Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

NUC11TNHv7 Thunderbolt causes slow restart POST delay

csi
Beginner

Has anyone else experienced very slow restarts when a Thunderbolt device is attached?

A cold start power on boot is normal, but restarting Windows 10 causes about a 2 minute 30 second delay before POST initiates. I've turned a lot of dials and knobs in BIOS in hopes of eliminating the delay, but no luck so far. Any tips?

fwiw, Windows is updated, Drivers are updated, BIOS is updated.

Otherwise, the TB device works fine, it's just the delayed restart that's frustrating.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Since I don't have NUC TN, I can't verify this, but in BIOS Advanced > USB set the relevant USB C port to No Detect instead of Enable. The port will not detected by POST, but it will be available to the OS.

Leon

csi
Beginner

Thanks for that tip!

There's no such setting for the two Thunderbolt ports, nevertheless, I set all the USB ports to No Detect and No Power, then RDP'd into the NUC to control it, since the physically attached USB keyboard and mouse dongle no longer functioned. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the delayed restart problem.

Interestingly, after power on, the NUC restarts twice in a row without any delay, then on about the third restart, it hangs for about 2.5 minutes before showing the POST Intel NUC logo and starting Windows. Subsequent restarts are also delayed as if it's remembering something that makes it wait to restart (or timing out on something it's seeing/not seeing).

Furthermore, this delayed restart funny business does NOT happen until Windows Updates are applied. For example, the NUC is clean installed with Win 10 Enterprise SAC 1809 (no network connection), all available Intel drivers (downloaded from a separate PC) are installed and everything's groovy - no restart or shutdown problems. Then, Windows Updates are installed and the restart problem begins.

Thoughts, anyone?

LeonWaksman
Super User

When you are installing the Intel Drivers, are you installing as a first driver the Chipset Device Software and ME Driver? Only after installing those drivers and rebooting your NUC you may continue with installation.

Using the Windows 10 Product key, you may install Windows 11 and see how its work. 

Leon

csi
Beginner

I did Chip, LAN, then ME.  Still ok?

csi
Beginner

When restart is delayed, I'm noticing lights on my TB device do not turn off, whereas, when a restart is not delayed, the TB device lights do turn off for a moment, while the NUC restarts. So, perhaps this activity is indicative of a timeout, hence the delay, as if the NUC is waiting for the TB device to turn off, maybe.

evanzel
Beginner

This sounds like my own problem, nuc12, two and a half minutes random slow restarts or shutdowns.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC12WSHi5-power-led-stays-on-for-2-3-minutes-after-shutdo...

But I don't have a TB device connected. My problem is under investigation.

Does your problem happen only with TB device connected?

csi
Beginner

I don't know for certain, but try changing Windows, Power settings to Maximum Performance.

cioma
New Contributor I

I see the same delays when restarting or shutting down NUC11TNBi7 with a Thunderbolt SSD drive from Win 10.

Oddly enough that never happens under Ubuntu Linux.

DeividA_Intel

Hello csi,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® NUC 11 Pro Kit NUC11TNHv7.

I would like to know if the issue with the Thunderbolt device persists or if it is fixed. I will be waiting for your response.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

DeividA_Intel

Hello csi,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

cioma
New Contributor I

Hi Deivid,

Well, I still experience this problem when powering-off or rebooting from under Windows.

But there are no issue under Linux.

DeividA_Intel

Hello cioma, 

Thanks for your report. In this case, I recommend you open a new thread so you can get proper support based on your system and specific issues.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Jocelyn_Intel

Hello csi, 

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

DeividA_Intel

Hello csi,  

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.