Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12111 Discussions

NUC12DCMi9 NVME Gen4 SSD perf– OK on PCH slot 2 - very slow on PCH slot 1 and CPU-attached

M56
Beginner

I have identified a serious SSD performance degradation. It occurs with Windows 11, Windows 10, and Ubuntu 22.04. It occurs when measured with Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskMark. It occurs with both a Samsung 980 Pro 512 GB and a Sabrent Rocket Plus 512 GB. I am on 0052 BIOS.

With the Samsung 980 Pro 512GB  in slot 2 (nearest the CPU), sequential speed reads are 6679 MB/s and sequential write speeds are 4983 MB/s. This is the expected speed with the Samsung 980 Pro.

With the Samsung 980 Pro in slot 1, or in the CPU-attached slot, sequential speed reads are only 1795 MB/s and sequential write speeds are 1735 MB/s.

Similar results occur with the Sabrent Rocket Pro 512 GB.

I understand that this is a known problem but will require a new bios to resolve - potentially taking 2 months.  Any other solutions?

0 Kudos
30 Replies
M56
Beginner

Here are metrics using Samsung Magician on the Samsung 980 Pro - the most recent using the slot closest to the CPU

M56_1-1654793348950.png

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @M56

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following information?

1- Is the behavior occurring since the first day that you have these devices/configuration? Or did it work as expected before at some point?

2- If this worked fine before, were there any hardware or software changes that may relate to the point when the behavior started? (e.g.: BIOS, Windows, Software, or driver updates?)

3- Just for testing purposes, have you checked if the drives have the same behavior on another compatible system?

4- Have you checked if there is any drive's firmware update available for the drives? You may visit the drive's manufacturer's website or contact their support team for assistance with this step.

5- Please provide the part numbers of the SAMSUNG* and Sabrent drives. You may also share some links as references:

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

M56
Beginner

1- Is the behavior occurring since the first day that you have these devices/configuration? Or did it work as expected before at some point?

This is a new system. During initial setup, I installed bios version 0052. I noticed that disk performance was very close to my 2017 MacBook Pro, which was a big disappointment. (I was using the CPU-attached slot because it is easier to access and because I read somewhere that it would be slightly faster.)

2- If this worked fine before, were there any hardware or software changes that may relate to the point when the behavior started? (e.g.: BIOS, Windows, Software, or driver updates?)

It never worked fine.

3- Just for testing purposes, have you checked if the drives have the same behavior on another compatible system?

I don't have another compatible system. However, both drives work fine on this system in the slot nearest the CPU, but not in the other two slots.

4- Have you checked if there is any drive's firmware update available for the drives? You may visit the drive's manufacturer's website or contact their support team for assistance with this step.

Yes, both drives are on the latest firmware.

5- Please provide the part numbers of the SAMSUNG* and Sabrent drives. You may also share some links as references:

Samsung 980 Pro 500GB 

Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 500GB 

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

I am traveling and don't have access to the system until June 18. I will send the report then.

M56
Beginner

Another user described the same problem in this discussion.

The proposed solution is to use a debug version of the bios, or to revert back to the previous version. A debug version is unacceptable due to data integrity concerns. And reverting to the previous version is not palatable.

I recommend that Intel remove bios version 0052 until a new version is available. Otherwise there will be numerous dissatisfied customers who waste a lot of time discovering that their drives are not at fault, and that the new bios version is the cause of serious degradation in dis performance.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

Thank you for your response and for all the details.

We will proceed to review this further and as soon as more information is available we will be posting it here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

After reviewing this further, we would like to inform you that Intel® is working on the official solution.

At this moment, what we can offer you is the option of the DBIOS as a temporary fix. Please note that this is a Development BIOS (not ready for production).

The other option would be to wait for Intel to release the official fix. By now there are no other options available.

In case you are willing to try the DBIOS, we will send you an email to the email address associated with your profile to provide you with more details.

