Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12506 Discussions

NUC12WSKi70Z: Monitor shows as "Generic PnP" in Device manager. Windows are resized after sleep.

cjessing
Novice

So on my newly installed NUC NUC12WSKi70Z (Windows 10 Pro), every time the machine wakes up after sleep all open windows are resized and repositioned. I can see that my monitor (Samsung C34H890WGU) shows as "Generic PnP Monitor" in Device Manager so I'm wondering if I have the right display driver installed. I tried uninstalling the monitor from the device manager but a scan for hardware changes just recreates the "Generic PnP Monitor".

Obviously the monitor is connected thru HDMI and not display port.

My Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics driver displays as follows in IDSA:

• ProviderIntel Corporation
  • Version31.0.101.3729
  • Date3/10/2022

Should I expect the Device Manager to show my monitor as a recognized Samsung monitor?

0 Kudos
42 Replies
itsme
New Contributor I

it's a annoying Windows feature, because when your monitor goes to sleep the monitor gets deactivated and Windows switches internally to a  default monitor definition. Unfortunately its default resolution does not match your real monitor's resolution. This will resize and move all available windows to fit into the virtual screeen.
You can prevent this by editing some keys in the registry. Please create a 'System Restore point' first.
Normally, it's enough to tweak the settings for the  'SIMULATED' or 'MSNILSIMULATED'  keys. Start with those. No need to edit other keys, as they belong to real monitors that were connected previously / or are connected right now.

https://www.performance-computer.com/learn/prevent-windows-10-from-resizing-open-windows/

cjessing
Novice

Thanks! I have now changed every value for ActiveSize/PrimSurfSize cx/cy to the correct values for both 00 and 00/00. There has ever only been the same monitor connected.

The thing is I can't get my NUC to really sleep. Choosing Start -> Power -> Sleep just shows the lock screen image. It doesn't hibernate or sleep the computer. And when I click my mouse I get directly onto my desktop without having to enter password or anything (writing this makes me think it has to be some sort of "lock when sleep" setting somewhere). Locking it first is a bit better as I'm prompted for my password when waking it up again.

But the missing ability to make it sleep is pretty annoying...

Claus

itsme
New Contributor I

1.  did you restart the system?

2.  just switch off you monitor  for a few seconds. When you turn it back on, no windows should have been moved or resized.

3.  what does  powercfg  /a   report?

cjessing
Novice

Good morning

Switching off and on my monitor seemed to have left everything as it should. I'll just wait to see how it behaves during the day.

Here's the report:

C:\Users\Claus>powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

cjessing
Novice

Nope - unfortunately still no dice Now I've changed every sing value both 00, 00/00, 01, 01/00. Every value that might have been an x or y value. Let's see how it goes...

cjessing
Novice

Still nothing... when it comes back from sleep, the windows have been reszed and moved to the upper left corner. The values in the registry has changed. I have now installed MS PowerToys to at least make it easier to get the windows back in position.

itsme
New Contributor I

very strange.  Yes sometimes there are <key>/01/00  entries too.  

You need to restart the system  after changing the registry values.  You have fast-startup enabled, so you need to reboot and not a shutdown (powerdown) / power on cycle.

You can temporarily adjust  the 'screen' and 'sleep'  timeouts in  Power & Sleep settings.
Screen time out  1 minute  and   let windows switch off the monitor and wait until monitor is in stand-by mode.

Without the registry tweaks you may see windows moved and resized after windows switched off the monitor.

you can try the same with the sleep timeout,  set it to  5 Minutes

cjessing
Novice

Well what I've done now is to delete the entire Configuration node from the registry. I did it this way:

1. Setup registry editor ready to delete node ("Are you sure? Yes/No")
  2. Unplugged the monitor
  3. Enter to accept "Yes"
  4. Alt-F4 twice. Once to close the registry editor and once more to bring up the "Shutdown" dialog
  5. Enter to shutdown
  6. Plug monitor back in
  7. Power on

Now I only have 3 nodes under my Configuration node. Before I had 6 or 8 or something. Will keep my fingers crossed...

itsme
New Contributor I

to answer your initial question regarding 'Generic PNP',  you can find a small 'driver' package on Samsung's support site. This only installs a  color profile and may change the name in device manager.

