Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12528 Discussions

NUC12WSHi5 power led stays on for 2-3 minutes after shutdown or during restart

evanzel
Beginner

I have my brand new NUC12WSHi5 for a week now and it exhibits a strange behavior.

It came with BIOS 0085. I immediately updated with 0086 seeing it is currently the latest.

Then I installed windows 11 pro and the drivers in the nuc's support page.

What happens is that sometimes when I shut it down and after the monitors have lost signal the power led stays on for about 2 to 3 minutes before it goes off.

The annoying thing is that it happens even in restarting windows. Everything seems to have been shut off, but I have to wait for 2 to 3 minutes watching the power led, before it starts again.

The worrying thing is that it seems to be random. It may happen every other shutdown/reboot or it may behave properly for a few shutdowns before it happens again.

I am afraid this is not software related, excluding the drivers. How can I properly investigate this?

A second strange thing. I have two monitors connected using the two HDMI ports. When it boots up, in the BIOS phase, or when in the BIOS, both monitors show the same thing. I have not seen this in any of my previous nucs. It used to be that in the BIOS phase, only the first monitor was being used.

Is this normal? is it some setting, I am missing?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Hugo_Intel

Hello @evanzel

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your Intel® NUC 12 Pro Mini PC NUC12WSHi5.

Please let's try the following:

1.-Run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) to make sure all drivers are up to date.

2.-Download and run  Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver for Windows® 11 64-bit for Intel® NUC if not installed yet. Then, change the Windows power management setting for the Intel Management Engine Interface:

• Press the Windows key and X.
  • Select Device Manager.
  • Expand the System devices section.
  • Right-click the Intel Management Engine Interface and select Properties.
  • On the Power Management tab, uncheck the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
  • Click OK.
  • Close Device Manager.

3.-If the issue continues to happen please provide me with the logs from Intel® System Support Utility to further research the issue.

evanzel
Beginner

Thanks for helping with this.

Intel DSA shows only the Bluetooth driver as an available update. Funnily it is the same version (22.160.0.3), it keeps installing it and it keeps suggesting it.

The Management Engine Consumer driver was installed. same version as in the link.

I unchecked the "allow the computer to ....".

The next two restarts after I unchecked this had the dreaded 2 minute delay, so not fixed.

I share here the logs from SSU.

Hugo_Intel

Hello evanzel 

Thank you for the information provided.   

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.  

Best regards,  

Hugo O.   

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Hugo_Intel

Hello evanzel 

Please let's try the following:

1. Please do a clean installation of the following Graphics Driver.
  2. Clear Cmos Battery:
  • Disconnect all cables from the NUC( mouse, keyboard, power cable).
  • Remove the bottom cover of the NUC.
  • Locate the Cmos Battery Connector(see page 17-18 of the attached document)
  • Disconnect the Cmos Battery cable from the connector and leave it disconnected for around 10 minutes.
  • After 10 minutes reconnect the Cmos Battery cable.
  • Reassemble the NUC and check if the issue persists

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

evanzel
Beginner

I did all the steps.

Uninstalled graphics drivers, clean installation of this specific driver, disconnected cmos cable for 10 minutes.

I then made 10 restarts from windows one after another, doing nothing in between.

Two of them had a 3 minute delay. Something is still not quite right.

Hugo_Intel

Hello evanzel

Thank you for completing the troubleshooting.

I will continue doing further research on this issue. I will post back as soon as I have an update.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Hugo_Intel

Hello evanzel

Thank you for your patience.

The next step to try getting this issue fixed will be to do a clean Windows installation on your system, however, if the issue persists, I would like to recommend you process the RMA with us, after verifying that your warranty is still active here, directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can look up contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography: 

U.S. and Canada: Intel Customer Support 

Europe, Middle East, and Africa: Intel Customer Support EMEA  

Asia-Pacific: Intel Customer Support APAC  

Latin America: Intel Customer Support LAR

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Hugo_Intel

Hello evanzel

We understand you have opened a web ticket support case with us to continue support, and we will continue to help you through that channel now. We will therefore close this community case. Please, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Thanks for your understanding.   

Best regards 

Hugo O.   

Intel Customer Support Technician.