Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12543 Discussions

NUC12WSHi7 Doesn't see WIN10PRO CD install

AlanF
Beginner

I just got a Intel NUC12WSHi7 barebones. Added memory and disk drives.used F7 and updated the BIOS using a flsh drive containing WS0086.CAP from the Intel website. All went well. I then attached an external CD/DVD and inserted a Windows 10 PRO disk. Upon restart I receive the message "A bootable device has not been detected". I've repeated this several times, looking in the BIOS where I see the CD/DVD drive showup as a UEFI bootable device choice. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Is the Windows 10 disk legacy boot?

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @AlanF 

1. I suggest you install Windows using the following method:
2. Instead of using installation CD, please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB – 32GB USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. This will install the latest version.
3. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
4. With the installation media inserted into the rear USB slot, power ON your NUC and repeatedly press F10 to get Boot Menu.
5. In this menu, choose the UEFI option of your Installation media.
6. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation.
7. In para. 9 you may enter the Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought .
8. Skip on para. 14 and continue in para. 15. Important, do not format the drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
9. Press Next and continue with the installation.

10.Once you finished the Windows 10 installation, you should download and install all drivers for your NUC.
The drivers you may find on Intel Download Page for your NUC. You have to manually download and install the Chipset Device Software as a first driver. Once you have this driver installed, reboot your NUC and continue with the other drivers (Graphics, WiFi, etc,...). The sequence of the installation is now not important and you must reboot your NUC only once, after the last driver is installed.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Al and Leon are correct; you cannot use Legacy install with M.2 SSDs. Use Leon's procedure for building new installation media.

...S