Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12544 Discussions

NUC12WSHi5 : SATA 2.5 SSD and USB C functionality issues

Spaffinator5000

1. I'm having problems with the 2.5 SATA SSD not being present when starting Windows 11. This happens after waking from hibernation. It also happens when restarting or turning on after shutdown. After this has happened, the drive is not correctly detected in the BIOS and reads in the SATA port details:

SM2259AC-10-00 (1.0GB)

2. The USB C ports are sometimes entirely non-functional. This happens after waking from hibernation. It also happens when restarting or turning on after shutdown.

BOTH of these issues are SOMETIMES solved by turning off the computer and disconnecting the power lead for a few seconds. The devices will function normally again, sometimes independently of each other where the other one still experiences dysfunction.

All my drivers are up to date using the Intel Driver Support Assistant. I've tried hard-resetting the BIOS by taking out the pin dohicky. I've disconnected all USB devices while reinstalling some drivers. I've tried using other 2.5 SSD drives which present the same problem.

The SATA problem only presented itself recently while the USBC problem occurred quite soon after purchase (BIOS update related maybe?)

I really appreciate any help or ideas you could provide as I am otherwise delighted with this unit (it's my first NUC). Cheers!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Spaffinator5000

Well well well. This issue appears to have been solved!

I had done nothing aside from updating Windows 11 on January 10th with :

2023-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5022303)

And all issues with the 2.5 SSD have gone! I can no longer trigger the issues I had previously. The drive is now present after hibernating, restarting or shutting down.

I cannot ascertain anything specific in Microsoft's KB5022303 notes which would have impacted the NUC's 2.5 drive functionality, but my understanding of these software/hardware relationships is remedial at best.

Thank you n_scott_pearson, MRoss5200, Hugo O for your kind efforts in helping me sort this out. If the issue returns I'll reopen this topic. Fingers crossed I can now fully enjoy my NUC without issue.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Before you installed the Intel Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA), did you download and  install all of the drivers found on the download page for this NUC? At a bare minimum, you were supposed to install the Intel Chipset Device Software and Intel Management Engine packages beforehand. For more information, consult the following help pages:

The download page for your NUC is here, BTW: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=idsa-default#q=NUC12WSHi5&first=10&sort=relev...

Hope this helps,

...S

Spaffinator5000

Hello ...S,

Thank you kindly for your helpful suggestions.

Ah, was that what I was meant to do was it? I went through the pages you suggested and it was interesting to see that IDSA was limited in what could be installed. Luckily, I had previously installed every driver the search results yielded (including Intel Chipset Device Software and Intel Management Engine). I'm not sure at which point I had previously installed each driver.

I went through each driver and reinstalled/repair installed including the drivers that reported as downgrades. Unfortunately the problems still persist. Like clockwork, each time I Hibernate, the 2.5 SATA SSD disappears (in a clunky windows type of way where it freaks out if a folder was open directing to the drive).

I am crossing my fingers that this doesn't require an OS reinstallation due to a very specific order in which items must be installed

Cheers,

S

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You should try reinstalling the chipset device software package in overwrite mode. Process:

1. Extract the ZIP file to a temporary folder.
  2. Open a Command or PowerShell window rooted at this temporary folder.
  3. Run command ".\SetupChipset.exe /overall".
  4. Reboot.
  5. Delete temporary folder.

Hope this helps,

...S

Spaffinator5000

Thanks mate. No dice so far unfortunately.

I've followed your instructions on the admin account running as admin. It did flash up that it needed to restart the computer to install:

Intel(R) PEG60 - 464D

Which I did. I reset it again to make sure. Unfortunately the same behavior is observed : loss of 2.5 SATA SSD on hibernate.

I also proceeded to do the same instructions with Intel(R) Management Engine Interface #1 option of:

Allow the computer to power off this device to save power

turned off. I had turned this on because the unit was not restarting or shutting down often still being powered on with fan 100% after OS shutdown.

The 2.5 SATA SSD can be restored after shutdown and disconnect for a few seconds (but sometimes not). The NVME and M.2 SATA cards are not affected at all and maintain their presence

I really appreciate your efforts to help me with this problem. Thank you

Spaffinator5000

I went through the process of reinstalling Windows 11. Still no success

I made sure that the instance I had installed the OS on was showing the 2.5 SATA SSD and that the USBC was functioning. I made sure to install Intel Chipset Device Software and Intel Management Engine prior to anything else. I restarted after each driver installation. I proceeded to install drivers one-by-one from the relevant page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html?ws=idsa-default#q=NUC12WSHi5&first=10&sort=relev...

Then I updated windows. Everything still looked fine. The 2.5 SATA SSD showed up as normal.

Then, after powering on after a shutdown some time later, the drive was missing again. This was as near an untouched install as possible. I traded out the SSD and the same exact behavior occurred on another brand.

From what I can tell : sleep doesn't cause the drive to disconnect. Hibernate triggers a disconnect. Shut down sometimes causes a disconnect (although this now might be due to Windows hybrid sleep which I've not touched).

Maybe there's some issue with putting it in low power? The disconcerting thing is that I could see the issues happen on checking the bios with no OS. I have a Crucial 1TB 2.5 SATA SSD. In bios the 2.5 SATA SSD model will report:

SM2259AC-10-00 (1.0GB)

On booting with this, Windows will report in diskmgmt.msc:

Unknown 1.00GB Not Initialized, Unallocated

MRoss5200
Valued Contributor I

First thing I would check is that you have the latest firmware installed on the Crucial 2.5" SSD.

SSD firmware and support | Crucial.com

Make sure you have the latest BIOS 0086 installed onto NUC12WSHi5.

BIOS Update [WSADL357] (intel.com)

The next thing to try is in the BIOS, under \Advanced\Storage\ set Hard Pre-Drive Delay to 5 seconds.

Sometimes, drive need more time to start than Windows allows during boot.

If that does not work, do you have another 2.5" SSD or HDD to try and see if you get the same results?

Hugo_Intel

Hello Spaffinator5000

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I am sorry to hear that you are facing issues with your Intel® NUC 12 Pro Kit NUC12WSHi5.

If I may jump into the conversation, I would like to ask for the following information in order to further research this issue:

1.-Please, provide the make and model of all the SSDs that were tested.

2.-Provide pictures or screenshots showing how the SSDs are getting recognized both on Bios and the Disk Management application. Install each SSD and provide different pictures for each of them if possible.

3.-What is the Bios version installed on the NUC?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Spaffinator5000

Well well well. This issue appears to have been solved!

I had done nothing aside from updating Windows 11 on January 10th with :

2023-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5022303)

And all issues with the 2.5 SSD have gone! I can no longer trigger the issues I had previously. The drive is now present after hibernating, restarting or shutting down.

I cannot ascertain anything specific in Microsoft's KB5022303 notes which would have impacted the NUC's 2.5 drive functionality, but my understanding of these software/hardware relationships is remedial at best.

Thank you n_scott_pearson, MRoss5200, Hugo O for your kind efforts in helping me sort this out. If the issue returns I'll reopen this topic. Fingers crossed I can now fully enjoy my NUC without issue.

Cheers!

Hugo_Intel

Hello Spaffinator5000

We are glad to know you found a solution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.