I noticed now that the installed  Intel GFX driver  is  version 31.0.101.3729. But on the website the latest validated driver for this nuc is an older version 31.0.101.1999.  Not sure why it's still so old. But maybe you want to upgrade to a newer version 21.0.101.3790 that was released just a few days after version 101.3729.

itsme
New Contributor I

@cjessing wrote:

Well what I've done now is to delete the entire Configuration node from the registry. I did it this way:

1. Setup registry editor ready to delete node ("Are you sure? Yes/No")

there are more antries to delete
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors

best to export them to disk first

Then you can also delete all monitors in device manager / enable  option 'show hidden devices'

No need to disconnect the monitor, just restart the system

cjessing
Novice

@itsme wrote:

there are more antries to delete

Good morning and a happy Christmas to all

This didn't help and I'm left with @LeonWaksman suggestion to reset the graphics driver. This will be by next attempt...

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. After display is resized, reset the Graphics Driver:  Press Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B. This should bring back your display to the right size.

2. In your first post you mentioned that you have installed Graphics Driver version 31.0.101.3729. This is quite new Graphics Driver (however not the latest). In spite of that it wasn't validated for your NUC yet. I suggest that you download Intel® Chipset Device Software and the validated for your NUC,  Graphics Driver version 30.0.101.1999.  Download the Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver.  Next disconnect the internet.
3. Now, open the Display Manager and open Display adapters tab.  Right click on the Intel Graphics Driver and then click on uninstall (check "Attempt to remove this device..."). Once the driver is uninstalled, reboot your NUC. Check in DM that you have now Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver instead of Intel Graphics Driver. If not yet, repat this para.

4. Install the Intel Chipset Device Software and the ME Consumer Driver. Reboot your NUC.

5. Finally install the previously downloaded Intel Graphics Driver.

6. Check.

Leon

itsme
New Contributor I

@LeonWaksman wrote:

1. After display is resized, reset the Graphics Driver:  Press Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B. This should bring back your display to the right size.

I've read that as  desktop has the expected size but ONLY open windows / programs have been resized and moved to upper left corner of the desktop.  This is something I've seen as well with some systems, and the registry changes do prevent this.

It's possible that this only happens when Windows was installed with a FHD monitor and later  monitor was replaced with a QHD or 4K monitor. Not sure

cjessing
Novice

@LeonWaksman wrote:

3. Now, open the Display Manager and open Display adapters tab.

Do you mean Device Manager? I can't seem to find anywhere it says "Attempt to remove this device..."

LeonWaksman
Super User
Device Manager, of course.
Leon
LeonWaksman
Super User

@cjessing wrote:

I can't seem to find anywhere it says "Attempt to remove this device..."

Screenshot_20221225_093546.png

cjessing
Novice

Well... nothing seems to help... unfortunately... I'll just use FancyZones from MS PowerToys and that'll keep me going... unless you have any other ideas (I'm reluctant to upgrade to Win11) then I'll just say thanks for your input @itsme and @LeonWaksman .

LeonWaksman
Super User

@cjessing  "Well... nothing seems to help... unfortunately..." 

From the SSU report I can see the following: 

- the installed Graphics Driver is Driver Version:"31.0.101.3790" and not the validated 31.0.101.1999

- the Chipset Device Software wasn't installed

- the Management Engine Interface wasn't installed

So, why you expect your NUC to work correctly?

With this massage I end my support in your case.

Leon

itsme
New Contributor I

when does the resizing of program windows happen?

1. monitor goes to standby but system is still running. You wake up the monitor and find the windows on desktop in the upper left corner?
  2. system awakes  from  'sleep'  mode
  3. does this also happen when you send the system into hybernate?

could you please download the Intel Support Support Utility ?   Start it, select   everything and start the scan,  save the result as a file  and attach it here.

Then open the registry editor  and export (not delete)  the data  found in 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
on the left pane select Configuration 'folder', right mouse button -> export  and attach the file as well.

Then I would like to see the sleepstudy report.  Open a  command prompt as 'Administrator'

then change the working directory  to your Documents folder with the command:
  cd %HOMEPATH%\documents  

and run the command   powercfg /sleepstudy /duration 28   and attach the sleepstudy-report.html  too.
you can open the html report  into a browser if you like to review it first.

cjessing
Novice

So it happens when the computer is coming back from sleep. I've set it to sleep after 10 mins and that's when it goes into this state where it "shuts down" and the light in the power button starts to "pulse". Then when I wake it up by pressing a key on the keyboard and log back in the windows (or should I say window - often only a browser) are moved to the upper left corner (0,0) and resized. From time to time I erase the dimmed monitors in the Device Manager under the "Monitors" node. Often just a "Digital Flat Panel (640x480 60Hz)".

It appears to be working if I "wake up" the machine before it goes to sleep. Ie within the 10 minutes before it actually goes to sleep...

I've attached the requested 3 files as a single .zip file as I'm not allowed to attache html files.