Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11884 Discussions

NUC11TNKi5 and Western Digital PC SN520 NVMe SSD (2242 B Key Slot)

EnderA
Beginner

Hello,

I have a NUC11 Pro.

Samsung 980 Pro M2 is installed in NVMe Slot.

Can I plug a Western Digital PC SN520 2242 NVMe SSD into the other 2242 B-Key Slot?

thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

I don't have NUC11TNKi5, however, checking the specification, I understand that the second M.2 slot is PCIe x 1 only, designed for SATA drive. 

Leon

EnderA
Beginner
Thank you for your interest.
So as a result, is the SN520 SSD M.2 SSD used?
EnderA
Beginner

sn520 m2 ssd  picture

LeonWaksman
Super User

To work correctly the NVMe SSD need to have four PCIe lines, while the M.2 B slot in your NUC have only one. So, the SN520 is not suitable for this slot. Intel tested three M.2 SATA SSDs, for this slot.  Only three SSD where tested by Intel, but  additional SATA SSD with M.2 form factors Type 2242 may be installed in this slot, however where not validated by Intel.

Leon

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I noticed the list of compatible components on the Intel website seems outdated.  Then when Intel tested something, it was always the most expensive version such as a business might buy.  I didn't think I would ever figure out what economical components would fit in my NUC, but then I realized if one goes to the component manufacturer's website, they are generally going to tell you which computers their components will work in.  Also, it helps to stick to the same brand that Intel tested even if it's not the same model component.  I have read in other posts that NUCs are particularly sensitive as to what components they will accept, so if you don't at least see the Western Digital brand on the list of compatible components for anything, you don't want to use Western Digital!  

Virgis13
Beginner

I bought my first NUC in 2016. Since I never had any problems with it, so I bought again, only much better - NUC11TNKi7.

And how disappointed I am that the second socket is not NVMe but only M.2 2242 B-Key.

As you know, the choice of this type SSD is small and bet all of them - low capacity (512Gb max) and speed (550 mbps).

I don’t understand why "Intel" did that.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Intel does not throw away a fortune purchasing peripherals to test with the NUCs. Considering sales volumes, doing so would significantly increase the price of validation and thus the overall price of the NUCs. If they do not get samples sent to them, they do not get tested; it's that simple.

...S

JRS1
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

Intel does not throw away a fortune purchasing peripherals to test with the NUCs. Considering sales volumes, doing so would significantly increase the price of validation and thus the overall price of the NUCs. If they do not get samples sent to them, they do not get tested; it's that simple.

...S

I  think the point here is that why Intel did not allow M2 2242 port be NVMe compatible but only SATA???

I don't think that was just a question of purchasing peripherals for testing but design choice to drop NVMe support from 2242.

There are very little choices for 2242 SATA models with any known brand and ZERO larger than 512GB! Practically Transcend 430S 512GB is the only considerable choice. Sure I've seen those larger ones you listed selling, but they all are "never heard" brands for me with almost zero reviews. I value my data way too much for taking chances with SSD I'm not sure is reliable. I guess just using external SSD connected all the time would be even better choice, but even there are not much ones that are durable and suitable for constant use. I have got Samsung T5 myself but that is terrible in terms of SSD life because wear level count increased by 1% every 250GB, so only 25TB total life based on that (even smallest internal M2 SSD's have 150TB or more). Not sure if there are better ones (durable) in other models or brands for external ones...

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee