Intel® NUCs
Assistance in Intel® NUC products
Announcements
All support for Intel® NUC 7 - 13 systems is transitioning to ASUS. Read more.
13489 Discussions

NUC11TNHv7 - How configure BIOS Settings to get Power Button LED to Flash when Disk Activity?

csi
Novice

There's got to be some secret membership club handshake to coerce the Power Button LED to flash when there's disk activity. I've tried every combo but yet have to figure out the secret. 

Inconsistently, and often confused, some older BIOS versions would flash the LED when disk activity, but settings got very confused and sometimes lost with the previously intractable issues fully shutting down.

I've tried changing BIOS, Power, Secondary Power Settings, Button LED from Power State Indicator to HDD Activity LED; S0 Indicator Brightness 100%, but then the LED stays completely dark/off. Shutting down Windows, pulling the AC cord for 10 seconds and powering on doesn't help - the power button LED is still dark.

The Intel NUC Software Studio is no help, it's not built for the NUC11TNHx7.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19691/intel-nuc-software-studio-service.html

Anyone?

Intel, please don't ask me to provide a bunch of diagnostic reports and logs. I don't have the time. Just grab a NUC11TNHv7 and the 0069 firmware and try it yourself. Also fails on NUC11TNHi7.

LAN-Win10_Win11-27.4

GFX-Win10_Win11-31.0.101.3222

ME_Corporate-Win10_Win11-2141.15.0.2511

TNTGLV57.0069.EBU

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

I don't have NUC FN to verify this, but please check in BIOS Advanced > Storage if there is field HDD Activity LED (if yes, should be checked )

Leon

0 Kudos
csi
Novice

Hi Leon, thanks for your reply!

Yes, HDD Activity LED is checked (which is default setting).

Now, this gets interesting...

For kicks, on my NUC11TNHv7, I unchecked the HDD Activity LED setting, then checked it again to enable it.

Now, voila! The Power Button LED reflects HDD Activity! Crazy, absolutely crazy.

I have more NUC11TNHv7 still in the box, and will see if the scenario can be duplicated.

But, not out of the woods yet... When there's lots of disk activity (for example, Windows startup or a disk backup), the Power Button LED  goes completely dark which makes it appear the NUC is powered off, which would naturally lead someone to press the power button to turn on the NUC, not knowing they're actually turning if off during high disk activity, which is especially dangerous because it's precisely when there's lots of disk activity that the computer shouldn't be abruptly turned off, leading to disk and file corruption. Yikes!

So, Intel, can you adjust the Power Button HDD LED to always show light even when the disk is super busy, including Gen 4 SSD's that read/write up to 8000MB/sec. Thanks!

On the other hand, in regards to the NUC11TNHi7, it's still confused, even with BIOS 0069. After ensuring HDD Activity LED is enabled in  BIOS, Advanced / Storage, setting the Power Button LED to HDD Activity LED does not cause the Power Button LED to flash when disk activity.

Plus, when both Power Button LED is set to HDD Activity LED and HDD LED is set to HDD Activity LED, then the Power Button LED goes completely dark/off. No lights for anything, not power or HDD activity.

Ironically, with these same settings, the NUC11TNHv7 doesn't suffer this specific problem of no lights.

Finally, does anyone know if the Power, Secondary Power Settings, HDD LED setting relates to the physical motherboard front panel LED header, or the virtual HDD LED reflected in the Power Button?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello csi, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® NUC 11 Pro Kit NUC11TNHv7.

In this case, I noticed that you have opened a different thread with the same NUC model (Intel® NUC 11 Pro Kit NUC11TNHv7) and there you asked to get support via phone. Since you mentioned this issue too there, let me know if you want to continue the support via live support or if you want to continue here.

Use the link based on your location:

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello csi, 

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
csi
Novice

All of this is still a problem:

When there's lots of sequential disk activity (for example, Windows startup or a disk backup), the Power Button LED  goes completely dark which makes it appear the NUC is powered off, which would naturally lead someone to press the power button to turn on the NUC, not knowing they're actually turning if off during high disk activity, which is especially dangerous because it's precisely when there's lots of disk activity that the computer shouldn't be abruptly turned off, leading to disk and file corruption. Yikes!

So, Intel, can you adjust the Power Button HDD LED to always show light even when the disk is super busy, including Gen 4 SSD's that read/write up to 8000MB/sec. Thanks!

Finally, does anyone know if the Power, Secondary Power Settings, HDD LED setting relates to the physical motherboard front panel LED header, or the virtual HDD LED reflected in the Power Button?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello csi, 

Thanks for your response. Just to confirm, have you tried to change the LED behavior from the BIOS?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
csi
Novice

Just to confirm, did you actually bother to read my extensively detailed post before passing the buck by sending your boilerplate response which makes my experience with Intel's NUC even worse.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello csi, 

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Allow me to investigate this issue internally and I will get back to you as soon as I have any information for you.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello csi, 

Thanks for your patience. We have tried to replicate this issue but we did not get the same results. We will share the configuration that we used and if the issue persists even after using the same settings we recommend you to get in contact with us to check the warranty option for you.

Use the link based on your location:

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos