Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12539 Discussions

NUC12DCMi7 - occasionally unable to boot up with graphic card installed

woj
Novice

hello,

For few days I have this NUC Extreme 12 DMCi7 but I cannot get it working properly. When I install my graphic card (Powercolor Radeon 5700XT) the system does not boot up at all and gets stuck at the skull logo without access to Bios etc. The worst thing is that after series of restarts it occasionally boots properly but then it sees two graphic cards (the xt5700 and the on-board one) and thinks it is connected to 2 monitors. I am not sure why it is occasionally booting up properly. I have noticed that it boots up properly when I remove and re-insert the graphic card - but then if I restart the NUC it will not boot up unless I re-install the card. I have played with removing and re-inserting RAM modules. Removing drives etc. Nothing makes things better - only re inserting the graphic card makes the NUC to properly boot up occasionally only. I do not have an another card to check unfortunately. Could this be a PS issue?

Also, when I was inserting memory modules I have noticed that there is a loose connector there - is this correct? Should be there a connector hanging out there or something got disconnected? But then if the connector was necessary, I guess, the NUC would not be working.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Hugo_Intel

Hello @woj

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Intel® NUC 12 Extreme Kit – NUC12DCMi7.

Please let's try the following:

1. Please update the Intel graphics driver to the latest version 31.0.101.3222, and make sure that your AMD drivers are up to date.
  2. Make sure that the GPU is well seated on the PCI slot and that the power connectors are properly connected.
  3. Please when the NUC boots with the GPU connected, try testing both display connectors on the NUC and on the GPU.
  4. Also, could you please let me know if the NUC works perfectly fine without the AMD GPU?

Answering your questions about the loose cable or connector inside the chassis this is a spare USB 2.0 micro header. It's not used with the current design and can be tucked away without interfering with anything.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

woj
Novice

Hello Hugo O,

1. Yes, I have updated the Intel Graphic driver as instructed above.

2. I believe power connectors are properly connected and the card sits fully into the PCI slot (I have done this several times already)

3. So I inserted the AMD GPU back connected both the AMDGPU (Display Port) and the internal GPU (HDMI). and the system started properly and I could see MS Windows 11 working on both inputs. BUT then I restarted the NUC and this went wrong again and the system did not booted up and stopped at the 'skull' without even getting to the BIOS options. So I had to power it down. and remove the AMD GPU.

4. Yes, once the AMD GPU is removed the system works well just on the internal GPU. No problems - I can restart put it to sleep etc and it works. While on the internal GPU, for example, when I put the system to sleep it does not work back again when I try to wake it up.

So, for some reason - I can start it on the AMD GPU only once unless I keep removing and connecting it to the PCI slot.

Hugo_Intel

Hello woj

Thank you for the information provided.   

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.  

Best regards,  

Hugo O.   

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Hugo_Intel

Hello woj

Thank you for your patience. Please let's try the following:

1.-Check the boot order on your Bios and make sure that the SSD with the Operating System installed is selected as the first option:

• Press F2 during POST to enter the BIOS
  • Navigate to Boot -> Boot Priority
  • Select the correct SSD

2.-Please, check the power consumption of your GPU with your GPU manufacturer, the maximum power consumption supported for add-in card design is 375W (150W from each PCI Express 6+2/8pin + 75W from PCI Express Slot). You can check the attached document on page 35 section 2.21.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

MRoss5200
Valued Contributor I

I tried a similar setup with my NUC12DCi9. I had a 5700XT in the x16 slot and the internal graphics enabled (or on auto). Both of my monitors are set to 1080p 60Hz as that was all I had. Made sure I had the latest BIOS installed (0056).

Everything seems to boot fine with both GPUs installed. Even used the MS WHQL version of the AMD graphics driver and also installed the 11-22 WHQL driver. 

Had HDMI monitor using internal GPU, DP on 5700xt on 2nd monitor. No issues rebooting or shutting down and then powering up.

First thing to try is disable HDMI CEC Control under "Onboard Devices".

Second, make sure PCIE Resizable BAR Support is "Enabled" under "Advanced".

woj
Novice

Thanks all for help. I did everything what suggested but nothing worked. I have checked the power requirements for this card but I could only find that it requires a 'Minimum System Power requirement 650W'.  The NUC12 Extreme is equipped with a 650W power supply so I would say it should be enough but it is not, so maybe this particular card takes just a bit too much of power (particularly at start?) which exceeds the requirements?

Anyway.....I have bought a Palit Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 graphic card and...it works - every time! So I will keep the RTX 3060 and will have to sell the 5700XT - shame as obviously a unexpected and unnecessary expenditure but at least I have a working system now.

One comment here - the main GPU 8 pin power connector has cables at the angle. The graphic card's socket is recessed and because of that I could not fully push the plug into the socket as the casing of the GPU was in the way. I managed, only because the casing is quite flexible, but it does not visually look good.

Are there a suitable short extension cables available? I can only find a 180 degree angle connectors but I am not sure if this will be suitable. I have noticed that lots of GPU's now is equipped with a recessed socket so using this plug wmay be problematic for many, I guess. I saw on one of the reviews that such short extension cable was used (probably for the same reason - recessed socket) but I have no idea what was this.

Interestingly Palit on their website provides details of the graphic card power requirements (170W) and recommended system power supply which is 550W (so 100W less required than for the 5700XT). 

Thanks a lot for suggestions and help.

AlHill
Super User

@woj Careful with the power assumption.   Yes, the power supply is 650w.  But, you have to pay attention to what is available to the slot and from the power supply.  This is from the technical specification, page 35:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/intel-nuc/NUC12DCM_NUC12EDB_TechProdSpec.p...

Specifically:

The maximum power consumption supported for add-in card design is 375W (150W from each PCI
Express 6+2/8pin + 75W from PCI Express Slot)

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

woj
Novice

@AlHill - thanks. I know but its difficult to work out the exact power consumption of the card if the manufacturer does not provide it but only 'recommended PSU' value which is sort of useless I would say.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, what you want is for them to publish the peak power consumption, especially that necessary at power on. I find it almost ironic that hard drive manufacturers, whose products use so little power (relatively speaking), always provide the peak power consumption numbers.

Good input regarding the recessed power connectors; I will pass this on to the design team. They may be stuck between a rock and a hard place, however, as they have the angled connectors to handle the confines of the chassis.

...S

P.S. There are extension cable sets - like this (Amazon US$20): ABNO1 PSU Cable Extension Kit - available.

Hugo_Intel

Hello woj

We are glad to know you found a solution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior.

The Nvidia 3060 GPU does consume less power, for future integrations, we recommend checking with the GPU manufacturer to get the exact power consumption of the GPU and checking it against what is stated in the Technical Product Specifications document shared in my previous post and also on the post by @AlHill.

Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.