Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12544 Discussions

NUC12SNK Screen Flickering (Continued)

masterdragon
Novice

Dear all,

I am sorry for coming back with this question again.

This is a continuation post on my Intel NUC12SNK Screen Flickering Problem. Original post is here.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC12SNK-Screen-Flickering/m-p/1431376#M95504

Since I have not been at home and use my computer for a long time I did not look at the problem further.

Recently I came back to my home from long travel, and tried it again, Same problem appeared in the game I used to play. Which is again the same game (Final Fantasy XIV)

I find that those black patches appear on certain smoky-windy kind of 3D effects only, rendering that whole area into black squares. Occasional screen flickering still exist.

Following @Jean_Intel 's advice on previous post I have ran the Intel SSU and I attach my system information here.

Black Patch and Flicker problem video is on the previous post.

Hope you can help me with these problems.

Best,

Jack

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Based on the issue and behavior, this may be a game-specific issue. I recommend you check this problem with the game developer to get further support.

You can also find the driver version 31.0.101.4032 in the following link:

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

20 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® NUC 12 Enthusiast Kit - NUC12SNKi72.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Did the issue come after you change the "shadow resolution"?

2. Have you reported this issue to the game developer? Could be a known issue on their side.

3. Have you tested a different monitor or TV?

4. Have you tried the graphics version 31.0.101.3430?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

masterdragon
Novice

Dear @Jocelyn_Intel 

Sorry for my late reply. Here are my answers to your questions.

1. Did the issue come after you change the "shadow resolution"?

No, it happened before I did change the resolution as well. In fact it was more serious before (The video and photo in my previous thread is actually taken before I change Shadow Resolution, after changing the resolution certain areas got fixed, no more flickering, but after playing a while I realize some areas still have such problem. I will try to get more photos of this later)

2. Have you reported this issue to the game developer? Could be a known issue on their side.

I have, there was no reply yet. I will keep on contacting them.

3. Have you tested a different monitor or TV?

Yes we did, same problem still happens

4. Have you tried the graphics version 31.0.101.3430?

I just downloaded it now, will try see if it works. Will reply on this thread again after trying.

Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @masterdragon

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

masterdragon
Novice

Dear @Jocelyn_Intel 

I have been trying to figure out why this happened, and tried to re-install graphics card. My PC has 2 graphics card drivers. Is it normal? I have attached a photo Hope it helps.

DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Thanks for your confirmation. In this case, your NUC has a dedicated graphics card (Intel® Arc™ A770M Graphics) and the embedded into the CPU (Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics eligible).

Use the following link to update the drivers:

Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Steven_Intel

We would just like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

masterdragon
Novice

Dear @Steven_Intel ,

Thank you for the follow up, I am still having problem with it.

According to @DeividA_Intel 's post, I tried to install the driver. However, the system kept on freezing when we installed the drivers.

I have 2 screen capture of the frozen screen. (i tried to install 2 times, frozen in different stages. Hope you can red chinese here :P)

Meanwhile I have 2 extra screencap of the in-game screenshots which has serious black patches. (Note that it is obviously certain screen effect that causes the problem. These effects were not on in the beginning of the scene, when the effects set in the screen become like this.)

Best Regards,

Jack

DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

masterdragon
Novice

Dear @DeividA_Intel Thank you for the information.

Meanwhile I Have checked on my graphics card versions, Seems the Arc 770 has a driver version newer than the version provided in your website.

Is this correct?

DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Thanks for your patience. In order to continue with the investigation I will need to confirm the following:

1. Please provide an updated report from the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU):

2. Is the game using the Iris or the Arc graphics car?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

masterdragon
Novice

Dear @DeividA_Intel ,

Thank you for the response, attached the SSU results, and also attached a screenshot on the graphics driver, seems it is using the Arc770.

Thank you again for all the help!

masterdragon
Novice

Dear @DeividA_Intel Thank you for the information.

Meanwhile I Have checked on my graphics card versions, Seems the Arc 770 has a driver version newer than the version provided in your website.

Is this correct?

DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Thanks for the information provided, I will proceed with the investigation and get back to you as soon as possible.

For the different drivers for the Arc device, there is one driver for the NUC and the card (it is compatible and customized for the NUC), their one for the card alone (usually for when it is installed on motherboards), and there is one for the integrated graphics (built-in with the CPU).

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Thanks for your patience. In this case, as a test I would like you to try the driver version 31.03101.3959 for your NUC:

Also, let me know if the game developer provided you with a response and which details did they share.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

masterdragon
Novice

Dear @DeividA_Intel ,

I have tried to reinstall the driver, to my surprise the FPS dropped to 20ish after the driver #3959 has been installed

Any ways to fix this?

Meanwhile the games support suggested that it is the problem of the video driver.

masterdragon
Novice

Dear @DeividA_Intel , Further to the problem regarding framerate drop, I realized a very interesting point.

Before I have installed the 3959 version driver I have never experienced this problem so I cannot say if it is a normal phenomenon or not, but I find while monitoring the dGPU performance, the clockrate of the dGPU suddenly drops at every 10-15 seconds for unknown reason. This actually coincides with the framerate drop period. It is actually captured in the video attached here. I have even tried the 3430 version driver and the problem persists.

Interestingly the previous 4032 driver did not have the framerate drop issue, so I am not sure if the clockrate drop is there before. Now I cannot find where to get that version of driver back, as it is not found on the intel official website.

DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Thanks for all the information provided. I will proceed to continue with the investigation and I will get back to you as soon as I have any findings.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Based on the issue and behavior, this may be a game-specific issue. I recommend you check this problem with the game developer to get further support.

You can also find the driver version 31.0.101.4032 in the following link:

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

masterdragon
Novice

Dear Deivid,

Thank you very much for the help.

after restarting the PC few times it seems that the framerate problem is not coming back again.

However the black patches still concerns me. I do think this might be a game-specific issue as no other games behave like this.

Thank you again for all the replies and helps so far!

DeividA_Intel

Hello masterdragon, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I am glad to know that issue with the framerate was solved. As you mentioned the issue may be related to the game, do not forget to get in contact with the game developer to get further support.

I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further support or if you faced any issues with our products.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.