Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12545 Discussions

NUC11TNKv7 display glitch during boot when connected to Dell 8K display

lucasmason
New Contributor I

I have a NUC11TNKv7 with 64GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD,  it's connected to a Dell UP3218K display via two USB-C to DisplayPort cables.

Starting from BIOS 0067, during boot the display output from the NUC becomes displaced and cut off on both sides, making it impossible to access BIOS settings .

When the NUC boots into the OS eveything is normal.

I've updated the BIOS from 0067 to 0069 and the same issue persists.

Please see images below demonstrating the displaced video output.

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @lucasmason

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please confirm the following details?

1- Our understanding is that you are using "dual DisplayPort (DP) input" to achieve 8K resolution.

Just to make sure, are you using two separate straight-through connections (USB-C to DP) with individual cables? Or are you using any type of adapters, HUBs, or dockings?

2- What is the behavior if you connect using only a single DP cable or using HDMI*? Does it work as expected on the BIOS? (The idea is to see if the issue is specific when using 2 DP connections simultaneously).

3- Have you made recent changes to the BIOS that might be related to the behavior? If so, could you please undo the changes or load BIOS defaults to test if the behavior is different? To load BIOS defaults, follow these steps:

• 1. Press F2 during boot to enter the BIOS Setup.
  • 2. Press F9 to set defaults.
  • 3. Press F10 to save and exit

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

lucasmason
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel 

1. I'm using two separate straight-through connections (USB-C to DP), no adapters, no converters or active cables.

2. Single DP and HDMI both work as expected. No display glitch in BIOS and the intel boot logo is normally sized, not stretched and magnified as seen from the second image.

3. No recent changes made. All BIOS settings are factory default.

Note that this issue was introduced in BIOS 0067 and also present in the most recent BIOS version 0069.

Thanks.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello lucasmason

Thank you for your response.

Please allow us to review this behavior further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available or in case any additional information is required.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello lucasmason

We are still working on this; however, just to make sure we have accurate information since you mentioned the issue was introduced with BIOS 0067 and continues on BIOS 0069, could you please confirm if when using BIOS 0064 the unit works as expected?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

lucasmason
New Contributor I

@AndrewG_Intel 

With BIOS 0064 the unit works as expected.

The issue occurred and persisted immediately after updating to 0067.

Thanks.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello lucasmason

Thank you very much for the clarification. Once we have more information available we will update the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello lucasmason, Thank you very much for your patience. I just received an update on this matter.

First, we wanted to apologize since it took longer than we expected to try to gather a possible resolution for this scenario.

Please follow these steps:

-To speed up monitor initialization, disable Monitor Sleep by OSD (Menu>Energy Settings>Monitor SleepDisable).

-The monitor defaults at DP1.4. When needing to enter the BIOS, temporarily change the monitor to DP1.2. Be sure to change your monitor back to DP1.4 once you're done accessing BIOS/Post screen. To change between the versions:

1. Go to the On-Screen Display (OSD) menu, under Input Source selection, press and hold DP and the P key for 8 sec to change the monitor setting from DP 1.4 to DP 1.2. (Follow the same instructions to change from DP1.2 to DP1.4).

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello lucasmason, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello lucasmason, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter since this thread will no longer be monitored.

As an alternative, you can also try a different set of cables or even get in contact directly with Dell Support for a possible monitor firmware update and further suggestions on this matter:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

Regards,

Albert R.