In order to perform the recovery, please follow the steps in the article "BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUCs with the Aptio® V UEFI Firmware Core". In this case, you will need to follow the F7 key method: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033291/intel-nuc.html

Regards, 

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello jrstechz,

Were you able to perform the steps provided in the previous post?

Let us know if you still need our assistance. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

JosueO_Intel

Hello jrstechz,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards, 

Josue O.