Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12110 Discussions

NUC12DCMi9 NVME Gen4 SSD perf– OK on PCH slot 2 - very slow on PCH slot 1 and CPU-attached

M56
Beginner

I have identified a serious SSD performance degradation. It occurs with Windows 11, Windows 10, and Ubuntu 22.04. It occurs when measured with Samsung Magician and CrystalDiskMark. It occurs with both a Samsung 980 Pro 512 GB and a Sabrent Rocket Plus 512 GB. I am on 0052 BIOS.

With the Samsung 980 Pro 512GB  in slot 2 (nearest the CPU), sequential speed reads are 6679 MB/s and sequential write speeds are 4983 MB/s. This is the expected speed with the Samsung 980 Pro.

With the Samsung 980 Pro in slot 1, or in the CPU-attached slot, sequential speed reads are only 1795 MB/s and sequential write speeds are 1735 MB/s.

Similar results occur with the Sabrent Rocket Pro 512 GB.

I understand that this is a known problem but will require a new bios to resolve - potentially taking 2 months.  Any other solutions?

0 Kudos
30 Replies
M56
Beginner

Yes, without Bitlocker, the slowdown issue seems to be fixed using the updated version of bios 0052.

DeividA_Intel

Hello M56, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I will check internally to confirm if there are further steps to try or any extra information for you. I will update this thread as soon as possible.

Thanks for the comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

DeividA_Intel

Hello M56

Before we continue further since you said " without Bitlocker, the slowdown issue seems to be fixed using the updated version of bios 0052." I would like to know if you need further assistance or if the issue was completely solved.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

M56
Beginner

No

The issue will not be fully resolved until Intel releases a new bios. I am currently using a special test version of bios 0052 that has not been released for general use.

DeividA_Intel

Hello M56

I am so sorry to know that the issue persists. I will check once more to confirm if we have any further steps for you.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

We do apologize if there was some misunderstanding before. Just to make sure we are on the same page, could you please confirm the following details?

1- Regarding the slowdown behavior that you noticed on June 28th with the SAMSUNG* SSD (let's call it "the secondary issue"), you found out it was due to having BitLocker enabled, and after formatting the SSD to NTFS without Bitlocker now that slowdown issue is fixed. Is this correct?

Having said that, can we say it was due to BitLocker and this "secondary issue" is fixed now once you stopped using BitLocker?

Note: Actually, some third-party websites (e.g.: Does BitLocker slow drive performance?*) and even some documentation from Microsoft* point out that chances are that when using BitLocker encryption it may affect sometimes computer's performance (e.g. there could be a performance penalty in SSD's write/read operations).

2- Now, focusing on the original issue (let's call it "the first issue") that you posted on June 9th (severe slowdown with SAMSUNG* and Sabrent disk when using them on Slot 1 and CPU-attached slot), you mentioned on June 23rd the following:

• "I installed the new BIOS (a.k.a the DBIOS we provided you via email) and speeds are now higher on slots 1 and 2. I am now getting 6967 MB/s read and 3741 MB/s write speed on my Sabrent Rocket Plus – 3+ times faster than previously".

Did you also notice an improvement in write/read speeds for the SAMSUNG* SSD?

If improvement was noticed on both drives with the DBIOS, (and considering now that you found the "secondary issue" was due to BitLocker), can we say and agree that the DBIOS has (temporarily) fixed the original issue for both the Samsung and Sabrent disks and the only pending fix is for us Intel to release the official BIOS release that will fix the "original issue"?

And if that is the case, please allow us to inform you that our team is still working on the official fix; however, there is no ETA yet for the release.

We just want to make sure we understand the current scenario and what we still need to consider a "pending issue/pending fix" so we can follow accordingly.

If you have additional inquiries or if you think it is important to provide us with any clarification about any of the previous points, please let us know.

We will be looking forward to hearing back you and thank you for all your efforts in this matter.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

M56
Beginner

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your persistence.

Secondary Issue.

Can we say it was due to BitLocker and this "secondary issue" is fixed now once you stopped using BitLocker?  Yes - BitLocker appears to be the cause of this issue.

Original Issue

Can we say and agree that the DBIOS has (temporarily) fixed the original issue for both the Samsung and Sabrent disks and the only pending fix is for us Intel to release the official BIOS release that will fix the "original issue"? Yes I agree

Regards

M56

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

Thank you very much for your response and clarification.

In addition to the original issue, we would like to inform you that today, we actually received new information about this matter and the new BIOS has been released. The new version is 0053. Could you please install the new BIOS and let us know the outcome?

To update the BIOS, please follow the BIOS update instructions.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

M56
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

I installed BIOS 0053. Speed results are exactly the same as with DBIOS 0052 which was previously provided to me.

The speed issues have been resolved.

Thanks for your help.

m56

AndrewG_Intel

Hello M56

Excellent news! We're glad to know that the speed issues have been resolved. Thank you for all the feedback you have provided.

Since we now have confirmation that the issue is solved on the latest BIOS, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.