Also, we have sent your feedback to the proper department about your recommendation of removing the BIOS version 0052 until a new version is available. However, the team will not be able to provide updates regarding the status of the suggestion.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post and try the DBIOS. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

M56
Beginner

Hi Andrew

I installed the new BIOS – speeds are now higher on slots 1 and 2.  I am now getting 6967 MB/s read and 3741 MB/s write speed on my Sabrent Rocket Plus – 3+ times faster than previously.

My Samsung 980 Pro is at 5200 MB/s both read and write – versus  6679 MB/s and 4983 MB/s previously - read speeds seem to have deteriorated. with this device.

I see that bios version 0052 is no longer available on your website – thanks for following my suggestion to retract it.

Thanks

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

Thank you for your response and for the feedback.

We understand that after installing the DBIOS, the speeds are now 3+ times faster for the Sabrent disk.

We can also see that speed has increased a lot for the SAMSUNG* disks (5200 MB/s read and write) compared to the initial behavior of 1700MB/s but the read speed is still under "the expected value" you referred to of "6679 MB/s".

We will review these details and once there is any additional information to share, we will be posting it here in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

M56
Beginner

I will attach copies of the CrystalDiskMark benchmarks that I ran with my Samsung 980 Pro and Sabrent Rocket 4 plus - using the 0riginal 0052 bios and the updated 0052 bios. They clearly show deterioration in the Samsung performance in slot 2 after applying the updated bios.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

In regards to the behavior with the Samsung 980 Pro, by any chance are you able to test the drive in a different system and let us know if the performance is different (as expected) or the same as the one you are seeing now (5200 MB/s speed for both read and write)?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

M56
Beginner

Andrew - I don't have another system compatible with the NVME drives.

I will attach copies of the CrystalDiskMark benchmarks that I ran with my Samsung 980 Pro using the 0riginal 0052 bios and the updated 0052 bios. They clearly show deterioration in the Samsung performance in slot 2 after applying the updated bios.

M56
Beginner

Bios 0052 Original - Samsung 980 Pro - Slot 2

Bios 0052 Original - Samsung 980 Pro - Slot 2.png

M56
Beginner

Bios 0052 Updated - Samsung 980 Pro - Slot 2

Bios 0052 Updated - Samsung 980 Pro - Slot 1.png

M56
Beginner

Bios 0052 Original - Samsung 980 Pro - Slot 1

Bios 0052 Original - Samsung 980 Pro - Slot 1.png

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

Thank you for your response and for the addtional screensthos. We're going to check this behavior and post back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DeividA_Intel

Hello M56, 

Thanks for your patience. In order to continue with the investigation I would like to confirm the following:

1. Is the issue only present with the SAMSUNG disks?

2. Can you try with a different slot and check the performance?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

M56
Beginner

1. Is the issue only present with the SAMSUNG disks? If you are referring to the original issue I posted on June 9 -  the severe slowdown it exists on buth Samsung and Sabrent disks. If you are referring to the slowdown  in my June 28 reply, I only measured the Samsung disk.

2. Can you try with a different slot and check the performance. No, I don't have a spare hour to do disassemble and reassemble my computer 2 times.

Important: I now think the slowdown I observer on June 28 was due to Bitlocker. I created a partition on the Samsung drive and formatted it to NTFS without Bitlocker.  I obtained 6735 MB/s read and 4871 MB/s write. On a Bitlocker encrypted partition on the same drive, I get 5944 MB/s read and 5241 MB/s read.  Speeds without Bitlocker are as expected.

DeividA_Intel

Hello M56, 

Thanks for your response. With this information, I will continue with the investigation and as soon as I have any further details or if I have further questions I will let you know.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello M56, 

We are investigating this behavior, however, in order to continue I would like to confirm if when you mentioned "speeds without Bitlocker are as expected", does this mean that the issue was already solved for slot 2?

Regards,  

Deivid A.